Raw versus Cooked: Which is More Natural?

@medman: I just wanted to say that even when humans adapted to a "food" like milk and were able to digest itand survive on it does not make this food healthy. Coming back to the title of the discussion: a natural food (one that we adapted to) is not necessarily healthy.

The parallels to anti-raw arguments is obvious (at least) to me.

I am with you concerning the menopause-hypothesis...

@Dr.Pink: Being able to store foods was certainly a big step. But before fire there were foods that could be stored, too, like nuts and dried fruit etc.

Humans survived in non-tropical climates areas and during the ice-ages (were storing is needed because calories in the form of fresh fruit and vegetables were not as easy to get) because they were able to adapt and survive on almost anything. The question is if that makes almost anything a food natural to eat...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truthfully we dont know what caused our jump in intelligence, so everything we are all writing is educated or uneducated guess work.

The interesting thing is - we regard things like the arts, music & literature as our highest achievments through our intelligence, & people use these as examples of our superiority over the animal kingdom,

And yet, these skills also have very little to do with survival.Red Hot Chilli Peppers, ballet & the Mona Lisa are of no use when you are in the middle of an ice age (although we could eat the Chillis & use the Mona Lisa for firewood)

That fascinates me.Sure these things help strengthen social identity which in turn can help us survive, but the link is only partially useful in understanding why we ever bothered to develop these skills.From a strictly darwinistic, survival of the fittest viewpoint I would have preffered denser muscle strength, thicker bones & heightened eyesight, smell & hearing, than the abiltiy to make a pretty song or paint something which looks nice.For me this proves that not everything about our species can be explained in purely darwinistic ways.

The view that is beginning to prevail more all the time about the evolution of our brains is that the discovery of fire allowed us to cook many tubers we couldn't before and that many other animals couldn't benefit from either. This allowed us a vast source of available calories and also allowed us to develop a larger brain and migrate to other climates, since roots grow pretty much anywhere.

Tubers provided a good source of energy that early humans could use in times of emergency or simply as an excess in their diet.And indeed cooking made the tubers edible.It should be said though that tubers never made up the bulk of what we suvived on, just an element of it.

The true hero of our diet is the agriculture of domesticated grasses like wheat.

Flanders!!!!!

SHUD UP 'N' TRAIN!!!!!!

Richard

Thank you for reminding me, Bigboy!

You know I'm keeping tabs on ya!!!!....you can play when the jobs done!!!!

Richard

Are you talking about "tendon" issues from working on rings, pull ups, etc....if so, eat humble pie and change exercises or put your current goal on the back burner for a while and rest up!...then come back doing less work and at a much slower pace!

I'm thinking of a way to get my forum going again...so look out!

Be good man!

Richard

Offtopic again and sorry for highjacking this discussion!

Are you talking about "tendon" issues from working on rings, pull ups, etc....if so, eat humble pie and change exercises or put your current goal on the back burner for a while and rest up!...then come back doing less work and at a much slower pace!

I'm thinking of a way to get my forum going again...so look out!

Be good man!

Richard

Actually I really do not know were the pain comes from. I do not think it comes from the ring training though. Possibly it originates from the upper spine (where somes nerves are blocked as my osteopath told me) or from the fact I broke both arms two times as a youngster. Maybe it is a combination of both factors.

I already tried resting and right now I do light exercises and exercise rotation a lot. It works quite well but some pain is still there

It would be great to see your forum online again! I look forward to it!

flanders wrote:

I really have some issues with my elbows

I get sore elbows from my arm workouts, especially the bicep ones.The only thing that helped me was training less & taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin tablet.I dont know that either of these helped for sure, but I dont have sore elbows any more.

• 3 months later...

No one is anti-raw on this forum. We ALL eat raw foods! However, some of us feel defensive when we are told that our cooked foods and grains are poison/toxic/etc. In the past, this defensiveness has led to some of us going on the offensive. I hope we are past that point as a group.

Wish I'd known that before I chose my sn.

But I dunno, every body is different, so I think everyone just has to do the experiment and find out what makes them feel good. I respect all vegans and vegetarians for making a conscious choice to alleviate the suffering of animals and improve their health and the planet. Beyond that, just do what works for you.

Also, I'll probably take this study to heart as much as I take all the studies out there concluding that vegan and vegetarian diets are unnatural...