Yoga Ball at the computer as a chair?

robert

Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Why or why not?

I just moved into a new house and I don't have any chairs and don't want to scratch the floor so I'm using a Yoga Ball that Ravi gave me. (Totally sweet, thanks Ravi, I like it so far).

I'm using it while I sit at my desk and I'm fairly close to eye level with the screen without having to prop it up. I moved in with two other forum members and we currently have two others visiting from out of town and one pointed out how great it is for my core and then I realized that my abs are training a lot of the time while I'm at the computer.

I just thought it was for posture not core work.

So is it actually good for posture/pressure off the back or would it be better to lean against something like a wall or chair?

I do like the ab workout but I do feel a bit of tension on my mid-back, maybe I just need to adjust the way I sit.

Thoughts? Anyone use one instead of a chair?

I don't see why it would be a problem for most people so long as they didn't get lazy and just plot down. You're different though. With your history of lower back problems I wouldn't do anything that aggravated it....its too risky.

I'm always on a yoga ball instead of a chair, since a few years, except sometimes when I'm eating at the table. But the only other times I sit, it's in fron of my computer, on a yoga ball, and I recomment it to anybody. Before, I had pains at the back of the neck too, you just need to find the right way to sit, also, it's not always working on the abs, for this too, you need to try different positions.

It's better than a normal chair : if you move to another place, just empty the air and it makes a perfect portable chair.

Robert;

I tried this several years ago after meeting John Pierre at the North American Vegetarian Society's 5 day vegan vegfest festival.

If you try this make sure that you get one of the more expensive balls that are made out of semi_POROUS material. This will let SOME air out when you sit on it and keep the ball from popping.

Also keep the ball on a clean surface, free of splinters of any kind, preferably on a mat.

I did not do these things.

I tried the ball

For a couple of days it worked great. I could feel my muscles working while I sat. My balance improved, my back felt healthier.

Then I heard a "gunshot" One second later I found myself on the wooden planks of my living room floor with my hip bones ground into them. At least I learned from that I did not have osteoporsis, but I did have pain for about a week.

Edited by beforewisdom

I never bought any expensive yoga balls, always 7$ ones, and none ever exploded. The first and second one slowly emptied because of tiny holes, my floor was never very clean so it could be anything, glass of plastic.

The one I have now is also the cheapest we can find but it's now 4 months and works perfeclty fine on a carpet floor.

The national protection agency for yoga balls tells robert:

"Sit on your own damn balls."

I thought that Richard would be the fastest to crack a joke of sitting on one's balls..

My gf sometimes bounces on a huge gym ball while using the computer. I don't know if it works or not though.

Anyone ever have sex on a Swiss Ball(yoga ball). In the fitness industry we call them swiss balls. Robert, I would alternate from the SB to probably the floor with back against the wall or hell, get some giant bean bags and plop down into one while on laptop!

i tried sitting at the pc with a ball for a day, for me, it stressed my back too much because i have a shotty lower back, but i can handle on and off .... i don't see any problems unless you're hunched over the entire time, then it's a waste

Great for your abs, but if you're on the computer a long time you'll start putting pressure on your back (leaning forward, slouching, etc.) If you really like it for your abs, start out with it but when you start slouching or your abs get tired - move on to a chair or something with lumbar support.

I tried the yoga ball as well but as an office "chair" I chose this:

http://www.swopper.com/~swopper/admin/ktmlpro/images/uploads/home%20page/home_swopper_hero.gif

It's a swopper and it simulates a ball without the disadvantages like rolling away, exploding etc.

• 14 years later...

We all have those times where we just need to sit down and relax, but we aren't sure where to go. It's not uncommon to take the phone or tablet into another room and use it as a laptop chair because you're out of things to do or want to spend some time playing games or surfing the net. Need to check this  https://reclineradvice.com/recliner-wont-go-down/ and get more new ways for sofa recliners. However, if you are someone who loves to practice yoga or even just wants a good back massage then this might not be the best option for you. This can be solved by using a yoga ball at the computer instead.