Hello from Tucson, AZ

BethL

Hi Everyone,

I found this site a few weeks ago with my search for a Vegan Bodybuilding website, but decided today to start chatting with everyone and getting to know other people who share the same interests and passions.

I have been weightlifting for about 14 years now, I am not naturally muscular at all, I have to work hard for every oz. I have only been a Vegan for a couple months, before that I was a vegetarian who ate eggs and dairy.

I decided to become a vegetarian for ethical/moral reasons not health reasons. Although I believe that humans are suppose to eat a Omnivorous diet (if we were not, plant food would provide V B12 somewhere, since it doesn't I have no choice but to believe we suppose to eat animal occasionally). However, humans are Greedy Gluttons who have abused their rights on this planet. I am Vegan because I stand up for the Animals who have and are being abused for consumption, entertainment, lab testing and used for cloths, shoes etc.

I have no choice in the matter. Until the day I see that we as humans have learned not to abuse and disregard all living things on earth I shall remain a Vegan.

Beth

Edited by BethL

Hey Beth! I'm glad you're here . I actually grew up in Tucson. I live in Prescott now.

It's funny that you mention that perhaps humans were designed to consume animal products from time to time. My gf and I were just having this conversation the other day. I can see where you're coming from considering B-12, carnitine, etc. I have heard that we used to be able to obtain B-12 from the dirt on our veggies, until we had to start washing everything we ate. I'll have to check on carnitine and get back to you. As you mention, though, regardless of how our early ancestors may have eaten, there is just too much abuse associated with consuming animal products in modern times.

Hi Mike,

Thanks or your reply. I would love to hear what you find out. Thank goodness we can suppliment, not sure I am up for eating dirt lol

I never really thought of Carnitine, because I get my essential amino acids from Hemp.

Cool that you grew up in Tucson. My family and I have been here 5 years now and love it. We are from the Illinois and Indiana.

Welcome! Great muscles, workout really has worked for you! Great to hear you've recently went vegan.

BTW, humans produce a lot of B12 (well, actually bacteria since B12 is a bacteria based vitamin) but our body cannot use it since the bacteria is located at the wrong part of digestion. We're too clean.

False alarm on the carnitine: it turns out that the only concern is that vegan foods often contain less, but there are plenty of sources (peanut butter, nuts, legumes, wheat...).

I agree about supplementation. A few drops of a B-12 supplement tastes way better than dirt .

By the way, hemp is an awesome food source!

Beth, you look absolutely amazing. I think I stared at your avatar in awe for a good 5 minutes before I posted this hello. I am glad you are here and I look forward to going to check out all the posts you just put up and all future reads.

Arizona is my favorite place in America that I have visited. That may change once I go to portland in july but as of right now nothing beats the high energy from the red rocks in sedona, unforettable hiking and camping in the grand canyon, the tree of life in patagonia, the nightlife in scottsdale and the gentle strength in tempeh...... etc etc

Glad to have you here and welcome.

oh yeah and no interest in gritty soil born organism and microbe chewing meals????? cmon all!

Thanks SyrLinus, Tuc and Lean and green. I couldn't ask for a better welcome.

I still am learning the Vegan way, but I love it

Tuc that is interesting, I am going to read up more on B12

Mike thanks for the update

Lean and Green, what can I say to your comment, but God bless you

I really need to get off my butt here and get some exercise. Be Cool!

Welcome Beth!

Very brave avatar. Glad to have you. I agree that veganism isn't the only way to eat. It's definitely a choice - one that only an educated, affluent society could make. But it makes the most sense for those of us who can do so.

Looking forward to your posts.

Vit B12 is important but so are some other nutrients, especially omega 3 fatty acids. If you follow the forums, you'll discover that I have a certain passion for vegan nutrition.

Welcome to the forum I may be in Tuscon eventually in a year or so...maybe we can all get together for some grub or something.

Welcome to the boards Beth! I am based in Tucson too.

Have you been to Lovin Spoonful's? That place rocks!

Hi Xveganjoshx, that for the tip. I haven't been there, but will check it out. I don't eat out very often at all. I go to Casbah on 4th once a year with a Vegetarian friend and sweet tomatoes occasionally. But loving spoon full sounds great, I just looked them up lol Vegan cheese woohooo lol

Welcome Beth!

Very brave avatar. Glad to have you. I agree that veganism isn't the only way to eat. It's definitely a choice - one that only an educated, affluent society could make. But it makes the most sense for those of us who can do so.

Looking forward to your posts.

Vit B12 is important but so are some other nutrients, especially omega 3 fatty acids. If you follow the forums, you'll discover that I have a certain passion for vegan nutrition.

Thanks DV, I do try to rotate my fat, from flax seed, sunflower seeds and nut butters etc to get my omega 3 and 6. I don't use oils much at all. Some mixed nuts occasionally, because I don't have a lot of self control when it comes to them. I have done my homework, even picked a different fruit of veggie every two weeks to try. But always looking for new tips and ideas.

I look forward to reading your posts too, and great biceps

I wanted to thank everyone else too for the welcome, I already love it here

It is so refeshing to chat with people who have the same nutritional interests and have a compassion for the planet and all of Gods creatures

Beth, you look absolutely amazing. I think I stared at your avatar in awe for a good 5 minutes before I posted this hello. I am glad you are here and I look forward to going to check out all the posts you just put up and all future reads.

Arizona is my favorite place in America that I have visited. That may change once I go to portland in july but as of right now nothing beats the high energy from the red rocks in sedona, unforettable hiking and camping in the grand canyon, the tree of life in patagonia, the nightlife in scottsdale and the gentle strength in tempeh...... etc etc

Glad to have you here and welcome.

oh yeah and no interest in gritty soil born organism and microbe chewing meals????? cmon all!

I bet Oregon will be amazing, I have not explored the Northwest yet. Sounds like you travel a lot

Although I believe that humans are suppose to eat a Omnivorous diet (if we were not, plant food would provide V B12 somewhere, since it doesn't I have no choice but to believe we suppose to eat animal occasionally).

Welcome.

Regarding B12, this is often debated. viewtopic.php?t=13102 Here is somebody I posted about that doesn't supplement, and had a B12 test. Then, there's Bigbwii that's a fruitarian. I don't think he supplements, but not sure. Harley, the first one, does eat a lot of wild plants, so the B12 might indeed be coming from some dirt on the plants.

Of course supplementation is recommended.