When do you train? - Why?

When do you train, and why?

I've been an evening trainer for years. I've done most of my workouts between 5-8PM, usually starting around 7PM, finishing an hour or two later.

Now....I'm really working on trying to train in the morning so I have my evenings free for work and social time and so I don't stay up so late. Often, I leave the gym at 9 or 10PM and then eat and work and I'm up super late.

Lately I've been getting morning workouts in and it is pretty awesome but the problem is I stay up late at night so I need to alter my sleep schedule if I am to keep this up.

Anyway, just curious as to when you train and why? Based around your work schedule, school schedule, when you feel your strongest, etc.?

Thanks!

I train in the afternoon. I'll have breakfast, coffee, check my forums, have a shower, etc. Then I'll work out. I feel more energized during the day if I do my workout early in the day. I go to the gym in the evenings with my boyfriend though, since that's when he gets off work. I do my home workouts early though

I generally train in the day(for daylight riding obviously) but I love training at night...my schedule doesn't let me do that though. As for before...I would often lift at 6am, go to track practice at 2:15pm...then lift again at 6pm.

well, this is something that I have been facing lately. I am sure there are more busy people than myself, but if I want to continue to stay married I have to structure everything as a way of life not just a temporary thing.

I try to get up at 5 am and work out or run, this does leave my evening free to cook dinner, take care of kids and await the super nurse to get home from 10-12 hour shifts.

However I feel more strong in the evening or afternoon. So, for running or cardio it seems ok. I am trying to loose some weight so the morning workout is ok for me now since I am doing high rep,light weight workouts for now.

I think some days, when my wife is off I will sleep in and do some heavy workouts in the afternoons occaisionally. It is a nice feeling to know that my daily workout is finished after I get off of work though!

These days I'm not really busy (I work only about 3 hours per day) so I choose the time I train according to this:

-whenever I feel I got some energy I could use-- no matter what time it is-- I grab a dumbell or do some chin ups and then it's started until I don't have anymore energy...time to eat.

Or according to these things:

-I've read (espescially for endurance athletes) the best time of day (for someone who wake up at 7) is between 11 a.m- 1p.m. Earlier, you're still not fully awaken, later you begin to be tired as day goes by.

-But for strenght athletes, I've read it may be a good idea to lift on evening (between 5 - 9p.m) because there's a testosterone peak at this time of day. And also the peak muscle synthesis (lots of grownt hormones) is during a 4-6 hours post-workout window, which, if you train during evening, happens to be in the middle of night during deep sleep, which is perfect because it is when the body builds more muscles also.

I like training at this time but I prefer not too late, otherwise an intense effort makes it difficult to fall asleep. And usually evening is to relax, watch a movie, things like that. Like Robert said, training late is not really good for a schedule, you usually want to eat a huge meal, and relax, preparing to sleep, all this takes time and you go to sleep too late...

-But for strenght athletes, I've read it may be a good idea to lift on evening (between 5 - 9p.m) because there's a testosterone peak at this time of day. And also the peak muscle synthesis (lots of grownt hormones) is during a 4-6 hours post-workout window, which, if you train during evening, happens to be in the middle of night during deep sleep, which is perfect because it is when the body builds more muscles also.

Very interesting. I have read countless articles expressing the exact opposite. They always stated that your testosterone levels are elevated and at their highest in the early morning and that is when you should lift. I have no clue which is right. I hope it's your because I cannot lift in the early morning; it just doesn't feel right.

On the contrary, cardio feels great right out of bed but lifting does not so I lift later on in the day. I just cannot hurl hundreds of lbs of iron with crust still in my eyes. It works out better that way also because if I even need a spot, there tends to be more people around in the afternoon or the evening.

Most of what I do now is walking on the inclined treadmill.

I get in 30-60 minutes before work.

To do that I have to go to bed earlier, that isn't always easy to do.

I try to get to bet between 10 and 11 PM

I also try to get in another hour of treadmilling in the evening.

When I lift, it is after work between 5 and 6 PM, just for convenience.

When I was training purely for strength, I only trained in the evening after work. I always heard that it can be hard on your lower back (and your body in general) to lift heavy in the morning.

I'm more into endurance these days, so I don't lift heavy. Now, I do all of my training in the morning before work (or in the early afternoon on my days off). It feels great to start the day with that energy boost. I seem to sleep better at night as well.

Well I will separate stretching exercises and weight lifting, so when I come home from school(about 3PM) I stretch out, and after an hour or half an hour I lift weights, I would more like to stretch out in the morning but I can't really do it, but I like to lift weights more at night, I'm more active in that time

I don't feel "awake" for at least 3-4 hours from the time I get up, so I never work out early. I feel my best about 9-10 PM so that's when I typically lift, but if I go for walks, I usually do it earlier simply because it's nicer while the sun is out.

When I lift early in the day, I never feel "ready", so regardless if there is any added testosterone benefit to lifting early, it's completely undone by the way my body feels. If you don't feel good lifting early, don't do it, and vice-versa with lifting late. Do what your body says is best, and things always have a way of working out right

I produce a radio show every week, so my schedule is pretty open. I can move my work around, but I just have to worry about having the finished product by the end of the week.

Though I have this freedom with my schedule, I've kept my workouts in the morning for as long as I could remember. Sometimes I can be a pain to get to the gym by 7:30, but on the first lift of anything, I perk right up--even if I haven't gotten a good night's sleep.

I think I may feel a bit more alert, and maybe stronger, in the evenings; however, after having several meals, I don't really feel like lifting heavy.

I feel lighter in the morning, so I think that's when I should do it. Maybe this isn't a great explanation, but I tried. :-P

Mornings is working well for me. I get up at 5:30 or 6:00 and work out before work starts at 9:00. I have to get to bed early though, so 10:00 is lights out. Its nice coming home in the evening and not having to worry about doing anything, its also nice to have the gym almost to myself in the early morning. There are maybe 2 or maximum 3 other people around. I hate a busy gym, I like wearing old T shirts and tracksuit pants to gym, I am not one of the snazzy dressers, there's no point cos I go red in the face and my hair frizzes up anyway, so there's no chance of looking good, but in a crowded gym I feel self conscious. And even if I am tired, within minutes of arriving, I am completely energised, whereas by the time evening comes I am really tired and if I hadn't worked out by then I would probably find some excuse to blow it off. So it has to be mornings.....

I workout in the early evenings (6:30 ish), currently Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I'd like to add yoga on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I do cardio almost every morning, alternating between swimming, cycling and walking (aiming to transition to running when my knee is stronger).

I do it this way because I read that cardio for weight loss (which was my initial goal) is best done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Doing cardio before work and strength after work also frames my day nicely I think.

I like it