Livestock serious environmental problem--more CO2 than cars

Katabatic

I don't know if this has been posted here, but perhaps being vegan for environmental reasons could be the most significant now.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20772&Cr=global&Cr1=environment

http://www.fao.org/ag/magazine/0612sp1.htm

Rearing cattle produces more greenhouse gases than driving cars, UN report warns

29 November 2006 – Cattle-rearing generates more global warming greenhouse gases, as measured in CO2 equivalent, than transportation, and smarter production methods, including improved animal diets to reduce enteric fermentation and consequent methane emissions, are urgently needed, according to a new United Nations report released today.

“Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems,â€

Methane is a very powerful greenhouse gas.

I read something about this not too long ago from a friend of mine, who's a vegetarian. She posted it on her Facebook page. I'm finding out a lot of my friends are vegetarian and I never even knew it! Lol

Nobody really eats at the rock n roll shows.

Articles similar to the one you posted are the sole reason I became Vegan. I care very much about the environment and global warming and when I read that methane from producing livestock for food was the #1 contributor to the man-made causes of global warming, that is when I went Vegan and never looked back.

I'm trying to find an Earth Day event to speak at to raise awareness about this even more. I've been given a couple leads.

Nobody believes me when I tell them that. People are ignorant. They just wanna make more excuses so they can shove more dead flesh in their mouths.

Btw, Dr. Pink, Rock and Roll shows ARE for getting drunk! But puking isn't really a fun thing to do.. LOL

I don't drink anyways. I'm wild enough without it haha

more co2? i thought it wasthe metane gas

The methane comes from the animals themselves, but livestock production is also an oil-intensive activity, with tremendous amounts of energy going into transportation of feed and meat, as well as production of fertilizer. Also, huge amounts of CO2 are released when they clear-cut Amazonian rainforests to grow soybeans to feed the farmed animals.

It's so f'ed up.