What do you think about college?

dontxhide

Questions about college...  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you want to work at a really scientific training center like the Olympic Training Center...you either need to make a name for yourself slowly(that may mean you'll be in your late 30s) or you've gotta get a killer exercise science/biomechanics degree from a major university.

Veganessensials is right about every other scenario....there are lots of great trainers who only have minimal certifications...there are lots of people who train people without any at all and are great trainers....they just can't do it at a health club for liability issues.

I didn't mean to take over the discussion, but I guess this could be suitable for other careers as well, not just pt. A lot of the time you learn just by living life. Traveling is also a good way to enhance your education, you will learn about the world this way, different cultures, ways of life etc.

I have no interest at all for college, that's why I've been ignoring this thread for weeks and weeks everytime I saw the subject title. I never liked to stay in school all day while it was nice outside or while I could do something else. I learned less than 5% of the things I know at school, and more than 95% in books, movies, life, from people, etc. I was in cinema classes and no other students knew about some movie classics of all time, they wanted to learn cinema with school, while it is obvious that the best way to learn cinema is by watching movies and making some.

I think that in America (and I'd like to point to the fact that Canadians are Americans too, Mexicans, Brazilians, Peruvians, Haïtians, Argentinians, etc are all Americans, but Americans of the USA are just Americans with no names) and in the whole world it's easier to find a good job with a diploma, but it's not a necessity. And it's just a piece of paper, you can write you have all the diplomas on your résumé and you can do and achieve mostly everything you want in life, with or without a diploma (see Spielberg's movie Catch me if you can). A diploma is only like a passport, it can help you to go somewhere, but it's just a piece of paper. Even if our sociecy favours diplomees and overestimate the value of this piece of paper, all you need is resourcefulness, perseverance, self-esteem, and to fix a goal. Most of people who became famous or accumulated a big fortune and success didn't waste their time staying at school too long. Life itself is the best school you can get.

I talked to a friend last night about this and got things straightened away. I cant remember the person in the beginning of this topic who said this, but my friend basically said the same thing.

"Your a writer. Its something that you want to do for the rest of your life, hopefully getting you to where you can do your own little art / farm commune. Going into English will let you learn your passion, and help you become a better writer. Plus, you finally know what you want to do, you wont flouner around like most of the people in college now-a-days."

My arguments are that I can learn and become a better writer by books and workshops, and spend tons less.

But I figured. I have been going to school for 7 years on and off. I have over 60 credit hours, and am averaging a 3.4 gpa. Knowing me, in the long run, I will have more regrets not finishing college since I am so close to finishing, than going to college for another year or two.

I still havent made a 100 percent decision. But I believe Im going to go, if only to learn the tools of the trade I need to learn, and then once I am out do whatever I would like, whether thats working for someone or for myself.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that success can be looked at from many different perspectives, and that ongoing or additional studying can lead to so much more potential success than simply choosing to go down the route of standard school -> straight to college -> 4 years on finish a degree -> stay with one job resolutely for life.

Many people self-limit themselves by deciding not to put their energy into any more studying after having achieved a qualification (for example, a degree or diploma etc), but to me it seems like many people are mindfully setting themselves up for a huge lack of job options later in life when they choose to pick just one career and not branch out further.

I also think that a lot of people like the thought of putting a degree etc to good use, becoming a star in their chosen subject etc..... but don;t want to do it enough to actually approach the idea in a construvctive manner, ie making up a business plan (or at least a decent set of business outcomes and strategies)... or anything involving learning about the mechanisms of running their own business in an ongoingly profitable level... perhaps they feel that clients will fall into their lap indefinitely, or just haven't even thought that far about why they may not be successful.

But as it stands, I would say that at least a diploma-level module in business and marketting (or similar) would be a good move for anyone who is intending to be self-employed, especially for those without a handy safety net (ie benefits to fall back on, or wealthy and supportive parents)

To go back full-circle, success comes in many forms.....

I talked to a guy called Sayed, who is studying for his 5th degree right now at the local college.

They're all intelligent and highly skilled qualifications - ranging from psychology to sustainable environmental development.

Sayed is 29, and works full-time as a shop assistant at the local Somerfield, which is how i got talking to him in the first place.

He says that he enjoys his life as it's so simple that he feels he really has nothing much to complain about..... we were speaking about things and stuff, and his attitude is that his working life isn't physically debilitating or anything and he gets to speak to people as he does it, then he goes and studies from 5-10 pm and eats, sleeps, repeat..... then on weekends he also volunteers for a local charity group.

He's the sort of person who has made a lot of effort to open up so many options for himself..... the last time i looked, he was planning to tour america giving talks about sustainable microeconomies for underpriveliged communities, and he's just won the British Student of the Year award for this year.

As for me well, for the last few months I've been studying for 5 diplomas and am making great progress.

I'm on the final exam for 3 of them (Philosophy, NLP and Nutrition) , and am getting on well with 2 more (Herbalism with a Business & Marketting diploma coming up behind)

I have also recently taken up being a fantasy artist, and am surprised at how well I'm getting on.

I've had chronic ME for over a decade so I can;t study properly at the college but i'm in the process of signing up for modules of the advanced ECDL , and also courses in using Publisher & Photoshop.

To open the options even more, I'm also a polyglot in training.

I reckon that if i ever do shake off the bad fortune and get better, I will not have boxed myself in through lack of foresight or simple lack of interest in expanding the options.

... and if i don't, then with things like a diploma in NLP, herbalism and nutrition.... well those could perhaps even be done over the phone or via the internet, you know ?

So my physical limitations might not be such a big thing then.

SO.... will i be able to succeed without a degree though ?

hmmmm.... I really don;t know.

I found a degree in illustration which can be done from home with just attended exams at the end, though....

So, it would come in lots of individual modules which contribute points towards an eventual degree.....

But my problem there, is that before gettng started on a generalised arts course like that, I'd be curious to know whether there's a similar thing but more tailored for fantasy artists ?

I'm really not too hot on drawing a hundred pictures of a daffodil in a jar, or learning about pointillism.... but things which help me produce the intended result (ie my own fantasy art - shaded and coloured, and fully rotatable to my whimsical preference) , I can really go for.

In the meantime, I bought half a ton of really good, varied, inspiring art-books , and books for studying fantasy art, ranging from newbie level up to advanced digital art in gorgeous painting styles.

I'm on the final exam for 3 of them (Philosophy, NLP and Nutrition) , and am getting on well with 2 more (Herbalism with a Business & Marketting diploma coming up behind)

I would really like to learn NLP someday myself...spare life somewhere. Time to put some long range plans on paper somewhere.

I've had chronic ME for over a decade so I can;t study properly at the college but i'm in the process of signing up for modules of the advanced ECDL

What is ME? What is ECDL?

To open the options even more, I'm also a polyglot in training.

Interesting post!

Well my view on this is, Get your Degree. It is something no one can take away from you ever. I have a BS in Criminal Justice with a Minor in Bus Admin plus extra classes in computer science. Now I am going to a community college to train for my Personal Fitness Trainer certification.

This is the bottom line about College. Depends on what you are majoring in. If you have a MBA you won't have to spend years climbing the ladder, you start automatically a lot higher on the ladder than someone that starts a clerk for example. If you are going into techincal, industrial, or other trade fields sometimes you can test out and not have to go to college, so really it depends.

If a person can only go part time it does take a while. I had to go part time here and there, but I wouldn't trade my education for anything.

What is ME?

ME is an unpleasant and debilitating immune disorder with a huge catalogue of varied and enthusiastic symptoms.

I found a pretty good New Zealand-flavoured website about it, please check it out -

"What is M.E ?"

http://www.anzmes.org.nz/what_is_me.htm

What is ECDL?

ECDL is short for the (bizarrely titled IMHO) 'European Computer Driving Licence' (which seems to be exactly the same as the international version)

Here's the fancy official website -

http://www.ecdltutors.com/ecdl/syllabus.htm

It has a lot of recognition and support, and basically it just shows people that you know you way around Microsoft Office a bit.

So, the Advanced version can be done afterwards and is basically just that ; advanced

Interesting post!

(^-^) thankyou !

I would really like to learn NLP someday myself...spare life somewhere. Time to put some long range plans on paper somewhere.

it's interesting, for sure !

I like the idea of a job involving helping people to feel motivated and be purposeful in accomplishing things, rather than feeling inefficient and aimless and indistinct in discovering and achieving the things they really would like to.

I think that a lot of people go through a lot (or all) of life like that, and it seems like so many people miss out on so much as a result of it... or work so hard , time and time again, to achieve futile or self-defeating goals... or ones which nullify previous achievements thus negating their own beneficial effect... or goals which are just entirely in the wrong direction in the general scheme of things.... as an NLP therapist, I would by definition be seeing the ones who have taken the first step towards improving their lives and approach towards their own lifestyle choices, their mental approach, etc.... by coming in for therapy. It all seems as if it might be quite a pleasant sort of job from a job-satisfaction point of view .

Neuro Linguistic Programming, it is a derivative of the Eriksonian style of hypnosis.

Oh, not quite although i can see how you could have thought that.

One of the principles of NLP is the imitation of characteristics in those we admire (for at least one aspect of themself - for example confidence, optimism or assertivity) through what's called "modelling" of their character... the replication of certain positive traits in order to take them on oneself beneficially.

And from there, 3 original people were 'modelled' for the original NLP process.... one of them being Mr. Erickson I had a nosey at Wikipedia, and was happy to see it has quite a fine entry for NLP, check it out y'all -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

quote]I wouldn't trade my education for anything.

(^-^) Damn straight, me neither !

quote]I wouldn't trade my education for anything.

(^-^) Damn straight, me neither !

I would trade all those years locked up in the school building while it was nice outside, I would trade for anything, like a trip around the world, I would have learned much more about life.

I would trade mine for all the loans...no questions asked. I learned a lot but now that I'm not in school I'm just as happy and I'm not really using my degree. That being said...I loved school...learned a lot and am better for it but I wouldn't say $90,000 better. I'd rather have a ceramics studio thats $90,000 better.

• 14 years later...

As for me, you in no case should not drop out of college, because in it you can get the basic knowledge that will help you not only in your future profession, but also just expand your horizons. And to make studying in college easier, you can try to use this website https://studymind.co.uk/resource/gcse-physics-aqa-past-papers/ where you can hire an experienced tutor to help you study the subjects that are difficult for you.