Best Multi Vitamin

I'm looking for Vegan supliments. I want to find one that's cheap with the best variety of Vits and minerals.

Currently I'm looking at several types.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=vegane&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=101848781&Count2=18989205&CategoryID=43&Target=products.asp

^ Made by Veglife. Anyone use it/them( the company? )

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=vegane&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=101848781&Count2=18989205&CategoryID=43&Target=products.asp

^ Is this any good? It looks yummy.

If there's any other (Better) vitamin please let me know. I'll be buying them soon.

Those links take you to the main categories, not the actual product. So I'm not sure what vitamins you are looking at. To me, the most important recommendation when it comes to supplements is to stay away from synthetic vitamins - vegan or not.

To me, the most important recommendation when it comes to supplements is to stay away from synthetic vitamins - vegan or not.

DV you are like a breath of fresh air! I couldn't be happier to hear a recommendation like this. Many cannot grasp this concept and take in synthetics all the time causing all sorts of imbalances in the body.

Dr. Pink, if you can get your hands on 'the truth about vitamins, minerals and antioxidants' -By Judith Decava.

It is a super fast read and you'll never look at synthetics the same way again.

Emergenc is synthetic btw.

Synergy is a great company and they aren't the cheapest but there stuff is very good. Good things sometimes cost a good amt of money.

http://www.synergy-co.com/pages/vita-synergy.html

I also love the fact of how they call out how most supplement producers use beetle secretion (Shellac) to coat their pills as well as glues and petrochemicals..

Thanks for that Link LEan and Green . I'll look into that vitamin( And the book ) when I have the money. As for now I have a budget of around 15-20 bucks. MY mom's buying it for me and we don't have a lot to spend. In fact just getting me vitamins is a stretch but she realizes that B-12( After I told her how important it was ) is very important to my health.

So I'm looking for a Multi-Vitamin since I heard that It's a better choice to pick your B-12 in Multi-vitamin form so you get more. I'm scourging Veganessentials and I found several affordable vitamins around 7-14 bucks but I have no idea if there Synthetic.

What are some examples of Multi-Vitamins you guys take?

• 3 weeks later...
To me, the most important recommendation when it comes to supplements is to stay away from synthetic vitamins - vegan or not.

DV, curious do you take a multi? If so, which one? Seems to me I should be looking for a Whole Food (non-synthetic) Vegan Multi-Vitamin without Vitamin A or Beta-Carotene. Does one exist?

Something I noticed and wanted to post, in case you were not aware:

Per that company's web site, it uses D3 in its vitamin. D3 is derived from animal skin. D2 is the yeast based vitamin D.

I completely forgot about that. Yeh I remember coming across that fact as well. Weird how they're concerned about beetle juice yet they don't mind shaving down wool in a farmed environment. I think they claimed that the sheep very taken care of very well or something. I just recalled Gabriel Cousens recommending this brand and just assumed it was vegan because he is.

Perhaps these could be beneficial? I'll try and look around or see if I can remember anything i've come across in the past.

Vitamins from Fruit

Vitamins from vegetables

What does everyone think about the latest rave about ionic trace minerals? It's fairly new; i've only seen them around the last 2 1/2 yrs or so....

Ionic Trace Minerals

Alot of places have their own formuations. I personally don't buy into it. There's only so many things I wish to take outside of the realm of actual food. I'm not sold on them, personally... just eat seaweed, no??

DV, curious do you take a multi? If so, which one? Seems to me I should be looking for a Whole Food (non-synthetic) Vegan Multi-Vitamin without Vitamin A or Beta-Carotene. Does one exist?

Troy,

I am currently taking a number of supplements. I don't trust soil quality and know of no one who has been harmed by taking these amounts, so:

Rainbow Light Just Once MV/Mineral - 1 or 2 per day

Solgar Vit E 400 IU - as D-Alpha Tocopherols

VegLife Vegan D 400-2000 I.U. except in summer months

Solaray Calcium,Magnesium,Zinc - 500 mg per day

Vit C - 1000 mg

B-Complex

B12 weekly

Vegan DHA/EPA supplement

I change companies depending on what's on sale when I shop.

You may want to listen to this talk by Dr. Greger as well.

You take Veglife? So I guess there non-synthetic. I came close to buying that one but held off. What brand B-12 do you take weekly?

When it comes to vitamins I think Vit E (dl-alpha is the synthetic) and Vit A are the worst synthetics. There is some research that points to a mixed tochopherol supplement being better than just d-alpha. Keep in mind that "natural" Vit C pills contain mostly ascorbic acid because it would be too expensive to make them out of rose hips. Vit A possibly should be mixed carotenoids rather than 100% beta-carotene. I don't believe the other vitamins (with the exception of vit D from mushrooms) come food based vs. laboratory-produced (although they are all, of course, produced in a lab). Some of the minerals come with "amino acid chelates" but I'm not sure if this really increases the absorption because I haven't researched it.

As for Vit B12, I currently am taking a Twin Labs formula. I think Trader Joe's might also have a vegetarian form.

When it comes to vits/minerals I look for vegetarian or 100% vegetarian on the label. Not all brands carry the Vegan sign although Rainbow Light and VegLife are clearly labeled.

That is the extent of my knowledge. There is a lot of controversy and mis-information surrounding vitamin and mineral supplementation. Sometimes I have a difficult time keeping up with it. For now, I think it's a low risk type of supplementation with the potential for great rewards so I take them.

At the very least, please supplement with B12 and omega 3 fatty acids (flax - 2 Tbls ground or 1 tsp oil and a direct source of DHA and EPA if you can find them. If not, get your omega 6 to 3 ratio as close as possible and no more than 4:1). Vegan diets, unless you're talking about some supplemented processed foods, contain NO B12 and too little omega 3 fatty acids. There is no getting around this and you can feel fine for years while the lack of these nutrients are setting you up for chronic disease in later years.

Pink, your diet is lacking in so many nutrients right now. I hope your financial situation changes so that you can add more healthy food choices and more variety. Vitamins are no substitute for whole foods but in your case they may be even more important as compared to someone who eats well. If you haven't done so, listen to the talks by Dr. Greger and read the book "Becoming Vegan." The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has some good information but it's not as updated as Dr. Greger's website. I don't know what your nutritional status was when you were heavy, what it was during your weight loss or what it is now. I have a suspicion you have experienced some form of malnutrition during all of those phases and have some catching up to do.

Pink, your diet is lacking in so many nutrients right now. I hope your financial situation changes so that you can add more healthy food choices and more variety. Vitamins are no substitute for whole foods but in your case they may be even more important as compared to someone who eats well. If you haven't done so, listen to the talks by Dr. Greger and read the book "Becoming Vegan." The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has some good information but it's not as updated as Dr. Greger's website. I don't know what your nutritional status was when you were heavy, what it was during your weight loss or what it is now. I have a suspicion you have experienced some form of malnutrition during all of those phases and have some catching up to do.

Yes, but I do have to give him props for looking into multi-vitamins.

It is a HUGE step in the right direction from extremes I've seen in prior posts, so YAY for you Dr. Pink.

I would almost say that because your diet lacks sufficient nutrients (as DV said), perhaps investing in a Live Foods vitamins that has a wide variety of vits/mins would be a good step. I'm trying to think of one that was recommended here that some board members say is great... Vital Greens? something like that. I'd have to research it.

I know Veglife has a pretty good multi vitamin. And since DV uses one I assume that they all should be suitable. I'll post the info/nutrition info here.

This vegan multi is an excellent well-rounded formula to provide a sound balance of the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs. Available in both Iron-Free and Iron formulas. 120 tablet bottle for $23.79.

Other ingredients: Vegetable Cellulose, Rice Flour, Magnesium Stearate, Sodium Alginate, Pea Starch, Isolated Soy Protein, Calcium Phosphate and VegiBlendâ„¢ (Carrot, Broccoli and Tomato Concentrates)

http://www.veganessentials.com/images/MultiVegEnergyChart.gif

Or

The only vegan multi-vitamin we’ve seen that’s made with 70% organic ingredients, this incredible whole food supplement helps you get the essential vitamins and minerals you need naturally to keep you balanced. Made with naturally-occurring active forms of the B complex, full-complex vitamin E and phytonutrients including sulforaphan, anthocyanins, lycopene, lutein and more, this formula is truly a comprehensive natural supplement without all the artificially-created ingredients that most formulas have. 90 capsules per bottle. $33.99.

Ingredients: Organic acerola cherry, organic broccoli sprouts, organic carrots, organic tomatoes, organic citrus, mixed tocotrienols (from palm fruit oil), Brewer's yeast, vegetable cellulose capsule

Supplement Facts:

Serving size - 3 capsules

Servings per bottle - 30

Vitamin A (as beta-carotene) - 1500iu / 30% DV

Vitamin C - 60mg / 100% DV

Vitamin E (as Mixed tocopherols) - 30iu / 100% DV

Thiamin (as thiamin 5-phosphate) - 1.5mg / 100% DV

Riboflavin (as riboflavin 5-phosphate) - 1.7mg / 100% DV

Niacin (as nictotinamide) - 20mg / 100% DV

Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5-phosphate) - 2mg / 100% DV

Folate (as folinic acid) - 400mcg / 100% DV

Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) - 6mcg / 100% DV

Biotin - 300mcg / 100% DV

Pantothenic Acid (as pantothine) - 10mg / 100% DV

Calcium (as calcium citrate) - 32mg / 3% DV

Iodine (kelp) - 150mcg / 100% DV

Magnesium (as magnesium citrate) - 27.5mg / 7% DV

Zinc (as zinc citrate) - 9mg / 60% DV

Selenium (as amino acid chelate) - 30mcg / 43% DV

Copper (as amino acid chelate) - 750mcg / 38% DV

Manganese (as manganese citrate) - 750mcg / 38% DV

Chromium (as amino acid chelate) - 20mcg / 100% DV

Molybdenum (as amino acid chelate) - 75mcg / 100% DV

Organic blueberry - 180mg

Organic spinach - 200mg

Organic Brussels sprouts - 200mg

Organic kale - 180mg

Or maybe this one

Ultimate Matrix provides the full spectrum of nutrient support, all bonded to 100% pure kosher certified spirulina and combined with specific synergistic herbal extracts for men. Spirulina was chosen for bio-availability as it is a widely-acknowledged superfood that has nature’s highest protein content and is loaded with natural vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. The nutrients in Ultimate Matrix are fully reacted and conjugated to possess all the properties found in concentrated whole foods including proteins, lipids, glycoproteins, lipoproteins, nucleoproteins, complex carbohydrates, phytopigments, flavonoids, fatty acids, enzymes, coenzymes and fiber. This formula contains the optimum levels of 18 vitamins, 6 macro minerals, 5 micro minerals, and 72 trace minerals. Finding a more complete vitamin won’t be easy when you stack other brands against Ultimate Matrix! Free of wheat, yeast, soy and corn. Each bottle contains 90 tablets. Normally $19.95 per bottle, now on manufacturer's special for $13.95!

Supplement facts:

Serving size – 3 tablets

Servings per bottle – 30

18 Vitamins

Vitamin A (Beta Carotene from Spirulina) – 2500iu (50% DV)

Vitamin A (Spirulina-Bound Palmitate) – 2500iu (50% DV)

Vitamin D (Spirulina-Bound Ergocalciferol – 100iu (25% DV)

Vitamin E (Spirulina-Bound D-Alpha tocopherol) – 200iu (670% DV)

Vitamin C (Spirulina-Bound and buffered calcium ascorbate) – 500mg (830% DV)

Lemon Bioflavonoid Complex (Spirulina-Bound) – 100mg (*)

Vitamin B1 (Spirulina-Bound Thiamine HCL) – 25mg (1665% DV)

Vitamin B2 (Spirulina-Bound Riboflavin) – 25mg (1470% DV)

Vitamin B3 (Spirulina-Bound Niacin) – 25mg (125% DV)

Vitamin B6 (Spirulina-Bound Pyrodoxine HCL) – 25mg (1250% DV)

Pyidoxal-5-phosphate (Spirulina-Bound) – 2mg (*)

Vitamin B12 (Spirulina-Bound Cyanocobalamin) – 50mcg (830% DV)

Biotin (Spirulina-Bound) – 100mcg (30% DV)

Folic Acid (Spirulina-Bound) – 800mcg (100% DV)

Vitamin B5 (Spirulina-Bound d-Calcium Pantothenate) – 50mg (500% DV)

PABA (Spirulina-Bound Para Amino Benzoic Acid) – 25mg (*)

Choline (Spirulina-Bound Choline Bitartrate) – 50mg (*)

Inositol (Spirulina-Bound) – 50mg (*)

Enzymes (digestive aides)

Papain (from papaya) – 10mg (*)

Bromelain (from pineapple) – 10mg (*)

Phytonutrients from 100% pure spirulina - 2100mg

Chlorophyll (green pigment) – 20mg (*)

Phycocyanin (blue pigment) – 280mg (*)

Carotenoids (orange pigment) – 7mg (*)

6 Macro Minerals, 5 Micro Minerals, and 72 Trace Minerals

Calcium (Spirulina-Bound calcium carbonate) – 200mg (20% DV)

Magnesium (Spirulina-Bound magnesium oxide) – 100mg (20% DV)

Potassium (Spirulina-Bound Potassium aspartate) – 10mg (0.4% DV)

Iron (Spirulina-Bound ferrous aminoate) – 5mg (28% DV)

Zinc (Spirulina-Bound zinc aminoate) – 10mg (67% DV)

Manganese (Spirulina-Bound selenium aminoate) – 5mg (250% DV)

Selenium (Spirulina-Bound selenium aminoate) – 50mcg (70% DV)

GTF Chromium (Spirulina-Bound GTF chromium) – 50mcg (40% DV)

Copper (Spirulina-Bound copper aminoate) – 500mcg (25% DV)

Molybdenum (Spirulina-Bound) – 50 mcg (*)

Vanadium (Spirulina-Bound) – 50mcg (*)

Montmorillonite (Spirulina-Bound) – 10mg (*)

Male herbal co-factors

Panax Ginseng 6:1 – 50mg (*)

Saw Palmetto extract 6:1 – 25mg (*)

Pumpkin Seed extract 6:1 – 25mg (*)

Sarsaparilla extract 6:1 – 25mg (*)

Other ingredients: Magnesium stearate, natural vegan food glaze

As for B-12 this was the one I originally wanted to look into but was not sure of

If you’re looking for a quick-absorbing form of B-12 that’s more effective than standard cyanocobalamin tablets, this sub-lingual spray is just what you need. Just one spray under the tongue delivers 500mcg of methylcobalamin, the neurologically active form of B-12 that’s far more effective than the usual tablets that vegans normally take. You’ll get the maximum benefits of B-12 with this spray, including increased energy levels, improved sleep, reduced stress, improved immune function, and improved mental alertness. 175 servings per bottle. $16.95 each.

Ingredients: Purified water, vegetable glycerin, potassium sorbate

As far as I can see, every single one of those you mentioned above Dr. Pink, are almost all completely synthetic. If I come across something good, i'll try and send it your way. I have never taken a multi so I really don't know what to suggest. I get my vitamins and minerals from the supergreens.

Cubby, I haven't noticed a difference. I do not believe that there is a negative feedback system for digestive enzymes (unlike steroids, for instance). However, I haven't researched this. My understanding is that your GI tract releases enzymes based on what you feed it - I'm not sure if your body recognizes digestive enzymes along with food. Depending on where the enzymes work, it's very possible that they are denatured by your gastric acid before getting to where they're needed - if, for instance they do their work in the duodenum or small intestine.

If I were to research this, I wouldn't look to sources from companies that sell enzyme supplements but rather from objective sources.

As Lean and Green pointed out, many multivitamins contain synthetic ingredients. I don't deny this. However, there are some synthetically produced ingredients that are unhealthy and some that appear to be helpful or at least don't cause harm.

Taking a vitamin supplement is a personal choice. I will again state that the most harmful synthetics (to date) appear to be vit A (includes palminate) and vit E (dl-alpha tocopherol). Additionally, there may be a negative feedback system at work if you only take d-alpha tocopherol so a mixed tocopherol supplement may be best. Also, taking high doses of any one particular vit B is not a good idea - a B-complex is best (or B vitamins in a multi).

Again, these are my opinions only. Ten years from now this could all be wrong but I doubt that. SOME of it will be correct, I'm sure. IMO, I live in a very unnatural world and "natural" tools are not enough to fight back. It would take more years than my lifetime for the human body to adapt to our current world so I'll use whatever manmade advantages I can. Technology is a double-edged sword. I use manmade materials and drugs every day at work and I could not safely or comfortably get patients through an operation without them. I am not anti-synthetic unless it is harmful.

Years ago Consumer Reports did an investigation into vitamins. Their findings angered a lot of people in the vitamin industry. The first they had to say is that a vitamin is a vitamin no matter where it comes from once it is pure, isolated. Pure isolated vitamin C is the exact same chemical whether it is synthetically made or extracted from rose hips. Their other big finding was that the most relevant quality in a supplement for consumers is how quickly a supplement dissolves. If it doesn't break down fast enough your body will not get to use it ( take your supplements with a tall glass of water and food to maximize this ).

They found that many bargain basement drug store generic vitamins out performed expensive vitamin brands geared toward health enthusiasts in this regard.

To me the study didn't seem like it showed any multi as being good...only less bad. I say eat everything and you'll be far better off. B12 is all you need...just make sure you eat right other than that.

I do my best to get all my vitamins, and minerals from food based sources. I however know that I come up short in many areas. Although I haven't seen any problems regarding my workouts, and energy levels I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add some sort of green powder.

Keep in mind that the vitamin and mineral quality of foods are GREATLY affected by:

What soil they were grown in

When they were harvested

How they were stored before they got to you

How you store them

How long before you eat them

How you prepare them

Additionally, humans need 20-something different minerals but plants only need about 16 or so. Therefore, a very healthy looking plant can be "lacking" in minerals depending on the soil. There are many nutritionally deficient, but not sickly looking, people walking around and I would think the same could be said for plants - organic or not.

Again, these are my opinions only. Ten years from now this could all be wrong but I doubt that. SOME of it will be correct, I'm sure. IMO, I live in a very unnatural world and "natural" tools are not enough to fight back. It would take more years than my lifetime for the human body to adapt to our current world so I'll use whatever manmade advantages I can. Technology is a double-edged sword. I use manmade materials and drugs every day at work and I could not safely or comfortably get patients through an operation without them. I am not anti-synthetic unless it is harmful.

I agree. We aren't eating as hunter/gatherers anymore, eating lots of wild foods. What we eat is heavily cultivated and may be grown in nutrient poor soil, among many other things. I think taking a multi is a good insurance policy, just so long as you take a kind which is supported by the latest research.

Cubby brings up a very good point about wild foods. Who knows how many nutrients we have bred out of foods in order to make them bigger, hardier, tastier, etc. If you have access to wild foods then definitely make them a part of your diet.

At this time of the year we have ramps, fiddleheads, dandelion greens, stinging nettles and mushrooms in my area. Almost all areas have dandelion greens and wood sorrel - both of which can be eaten raw. Taking a foraging class or meeting up with a local forager in your area can be a lot of fun. There's more free food out there than we realize.

And if anyone from Portland knows of a good wild blueberry patch please bring me along with you when you gather this year.