FOOD COMBINING (Please don't delete)

If your poop is bad bacteria free I invite you to eat it...or find a fellow vegan thats does "proper" food combing and eat his poo. Trust me...you're poo isn't scentless...you just get used to how it smells. As for animals not having smelly poop your strongly mistaken. Deer pee and poo smells terrible and you'd think it would attract predators...but they're very far away from anything once they relieve themselves(or at least they can be). Of all things...I can't believe I'm in an argument about whether poo should stink or not. This is rediculous...poo is poo...poo is a stinky word and its a stinky thing...even your poo.

Lol, I swear to G-d, my poop don't smell anything, not always, but sometimes. You're misleading because you think all small health problems are NORMAL because they're now eveywhere and it's common things for a lot of people since too long. I don't care if you don't believe me, but you're wrong if you say that I don't notice the scent of my poop because I'm used to it. Sometimes it smells, sometimes not, sometimes it smells different depending on what I ate or how combined, so how could my nose get used to things that change. It's not normal for everybody to stink from the inside so much that the putrefaction search for aa way to free itself so the person is a stinky bomb. Their skin, organs and organic wastes are like biological weapons against the people that are nearby.

I'm eating many fruits and greens. In the greeny leaves there's some chlorophyll which is an internal deodorant, plus I'm having even more chlorophyll by drinking a spoonful or two of chlorophyll concentrate when I think about it. I try to eat according to the food combining rules, maybe 60% of the times or more. And I give my body some chances to clean itself regulary by fasting for short period of times like 3 days/month, or eating only fruits, etc.

As for the animals, I must admit I said that without any proof, maybe they stink. But one thing is sure, they don't need any toilet paper, neither do I when I respect the good food combining rules at 100% for a minimum of 3 days in a row.

If we go back 2 centuries ago, people were asking something like : "how's your shit today ?" instead of "how are you" or "how's your health", because the way you shit, the time it takes, the odour, the frequency, etc, tells a lot about the health of a person.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine...you can agree with food combining but to say your poop doesn't stink is crazy. I can't smell my poop most of the time but everyone that goes in the bathroom after me sure does. I'm thinking nobody has ever gone to the bathroom after you or they're too kind to say anything. Food combining does not make your poo smell better. You're crazy!!!

Maybe we don't agree on the definition of "stink". There's different levels of stink. I'm not saying my shit does not have an odour at all, rare are the things in nature which are totally odorless like water. It's normal that shit has an odor, but not a stink. It's not because it's a waste that it must nesseceraly smell bad, there's actually some very beautiful things that stinks, while some toxic and dangerous products, organic or not, actually smell good and they use them in perfumes.

Edited by I'm Your Man

I feel much better if I eat a veggie burger, wait 3 hours and then drink the ketchup than if I just slab the ketchup right on the burger. That must count for something.

Also, I stink when I eat onion.

Yeah the ketchup is just like eating sugar (or fruit if it's natural ketchup) on grains and soy (the burger) so those things can create problems.

I've read we should eat onions only if they're cooked, or thinly sliced and let them breathe a few minutes or hours. Otherwise, if we eat freshly cut chunks of onions, it does the samething in your body and stomach than it does to our eyes!

I feel much better if I eat a veggie burger, wait 3 hours and then drink the ketchup than if I just slab the ketchup right on the burger. That must count for something.

Also, I stink when I eat onion.

Yeah the ketchup is just like eating sugar (or fruit if it's natural ketchup) on grains and soy (the burger) so those things can create problems.

lol @ taking his post seriously.

Um....okay.... I guess I'll chime in a completely different opinion then y'all since everyone seems to believe food combining is necessary.

I came across several articles a few years ago that said food combining is not as important as nutritionists/scientists once thought it was. That vegetarian foods did not need to be consumed together to form a complete protein. They said as long as you consume the foods within the same day, your bodies will get the aminos/complete proteins it needs to do its job.

This always made sense to me as well because I think that our bodies are very smart. I never believed much in theories that stressed eating certain things together such as not combining carbs and fats or eating fruit seperately, etc, or with Vegan food combining... having to eat the beans and rice together, etc.... I think our bodies are smarter than we give them credit for and I don't feel food combining is necessary, so if anyone has brand new data they can share with me.... I will listen.

Personally though.... I just feel we have enough to worry about if we're trying to get in protein, iron, B Vitamins, Vitamin C, etc, etc without adding food combining to the mix if its not absolutely necessary.

Anyone else agree or is everyone on this thread completely in agreement with food combining??

There's many people on this thread that don't believe in the combining rules! VeganPotter is one of the most fervent sceptic. They're the ones that don't apply the rules to their diet. Like omnivores who won't believe being vegan is better unless they try it.

The only persons that believe in combining rules (ChaserHun, me, flanders, andesuma) are the ones that put those rules into practice and see for themselves.

Yeah it's true we have already enough to worry about and that combining rules make everything more complex. But it can make things simpler instead... it encourage to simplify the meals to 1,2 or 3 ingredients, and the rules are quite simple:

-Just separate protein from carbs and fat

-Greens goes with everything (except fruits and sugar)

-Fruits and sugar alone (and don't mix acid and sweet fruits)

But the difficulty comes from learning to eat that way and it may take many years. For other people, the transition is very easy to make.

Also, some may say that our health is already lot better by being vegan, followeing the combining rules is just an extra we don't need to bother with.

There's this interresting webpage that ChaserHun made allusion when he first opened ths thread (and unfortunatly all the first posts were deleted).

http://the-vu.com/food_combining.htm

It's interresting because it shows arguments for both sides, for and against.

I agree with everything said in the first part; I do believe it is better to eat according to the food combining rules. And that if we don't, it can result in some health problems (small to severe and even deadly on long terms), and that we cannot achieve perfect heatlh without perfect digestion/ assimilation of the nutrients to the body.

VeggiePrincess, I don't have brand new data and proofs to support the theory, except everything that have already been said. But let's make it clear, there's no irrefutable proof for neither against this theory. Like often, we need to use our mind and see what makes sense. So here's my arguments. The quotes are from the text on the page I mentionned above (http://the-vu.com/food_combining.htm).

"For instance, eating protein with carbohydrates is supposed to cause the protein to not be digested, which will then ferment and putrefy, spending up to two years in the large intestine. It's all fiction.

2 years, really ? That is what we call fiction. 2 hours is reality.

This type of suggestion lives up to the "Tell a big enough lie and people believe it" school.

We could say the samething for the suggestion that we can mix anything together.

The body puts out a variety of digestive enzymes in combination. Digestion begins in the mouth, continues in the stomach, but really cranks up in the small intestine with different aspects of digestion occurring along the way. Pancreatic juice is secreted into the small intestine and contains enzymes that digest proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. We have evolved to eat meals of mixed foods.

Oh, so now they're saying that the food combining rules is the right way to eat, but that we have evolved!

I really doubt that our enzyme, secretive juices, and escpecially our organs like stomach and intestines are different from what they were thousands or millions years ago. Our brain is the only real evolution. We still have a very similar digestive system as chimps and gorillas.

"No human population has ever subsisted on eating single foods at a time."

That's false. Some primitive-like populations and natives eat mostly mono-meals. I don't think our ancestors and primates were making recipes and mixing more than 2 ingredients are same meal, but they obviously survived, otherwise we wouldn't be here today. And all the animals do that too, they're animals just like us, I don't see why we would need to eat complex meals just because we walk on our two legs or because our brain is more evolved.

Here's what you need to know. An especially ludicrous variant of the food combining theory is that when you don't digest foods properly, you get fat. Well, exactly the opposite happens - if you don't digest foods properly, you absorb fewer calories.

By saying this he discredits himself! He's saying that if we don't follow the combing rules, we lose weight because some of the calories are not digested and assimilated by our body... Anybody would agree that we want calories and vitamins we eat to be used properly. Why would we want to eat if the body can't use this energy properly?

In April 1996, The University of California at Berkeley Wellness Letter published the following:

Food combining: A myth that never dies.

As if people didn't have enough worries, there are always books on the market purveying notions about food combining. Some say that it's vital to eat foods in the right combinations - never combining, for instance, carbohydrates and protein at the same meal. They usually also recommend that fruits always be eaten raw and alone, because otherwise they will ferment and turn toxic in the stomach.

There's no evidence to support such contentions, according to Dr. Sheldon Margen, Professor Emeritus of Public Health Nutrition.

And they're not providing any evidence against it neither !

Nearly all foods are themselves combinations. If you eat beans, for example, you're getting carbohydrates (sugars and starches), protein and fiber, among other things.

That's the point! Nature thought about everything : most food already combines the vital 3 nutrients so we don't need to mix many foods.

Dr. Herbert S. Shelton said that a food combining carbs and proteins is easy to digest, but eating a food containing carbs and mix it with a food containing proteins is not the samething at all.

Bread combines protein, carbohydrates, a little fat and many other things.

Bread is not even a food in itself, it can't be found in nature, so why are they saying this??!! It's like saying pizza combines protein, carbs and fat. That's ridiculous.

A simple dish like macaroni and cheese, a peanut butter sandwich, or oatmeal with milk contains sugars, starches, protein and fat. Our digestive system handles food combinations very efficiently. The process begins in the mouth as we chew food and saliva acts upon it, beginning the breakdown of starches into sugars. Other enzymes come into play along the line, resulting in almost complete digestion and absorption of nutrients, no matter how they are combined.

Proofs? Of course they're not saying that those types of meals take long to digest and can occasionate stomach pains, gas and bloat. No wonder pharmaceutic companies make fortune by selling pills.

As for that supposedly fermenting fruit, anyone who has studied human physiology can tell you that fermentation does not occur in the stomach. Fruit is nutritious, raw or cooked,

cooked, really ? So he's saying that heat does not kill vitamins, and he hopes we'll condider what he's saying as reliable after making such comments ...

and is readily digested in combination with other foods, including vegetables, grains and dairy products.

Proofs?? He's just throwing stuff and want us to believe it.

Fruit is not a hard-and-fast category anyway: many things we call vegetables, such as tomatoes, are really fruits.

Society call things by other words, so what? does that mean that food combining rules is rubbish ? On the contrary, it shows that people don't know anything when they think that tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, etc are vegetables and that they should inform themselves before saying that we can mix any foods together.

Nearly all foods are themselves combinations

Read what I said before

The overwhelming weight of evidence is on the side of a varied, balanced diet with foods eaten in nutritious, appetizing combinations. Most vitamins and minerals are best utilized when consumed as part of a complex mixture of foods. For instance, foods high in vitamin C (such as fruits) boost the body's absorption of iron from grains. That's one reason fruit and whole grains make such a good breakfast combination.

He discredits himself again. With words like appetizing and breakfast, we see where he wanted to go since the beginning: to reassure those who want nice comforting meals and recipes like the ones they're used to. They don't wanna leave behind their lasagna, sausages with bacon, potatoes and eggs, or their ice cream with cake after spagetti and meat balls. It would mean the end of the world.

Variety aids digestion, rather than making it more difficult.

go tell that to people who have digestive problems and see them resolved when they eat mono meals. go tell that to people feeling good when they wake up, but when they come back from work, their belly is so bloated they feel like they're pregnant.

So, which argument is right?

Some people are telling us that food combining is bad, and others are telling us that it’s okay to combine. We must therefore exercise our freedom of choice until a definitive answer is proven.

Finally I agree with something he says.

Of course, if certain combinations of foods seem to disagree with you, then eat them separately. I’m still waiting for them to bring out licorice-sardine flavored ice cream.

http://the-vu.com/food_combining.htm

Edited by I'm Your Man

There's many people on this thread that don't believe in the combining rules! VeganPotter is one of the most fervent sceptic.

Well, it was hard to tell who was for or against the subject because it seemed to be a whole page talking about the smell of poo, so that's why I couldn't tell where the food combining opinions came in.... I tend to just skim posts that go on for entire page about the smell of poo.....

Thanks for such a thorough answer back to my post... I will read it in depth when my A.D.D. isn't in full force like it is now.

There's many people on this thread that don't believe in the combining rules! VeganPotter is one of the most fervent sceptic.

Well, it was hard to tell who was for or against the subject because it seemed to be a whole page talking about the smell of poo, so that's why I couldn't tell where the food combining opinions came in.... I tend to just skim posts that go on for entire page about the smell of poo.....

Thanks for such a thorough answer back to my post... I will read it in depth when my A.D.D. isn't in full force like it is now.

Sorry my post was long, and I forgot to write a conclusion that resume it all, for those who wouldn't have time to read it all; it's also evidence, proofs:

Eat an apple and your body can use it as energy right away, in less than 30 minutes it’s completely digested, it’s nutrients reach your cells and muscles and it boosts your metabolism.

But eat that same apple at the end of a meal like rice or anything else, and the apple is still there in your stomach two hours later, rotting at almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit, losing it’s vitamins, slowing down digestion and metabolism, slowing you down.

There’s a reason why so many people have problems digesting their meals, a reason so many people buy pills to help their digestion, a reason why colo-rectal cancer, stomach cancer, prostate cancer and so on are the most common cancers (after skin cancer) and the main cause of death, more than car accidents, murders, etc. See statistics on the

Canadian Cancer Society website.

The only persons that believe in combining rules (ChaserHun, me, flanders, andesuma) are the ones that put those rules into practice and see for themselves.

Most of us that don't agree with it have tried it.

I've done it out of curiousity and found it to do nothing for me. I didn't feel bad but no better. And no...my poo didn't smell better by any means. Maybe food combining is bad for the olfactory senses...I'm thinking food combiners don't have a good sense of smell.

Maybe food combining is bad for the olfactory senses...I'm thinking food combiners don't have a good sense of smell.

Or maybe those who believe in stink don't believe in food combining, and those who believe in perfume believe in food combining.

Anyway, all those posts about odour were funny but it's time to grow up and try to know the truth about food combining...

So let's search for good points and bad points (on health perspective)... only possibilities, nothing proven.

eating without food combining rules:

Good points:

-Perhaps an increased assimilation of some micronutrients to the body when a certain food is combined with another one. For instance, assimilation of iron would be higher when combined to vitaminC: citrus eaten with spinach.

bad points:

-(opposite from good point above) decreased quality of assimilation of the micronutrients to the body because of a bad quality of digestion causing food to rot instead of being digested and used right away.

- Some risks it may cause health problems in the future.

Other possibility: there's nothing bad, nothing good from it.

eating with food combining rules:

Good points:

-Perhaps an increased assimilation of some micronutrients to the body when a certain food contains a combination or precise vitamins and minerals. For instance, assimilation of iron would be higher when combined to vitaminC: spinach already contains both vitamin C and iron. Nature tought about everything. No need to eat citrus with spinach.

-Possibility to reduce the risks of certain health problems.

bad points:

-None.

Other possibility: there's nothing bad, nothing good from it.

Total score : (good points minus bad points)

without food combining rules: -1

with food combining rules: 2

decreased quality of assimilation of the micronutrients to the body because of a bad quality of digestion causing food to rot instead of being digested and used right away.

Show me some evidence.

Not just a link to some "know it all" guru.

decreased quality of assimilation of the micronutrients to the body because of a bad quality of digestion causing food to rot instead of being digested and used right away.

Show me some evidence.

Nope. I wrote : it's "only possibilities, nothing proven", for both sides, for and against.

But if you absolutly want evidence... you said yourself that fruits in your protein smoothies cause you pains in the stomach.

I'm waiting for the first Olympic Gold medal winning food combiner. We've had vegan Gold medalists...now we need a successful food combiner to give creedance to its effectiveness. If it happens it won't mean anything anyway...other than the fact that this person eats the same thing as everyone else...it just mixes in his/her stomach at a different time.

But if you absolutly want evidence... you said yourself that fruits in your protein smoothies cause you pains in the stomach.

No I said it gives me gas. Protein powder (and soymilk) gives me gas not the fact that I ate it with fruit. Either of those give me gas whether alone or with other food.

I'm waiting for the first Olympic Gold medal winning food combiner. We've had vegan Gold medalists...now we need a successful food combiner to give creedance to its effectiveness. If it happens it won't mean anything anyway...other than the fact that this person eats the same thing as everyone else...it just mixes in his/her stomach at a different time.

haha

No I said it gives me gas. Protein powder (and soymilk) gives me gas not the fact that I ate it with fruit. Either of those give me gas whether alone or with other food.

Ha...I get gas no matter what I eat. Even when I ate grapefruit alone for a whole week I farted like crazy. I'm thinking its because I ate a few of the seeds by accident. You aren't supposed to eat seeds with fruit right...even if its from the same fruit. I think it may have been the fact that I was combining air with my fruit. If I stopped breathing for a few hours before and after eating the grapefruit I may not have had the gas.

well I don't have really gas now that I'm using food combining, maybe 1-2 farts

and how do you explain that: when I ate soy with lot of bread I felt full 5-6 hours later, but if I ate soy with lot of greens I was getting hungry after 3-4 hours