Bicycling without a helmet.

Thats a nice long tour...especially in the heat...good luck with that and feel free to ask anything. Other than a question about not wearing a helmet of course

wow 108 miles is pretty long, I don't think I ever done that but I wanna do some similar rides this summer.

Today I bought a Bell, model Furio, first time I'll wear an helmet since more than 10 years. Perhaps I wouldn't have bought it without this thread.

Yeah that great, Im your man. I need a more modern style helmet. I think I look like a dork in the one I have lol

Cool that you are going to do some Tours this summer. It will be toward the end of November when the big Tour is here, but still pretty warm. I figure I will start training in September.

Edited by BethL

Thanks Potter, I will probably be crippled by the time it is over, but we have all day. There is shorter routes, so if things start looking iffy I may drop down. It sure would be cool to complete it though. I have a friend from Nebraska that will be flying in to ride with me. She is quite the endurance lady, so got to keep up lol

I think if I shed some bodyfat it will help but also have to make sure my energy level is up too. So need to get the fat off now before the training starts.

If its not too hilly you'll be fine...just enjoy it....thats what those rides are all about anyway. If it is hilly its all about gearing. Generally people fail at finishing long rides due to riding to hard too early...or being under geared.

Part of the reason why the road is seen as unsafe is that cars in the states don't see people riding on the road all the time.

So what other countries have you biked in?

If everyone on a bike was on the street...cars would always look out for us. People riding on the sidewalk put all of us at risk. The higher the bike traffic on the road...the safer we all are.

People riding on the sidewalk put all of us at risk.

Not if you have good brakes and slow down to near walking speed when you are around pedestrians and avoid narrow sidewalks. I can see how impatience can happen. It's a matter of respect for pedestrians.

There's times when double and triple file obese people choke the whole sidewalk, and that kind of pisses me off, but even these people deserve respect for their efforts of walking instead of just sitting.

So slow down for them too.

It is far more easier to slow a bike than a car enough to avoid injury.

If you are training for racing or endurance results, I really wish you go out of your way to find a bike friendly place with real nice bike paths to train with little risk, plenty time and space to avoid crashes

rather than end up like him

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070623/cyclist_rollerblader_070623/20070623?hub=TopStories

or her

http://rgweb.registerguard.com/news/2006/06/02/a1.higdon.0602.p1.php

or her

Tracey Sparling

http://www.katu.com/news/local/10523982.html

The 19 year old whom I'm almost certain would have lived if she practiced some of my outlaw sidwalk riding techniques.

I try to drive my car as little as possible, but when I do, I drive on the sidewalk because there is less chance of an accident.

wow 108 miles is pretty long, I don't think I ever done that but I wanna do some similar rides this summer.

Today I bought a Bell, model Furio, first time I'll wear an helmet since more than 10 years. Perhaps I wouldn't have bought it without this thread.

Awesome Tashie's really happy !!!

I like that Josh...he doesn't have any common sense when it comes to bike safety.

Conantheunsafebikeridingvegetarian....I've been all over SE Asia, and much of Asia...I've also spent a lot of time in Canada, and a little bit of time in the Caribbean

I ride bikes a lot and let me tell you...slowing down from 30mph on a bike takes a long time...slowing down from 30mph in a car is nothing. Saying a bike stops faster just shows how little you know about riding your bike. Does your bike have training wheels on it??? If it does you can stay on the sidewalk.

Good Advise, it is not like Spin class

Awh No it's not But it'll build your strength.

Just make sure you draft from others. Hammer it up hills and enjoy the decent

Also stay away from sketchy riders. I like riding beside the traffic, rather then riding on the shoulder.

Oh wear a helmet. You'll look and feel pro !

How fun I want to go with you

• 2 weeks later...

A sidewalk labeled for cyclists is different...its a bike path. Go to Manhattan....you can drive on those sidewalks...they're so wide. But you CANNOT ride a bike on them. They aren't designated for that.

As for you thinking a helmet won't save you your nuts. I can't find it but there's a guy online with a blog who was run over by a car. His head was actually driven on top of. He didn't even have a concussion...and no his neck didn't break. I know a lot of guys that have been hit by cars...none have had neck injuries. Not to say that doesn't happen but most bike deaths are due to impact and not a broken neck. Being from Eugene I'd think you'd know what with all the bikers around. Try talking to someone on the road one of these days.

As for you thinking its just your head you're wrong. If you get hit...YOU increase healthcare costs for everyone. If YOU wind up on a life support system YOU are taking hundreds of thousands of dollars a year away from helping others. People that don't wear helmets are selfish...at least think about your family if you don't give a shit about other people you don't know.

My life, My risk, My funeral

To each his own.

No offense intended but that's the BS smoker's defence.

When someone incurs serious debilitating brain injuries for not wearing a helmet the whole community pays for it. The risk is not just your own. Helmets save lives. Helmets minimise the risk of brain injury.

To each of their own okay.

We are just giving out advice to be safe. We have open up a few ppl's eyes about wearing a helmets to protect your head. But it's hard to get the point across to hot heads.

Do as you please, it's a free country

Its a free country but unfortunately stupid actions like not wearing a bike helmet keep us from getting free health care. Not helmets alone but all these senseless, selfish things add up. I wish everyone who didn't want to wear a helmet had to have a DNR(do not resuscitate) bracelet or necklace. Plus think about the guilt about a driver killing a cyclist. If a car kills a moronic cyclist(aka a helmetless cyclist) and its the cyclists fault they'll feel guilty for the rest of their lives...if they hit a cyclist with a helmet and its the cyclists fault...and they wind up OK they shouldn't have any regrets. They shouldn't have any regrets either way but they will if the biker is dead.