Consequences of becoming a Vegan.

My doctor always seems to want to get me on some kind of pill.

My cholesterol has gone from 246 to 167 after becoming a Vegan an then to 191, and just recently 181, but this is no surprise knowing the big dollop of soy butter I enjoy in my hot morning cereal.

But probably the biggest surprise was:

PSA

prostate specific antigen

A test that is a not so accurate a test of whether a man over 50 could have prostate cancer. Before I was a Vegan, The test result was 5.0. The test range should be from 0.0 to 4.0.. A year after be on a vegan diet, I tested at 4.5. Another year later after being a Vegan for almost 2 years, the result was a score of 3.6..

So my doctor is going to have to figure out another angle to get me to support their pharmacy.

Sometimes I just love consequences.

Just thought I'd share.

Great story Joe, I love it. Yeah from what I've heard, a lot of doctors don't understand much / anything about nutrition. I was once at the gym with one of my dad's friends who is a doctor, and I was sat there in my VBB shirt looking much more muscular than he is* - and far less out of breath from the cardio we were doing together. Then he starts talking about veganism and his own diet, he says "I know you don't eat any of that, but I need the protein". I just smiled, and didn't say anything, but clearly I was getting ample protein to be bigger than him, his comment was silly on its own.

*Not that I'm particularly muscular, he just isn't very muscular

Great story Joe, I love it. Yeah from what I've heard, a lot of doctors don't understand much / anything about nutrition. I was once at the gym with one of my dad's friends who is a doctor, and I was sat there in my VBB shirt looking much more muscular than he is* - and far less out of breath from the cardio we were doing together. Then he starts talking about veganism and his own diet, he says "I know you don't eat any of that, but I need the protein". I just smiled, and didn't say anything, but clearly I was getting ample protein to be bigger than him, his comment was silly on its own.

*Not that I'm particularly muscular, he just isn't very muscular

damn! Lol... I don't know what to comment on such behaviors, it's just too pathetic. It's like doctors and nutritionnists are part of a conspirary and the dumber of them are not even aware of it.

This is great news, Joe!

I have to agree, the medical aspects of nutrition are still in their infancy in the west, sadly. Most western doctors still only learn the "diagnose problem, prescribe pill" routine.

Two big problems are the pharma industry and also the the food industry : both would suffer severe losses if people ate more healthy.

Vegan Joe;

Awesome about your medical stats. FWIW, Dr. Ornish & McDougal claim that if you can keep your total cholesterol below 160 mg/dl you can reverse any plaque built up in your arteries.

I just got my first cholesterol test in years. 81 mg/dl with each part of that being in the excellent range ( I was fasting when I gave the blood so Im sure the real rate is higher ).

I also had NASH for years, which is now gone thanks to taking off 48 pounds last year.

I finally gave up prozac cus a vegan diet has just made me feel better.

I still get moody though, especially when idiots make fun of my diet or smoke around me.

Around my period I cry for no apparent reason..

But other than that I'm alright I guess.

Around my period I cry for no apparent reason..

Unfortunately, PMS do not seem change trough veganism.

I had some improvements with pyrosis, when i was a omnivore and a ovo-lacto-vegetarien i often had pyrosis. This almost stopped when i began to eat vegan.

the thing is is that not many doctors really even know about nutrition seeing as the majority of medical schools don't require a seperate nutrition course in order to become a doctor.

Sadly this could not be more true. As someone who starts pharmacy school in august, I know the knowledge that doctors have on nutrition is extremely limited. The united states puts a huge emphasis on dealing with health problems and not maintaining proper health.

I will spend the next four years learning about pharmacy laws, receptor sites and their molecular interactions, disease symptoms/diagnosis/treatment, and probably a little bit about the horrendous animal testing that led to pharmaceutical breakthroughs. Anything I learn about maintaining or achieving greater health I will have to learn on my own.

I can't really blame the medical community though, the standard american diet is so terrible they don't have time to deal with encouraging better nutrition programs. All they have time to do is fix diseases directly related to animal fats.

To be completely honest with you medical school shouldn't need to go that far into nutrition. You ask why??? Because you shouldn't get into med school if you don't know anything about nutrition.