Has anyone had a similar experience?

Amy

I went to Chicago this weekend to see a concert. After the concert was finished I went to an IHOP (International House of pancakes) to eat. What I ordered came with vegetarian chili. The menu even advertised it was vegetarian. After I had eaten several bites I bit into a piece of bacon. Since I have not eaten meat in a year, I was upset by the experience but tried my best not to let it show. Of course the waitress and the manager were very helpful and very apologetic. I wasn't charged for my meal either. I was wondering if anyone else has had food mixups like this when they have gone out to eat, and how they handled it.

Hey.

Marcina has a thread where a smilar thing happened to her and several others talked about similar experiences.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10772&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

In the past I have found out things that I had one consumed, had stuff in the that I didn't know but I can't think of any instances where they actually had a noticeable piece of something in a veggie type dish.

For me, I used to consume Miso soup at restaurants as I made it myself and enjoyed it until I learned later on that most places use fish in their broth to make it. EWW!!!!

I wonder, did they say it was a mistake (sounds like one) or did they just outright label it a vegetarian and include bacon in the recipe bc that would be really strange....

The manager said that a piece of bacon must have fallen into the chili. I didn't have to point out the menu. The manager and the waitress both said to me that they knew it was supposed to be vegetarian.

I'll check out the other post too. =) thanks!

In the south, especially where I am at, "vegetarian" usually just means it has vegetables in it. "Vegetable Plates" are likely to have more animal particulate matter than a steak. I my situation is different than most but I don't trust any restaurant unless I know for sure.

In my neck of the woods green beans don't come without the beef or chicken broth and even if you order a salad without dressing or with olive oil and vinegar, 9 times out of 10 it will come covered with bacon.

I doubt bacon fell into the chilli, someone put it in there because there typical patron wouldn't complain and they probably just assume all chilli comes with bacon.

I recall on another board someone wrote that he went to a roadside restaurant in Texas somewhere and he asked what he could get vegetarian. The waiter told the customer that he could get a jam sandwich.

The customer asked, “what is that.â€

Edited by 9nines

the bacon may or not arrived in the chili by mistake, who can tell, there's always things like that in restaurants, I know for I've been working in 4 or 5 different and there's always ing stuff, bad quality ingredients and not fresh or employees that don't bother cleaning their hands after going to the bathroom, etc. That's why I never eat in restaurants and never got any food poisoning.

How rude !!! He must not make any money in tips, if he's that rude to people.

My best bet is, you're safe to only eat in Vegan resturants.

If you were to eat in a non-vegan resturant. You're safe to order a big salad, and make sure their dressings don't have honey, dairy, etc...

I've gone to three different Chilis restaurants asking for the bean burrito made vegan. Each time I had a noticeable amount of cheese in them...not as much as a normal one but to me it seems they put cheese in and were rushing to get out as much as they could in a hurry. I don't think I'll ever go to one ever again even though they were all different cooks at different locations.

this happened to me in my school's dining hall: they usually offer 4 soups a day, and one of them is always labeled "vegetarian." i've been eating the vegetarian soup for a couple of years with no problems.

one day i got the "vegetarian chili" (first time i had the chili) and i was impressed that the school had gone so far as to get fake meat crumbles to put in the soup. for a second i thought it was real, but i've been here for a while now and there's never been a mistake...

a couple days later when they had the vegetarian chili again, i got it again and it was completely different--this time obviously vegetarian. i think somebody made a careless mistake the first time around and put the "vegetarian chili" sign on the regular chili. it sucked, but now i'm just more careful...

i try not to raise a big deal about stuff like that just because many people are turned off by vegans as it is, and i don't want to give them any real reason to be. i'll always bring it to someones attention, but i'll do it as politely as possible...

Thing is...a mislabeling like that can kill someone so people should be angry. Not many people have a deadly meat allergy but there are people who can die from various things in chili. These things are inexcusable...even if every cafeteria were completely vegan and they mislabeled things.