Visiting Vancouver in early May - want to hang out?

loveliberate

Hello to all forum folks in Vancouver & the lower mainland!

Lotus, the kids & I will be visiting the Vancouver area for a 4 nights early next month & would love to hang out with forum folks. We'd appreciate tips on things to do & see - free & cheap options are ideal. As of now, we have not found a place to stay so if anyone could offer us a place to lay our sleeping bags - that would be awesome!

We hope to see you soon.

I live in Abbotsford, which is about 40 minutes away. Actually, you probably don't wanna waste your time in this dump..

In Vancouver there are lots of vegan shops and restaurants. Commercial Drive is full of them. Here's a link to the Vancouver Vegetarian Association

http://www.vancouverveg.com/index.php

Van also has a great music scene, especially if you're into rock n roll.

And don't forget the out-of-doors... there is still snow in the mtns, but there is tons of good hiking to be done, or biking - what kinds of activities are you looking for?

Are you planning to go over to Victoria? That's worth the ferry ride for sure - it's got awesome vegan stores/restaurants etc (and some awesome vegans too) scattered around the downtown core, so it's all walkable. Definitely worth a full day there, if not more.

As for Vancouver itself, the restaurants are mostly on Main St or Commercial Drive like Marcina said. There is a raw food p/u window downtown called Gorilla Food run by a super cool guy named Aaron Ash. His new sit down cafe right next door may be open now too, I'll have to look into it. There's also an amazing food court stall at City Square Mall on Cambie St across from city hall called 'Everybody Loves Veggies' - it's all vegan, including desserts - they have Chi Cake!

Other than that, there are some fois gras protests at restaurants in the Kits neighbourhood, there are beaches if the weather's not horrible, Stanley Park, Lighthouse Park is a beautiful if mild hike thru some typical local ecosystems. The Grouse Grind may be open. Lynn Canyon is always cool - Robert, Liz and I took my dog there last year so he could tell you about it. I'm not sure what kinds of arts type events are happening - the Vancouver Art Gallery always has something going on... Granville Island is also a really nice way to spend half a day or a little more.

Anyway, got your PM - I'll get back to you soon with more.

Hi Marcina!

I'd like to at least visit Abbotsford sometime - I dont know if it will be on this trip or not. Thanks for the tips on Vancouver - we always enjoy visiting Commercial Dr.

Trev!

I'm sure that we'll at least get out for some walks/hikes close to the city: Stanley, Lighthouse & Lynn Canyon Parks + Wreck Beach are all on our radar. We tend to keep hikes fairly mild though I enjoy going on more challenging hikes sometimes as well. We visited the Granville Kids market last time we were up - hopefully we'll make it to the main market this time.

We'd love to visit Victoria & hope to do so later in the summer for at least a couple of days. Gorilla Food sounds good - though I think I've heard that it's a tad pricey? 'Everybody Loves Veggies' sounds interesting to! Thanks for the EarthSave links.

Oh Tasha, You darn Canadians are so mean and xenophobic!

Well, actually I don't advise getting sick out here lol. All the clinics and emergency rooms are packed. Because the medical system is practically free, people go to the hospital/clinic for stupid reasons.

I'll only go if I'm bleeding to death.

That would suck being sick on a trip ! I don't think he's planning on it.

Hey loveliberate If you plan on staying the night in Victoria. You and Lotus can have my room. And the kids can have a slumber party with me in the living room I won't load them up on candy don't you worry !

• 2 weeks later...

Bon voyage back to PDX Loveliberate, Lotus and kids! It was a nice, if again brief visit this morning on commercial dr. Look forward to another meet-up soon, hopefully a little longer!

Cheers,

Trev