Greetings from Connecticut!

thatistheplan

I've been on this website quite a few times to get information on different topics, but I've never checked out the forums.

When I first came upon this place, it was pretty amazing. Veganism and weight lifting had always come from two separate worlds for me.

My father was a powerlifter in the 80s, and he came within several pounds of the world squat record at the time. He was tilting the scales at around 400 pounds, and was benching 640.

He was on a 10,000-calorie diet at the time, and trained a handful of guys on the same regiment he was on. They all saw great results and traveled to powerlifting meets across the country. Unfortunately, this habit of overeating it something that's been hard to break for him, I suppose.

In fact, overeating is something that's run ramped throughout his side of the family. Growing up with this influence, I also overate. At age 16, I was 5'10'' and 300 pounds with a 48'' waist band. I start watching what I was eating and walking every day. In a little over a year, I went all the way down to 174.

When I hit this weight, I decided to start lifting weights. My father helped me greatly, but I assumed his way was the only way to do it because of his success. I was interested in vegetarianism at the time, but my upbringing led me to think I couldn't do it and be healthy.

I eventually came into vegetarianism through a girlfriend of mine. She was the only vegetarian I had in my life who talked about it, and wasn't a preachy ideologist about it. Plus, it was interesting to see the diet in action and see that my father's negative ideas about the diet were unfounded.

I was a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years before I just made a gradual shift into veganism. I'm not sure what caused it. Dairy products were making me uneasier, and this is probably because my Mother grew into lactose intolerance. Plus, eggs ceased to interest me.

So, I've been vegan for 8 months now, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Right now, I weigh 211 pounds, 6'2'' tall, and I have a 34'' waist. I'm very happy to be in shape, and I don't plan on losing it. I used to be in that situation, and it's behind me and in the dust.

I take my weight lifting seriously--maybe not as serious as many of you here--but I'd like to start lifting heavier. Right now I'm benching 225 for several reps, and would like to get more into leg workouts. I have such large legs left over from being heavy, and I've been hesitant in doing leg presses and the like. Honestly, I do need to start taking in more protein also. It's an adventure, and I'm going to get to where I want to be one way or another, I feel.

I'm also a radio host on an independent music show broadcast out of a NPR affiliate out of Hartford, CT, and I play several instruments. I'm most proficient at the bass, which I've been playing for about 8 years:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0fjXjPbxsu0

Thanks for reading :-P!

Welcome aboard You're bodyweight chronology is very similar to mine...mentally I'm still an overeater how about you??? It never gets easier for me.

Welcome aboard You're bodyweight chronology is very similar to mine...mentally I'm still an overeater how about you??? It never gets easier for me.

Hah! Remember, I said that overeating put me in that mess, BUT that doesn't mean I don't love to eat! :-P

If I'm ever at a falafel place, I can put away three once in a while without blinking. I also drink a ton of water. I just eat a lot, really. However, lifting weights and being vegan really helps me with my weight. Everything gets burned of, pretty much. Usually, the more I consume, the more energy I have to lift heavier. So, I can't say eating has been a problem for me.

If there's one habit I'll probably never break, it's that I eat very fast. Believe me, I chew my food, but it sometimes amazes me how quickly I get finished with a meal.

This is some story and background, almost seems surreal like a story about hercules or something nevertheless your progress shots pic all that heresay where it belongs immediately. Your shots match your background description to the tee.

Do you still train with your father? Does it upset him that you eat a plant based diet? It's cool that you had a vegetarian girlfriend; were you transitioning before you met her or was she the influence? Still with her?

I'm psyched about having you here. I understand why you do not have an avatar because after all, how would you be able to fit your lats into the width of the pic? You wouldn't!

Welcome

This is some story and background, almost seems surreal like a story about hercules or something nevertheless your progress shots pic all that heresay where it belongs immediately. Your shots match your background description to the tee.

Do you still train with your father? Does it upset him that you eat a plant based diet? It's cool that you had a vegetarian girlfriend; were you transitioning before you met her or was she the influence? Still with her?

I'm psyched about having you here. I understand why you do not have an avatar because after all, how would you be able to fit your lats into the width of the pic? You wouldn't!

Welcome

I was interested in not eating meat before her, but I attribute my change to her since she served as a good blueprint to how the diet works. Alas, I am not with her anymore, but that's a good thing so don't worry.

I used to train with my dad for my first year or so of lifting weights. Unfortunately, he stopped going with me. See, he was a phenomenal lifter and trainer, but his anti-social and negative attitude is really what kept him from making it huge. Whenever we'd go to any gym, people he hadn't seen in years would come up, say hi, ask him for advice, ask how he's doing, and be really happy to see him.

I think it was a little too much for him to see the life he had left behind, and he was never in a good mood when we were done at the gym. He's even told me that it was upsetting to him that he's never been able to make money at the one thing he knew he could do well.

However, I know it's because he's got a bit of a temper, he catered exclusively to steroid-using powerlifters when he has owned gyms in the past, and refused to train in any other format. However, that's not something I'd tell him.

Is my avatar not showing up? It should be. I thought I followed the directions correctly. I mean, I can see it, at least.

haha no i actually wrote that before your avatar was posted. It's a good one. Can't help but wonder what the einstein award is all about

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!! That's Mark Twain! :-P

But he IS kind of far away, so I understand. There are plenty of white men with scruffy hair and mustaches on awards nowadays.

It's from the radio station I work at.

Great avatar . I would love to hear your radio show. Is it on the Internet? Nice chops on the bass, man! My band is badly in need of a bassist,and you're better than anyone I've heard around here. Any chance you're considering moving to Prescott, Arizona ?

Mike