Favorite Bodybuilding Books

DV

I've been reading through the bodybuilding books in our local library and have come across some really good ones. Has anyone else?

Strength Training by the National Strength & Conditioning Association, edited by Lee Brown (different contributors). The one covers the basics, has good references and is a recent publication. It's probably too basic for advanced lifters but I think it answers a lot of beginner questions. http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training-Lee-E-Brown/dp/0736060596

Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. He also has a Women's Strength Training Anatomy. These books have great pictures and advice on how to properly perform certain exercises. http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training-Anatomy-Frederic-Delavier/dp/0736041850

I used to have Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding (back in the mid '90's), and I really loved that book for all the great advice and the pictures of the classic "Golden Days" guys. I probably read it a million times.

I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for though DV.

I enjoyed "Brawn" by Stuart McRobert. I think his style was very beneficial to me when I was younger. Certainly made a change from the other stuff you read in Flex (which was where I first read articles from him).

I don't read many weight training books or magazines these days, prefer the interaction and exchange of ideas you get online (plus it's free ).

Muscle Media 2000 had quite an impact on me I suppose, anyone remember that magazine?

I don't read many weight training books or magazines these days, prefer the interaction and exchange of ideas you get online (plus it's free ).

same goes for me.

however i do find it useful to read injury prevention books and some basic anatomy. the bodybuilding books i've read have mostly been shit.

I used to have Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding (back in the mid '90's), and I really loved that book for all the great advice and the pictures of the classic "Golden Days" guys. I probably read it a million times.

I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for though DV.

Arnie! Yeah, I used to work the late night shift at a radio station and would read that book to keep me awake. There was some great stuff in there. Did you ever try the sample routines? I remember them being obsene: high volume six days per week, deadlifting every other day in addition to squats. I love the pics where Arnold had that maniacal look on his face when lifting.

Mike

There was some great stuff in there. Did you ever try the sample routines? I remember them being obsene: high volume six days per week, deadlifting every other day in addition to squats.

Haha! I remember thinking that those workouts would take four hours! I think I often tried versions that were about half that size.

Training has moved on since then, but that book still has an emphasis on compound movements, which I like.

I also like Arnold's up beat, positive view on life that is runs throughout the book.

I also like Arnold's up beat, positive view on life that is runs throughout the book.

Me too! I remember skimming through the book and feeling so inspired that I would do a couple sets of neoprene dumbbell curls and think, "Yeah, I could be just as strong as the guys in that book." I have A LOT of respect for Arnold's attitude and his determination.

Another book that actually has some okay stuff in it (man, I am gonna get crap for this) is ... The Antonio Sabato Jr. Workout for Life. It sounds cheesy but he had some good supersetting routines in there. I think it was more for developing a fit-looking physique than it was for bodybuilding, though.

Mike

Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. He also has a Women's Strength Training Anatomy. These books have great pictures and advice on how to properly perform certain exercises. http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training-Anatomy-Frederic-Delavier/dp/0736041850

Saw this book when I went to "Body Worlds" at the Milwaukee Museum... I almost bought it... but held off because I currently have 10 books waiting for me to read. I am however picking up "Inside-Out: The Ultimate Upper Body Warm-up" by Bill Hartman and Mike Robertson. My shoulder is doing alot better after taking the advice from Eric Cressey at T-Nation. His Shoulder Saver articles are really helping.

Well, considering they were at my bb event and highlighted me in an article in the first and only show i've done so far (2002), I checked out their magazine and had it delievered to me and i still get it but just for some light reading not as a bible/staple for info. They photographed me several times there but they never gave me the pics or put them in the mag. I wish i had them as they were prof shots. I hope to do this again in the fall of 2009.

Natural Bodybuilding and Fitness.

They claim to be the only magazine dedicated to a drug free lifestyle and the article are pretty good. What aggravates me is the multitude of advertisements in it that highlights all the bbers that are on the sauce. There's a time and a place for everything and if it's a natural mag, imo, they should try to find a way around these advertisements but i guess they have to make money to keep it in print and the supplement industry wants to use these bbers for their ads. O well. Whatever the case, they're ok, nothing special but it's nice to look through and see all the natural inbf and wnbf athletes all throughout the book. They write articles and their shows are illustrated in the back, which is pretty cool!

I like these websites also:

http://www.westside-barbell.com

www.t-nation.com

I've never read any books on bbing whatsoever just surfed the net and learned through experience and gym buddies but it would be nice to buy a couple and start reading them. On the contrary, I have read an endless amount of books on nutrition/health....

I would love to read a book on HIT, perhaps a mike mentzer one or perhaps a book or video by mahler for kettlebell training. There is a sandbag class at equinoz gym in nyc that does the same movements as kettlebells except with sandbags so the cost of the equip to do it on you on is much cheaper.

I actually have read, Runner's World, "The Complete Book of Running" -Burfoot but that has absolutely nothing to do with bodybuilding...

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7241/coverxx0.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1803/articleeditedre4.jpg

I like to read Oxygen. Lots of good workout tips in there, but the recipes are rubbish.

Everything contains whey or egg whites. Eww. Even when I was non vegan I couldn't handle whey. It gave me the shits, and egg whites are just nasty. I'd rather eat glue. It has the same consistency.

Anyways, today I followed a leg routine I found in my latest issue of Oxy, and my legs are sooo sore! It was a really good workout.