Which martial art makes you feel safer ?

If you feel safe from knowing a martial art then maybe you have fear issues? Personal comfort issues? Try countering a nuke.

Apart from that I would imagine aikido practitioners feel pretty confident. Same with capoeira. These two to me would be the internal safety and external. I would not consider any MMA stuff other than JKD to have any credit here because any smart assailant would have backup, and after you wrestle one to the ground the others will stab you in the back if they have not shot you by that point. This is all from my point of view though. Remember there is no spoon.

Gyre wrote:

Remember there is no spoon

Sometimes Gyre there is a spoon.Sometimes there are alot of spoons.Sometimes there are more spoons that forks.Other times there are giant spoons in multi packs.

Never deny the existence of a particular item of cutlery, that is knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I prefer a type that is strictly self-defense. I have taken classes in TaiChi before, but I would like to practice something that is a little more "physically energetic" so to speak. However, I have heard that TaiChi is the Grandmaster of Martial Arts. Is this true? I am looking for something that has a "philosophy" as well as a physical discipline. What type of Martial arts should I start taking classes in?

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm terribly biased, but I happen to think that my style--Fuji-Ryu Jujitsu-- is absolutely GREAT for self defense! Mind you, I did study in Isshin Ryu Karate and Tae Kwon Do before I found Fuji. And I've played with tons of other styles during seminars and martial arts events. The great thing about Fujji Ru is that it's hard core Jujitsu, adapted to street fighting (weapons, barehanded and Gracie style...which we call Sports Jujitsu...) Good stuff (IMHO)!

Well, I'm terribly biased, but I happen to think that my style--Fuji-Ryu Jujitsu-- is absolutely GREAT for self defense! Mind you, I did study in Isshin Ryu Karate and Tae Kwon Do before I found Fuji. And I've played with tons of other styles during seminars and martial arts events. The great thing about Fujji Ru is that it's hard core Jujitsu, adapted to street fighting (weapons, barehanded and Gracie style...which we call Sports Jujitsu...) Good stuff (IMHO)!

actually that isn't such a terrible bias; in fact, it makes sense that what you are currently studying is what you believe to be the best fit for you at this time and place.

i used to train and work at fighthouse (on 27th st) fka chau's martial arts (25th st) both in NYC and it was amazing because there was more than a dozen different styles and schools going on on any given day... sometimes even simultaneously!

what i gleaned from this, imo, was that the passion, compatibility, and individuality (among other variables) surpassed the actual style itself. and that any exclusivity or superiority complexes may just be self imposed and or ego driven?

in the position i was in at the dojo aka kwoon, i was (and still am) able to train and share a kinship with practitioners of many ways, that wasn't just one group per se.

btw, i think that the original post question Which martial art makes you feel safer? is an excellent one; a koan perhaps; in that there may be no wrong answer...

regarding fuji-ryu jitsu, VegannNY, where do you train?

i see there are dojo's in brooklyn, bronx, and long island (http://www.fujiryu.com/home.html) amd i was curious.

paul

Paul -

Haven't trained for awhile, actually - due primarily to long work hours and commute issues...but my dojo is the Bronx one with Shihan Linda Ramzy. I *cannot* say enough about how absolutely amazing she is. Honestly, if it was Shihan Ramzy vs. a tank...I'm voting on Shihan....! She's the real deal, focusing on VERY hard core street fighting all the way. (That said, we're really friendly with the sister dojos, and are even planning our annual picnic next month in Long Island...!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As some of the previous postings have indicated, performance in a street fight really comes down to experience. The adrenal rush of truly fighting someone, especially a stranger, whom you have no idea about his full intentions, causes a large varity of fear responses and most of them are not good for a well-conducted fight. Martial arts training does very little for someone to prepare them for that, in general. But, the closest you can get to getting yourself ready for that, and feeling safer is to get involved with competing, and regular full contact sparring in your school. And I am not talking about point-sparring in tae kwan do or karate etc, I mean you put on gloves, shin guards and maybe headgear and just go full out with a training partner. You will do this scores of times in preparing for a ring fight, but getting one of those ring fighs under your belt goes a long way in preparing you. As far as what arts: a good mix of boxing, muay thai, wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the best cocktail; most decent schools purporting to teach MMA should be working a regimen like this and it's great for staying in shape too. The more you train to fight, the less apt you will be to ever get in one...you'd be surprised how many street fights are egos looking to make sure that they aren't bruised and when you know in your heart that you could probably take this person out, you are much better prepared to walk away, ego intact....as well as everybody's face.

What help was self defense. Going on 18 yrs ago and I stopped training 9 yrs ago.

I wanted to learn how to defend myself. I use to get threaten by the bullies at school. And watching people getting beat up at school. That I was afraid that I would be one of those people.

At 12 I joined Shotokan at 12 and I received my orange belt. (I never got threatened at that age, but I joined Karate from seeing the movie the Karate Kid hah

But When I was 15 I joined another Dojo.

It was a combination of Shotokan Karate, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and Grappling.

With all my knowledge and experience I never had to run into a situation of getting beaten up. Except for my fights that were set up in the ring.

My advice I would hand out is look for a good Sensei with a good background who has heart.

and just be dedicated,

This was my Sensei and my dojo that I use to go to.

http://www.peterecskickboxing.com/community/index.htm

Ask me now how to do a spin kick, I would probably fall on my ass

• 3 weeks later...

I was having a conversation with my wife last night regarding street defense/fighting.

Via training in jeet kune do,kali and muay thai i have a good grounding in some very effective styles.That said,in a real life or death street situation i would hope i would avoid anything along the lines of throwing a punch!

Go for the eyes! Yeah boy! eye gouge with fingers,pens,keys etc! if you can get a good eye jab in first,delivered fast and hard that gonna give you some time to do what you need to do .Forget about trying to deliver that good roundhouse kick or trying for a BJJ choke or take down. In real time street action or home defence get NASTY and atttack with gouging,`fish hooks`,bites,groin kicks/stamps etc as these will all imobilize your attacker until you decide to flee or finish them off!

• 2 months later...

Since i have been taking and recently started teaching Krav Maga i am semi partial to this style. But like a few people have said it's about being well rounded fighter that will make you the safest on the street. Whats good about krav and other styles like it is that you will work your stand up, some ground work and choke/weapon defenses. But what really makes it good is that when you train you train for real life situations and not sport. In krav there are no rules like most MMA. If you train sport MMA there is no groin shots, eye poking, fish hooks, ear tears, hair pulls, using your keys or a rock on the floor as a weapon. The reality on the streets is if somone is going to attack me i am going to do anything possible to remove the threat. If that means chopping to the thoat or a solid knee to the groin then so be it. The one constant in a fight is that you just never know whats will happen. You could have a stand up brawl just as easy as you could trip, fall and find your self being kicked while on the ground. So you want to find a style that will work all these situations. I think if you just do kickboxing/ Muay Thai or just do BJJ you limit your self. Now if you combine the 2 you stand a much better shot. Add that in with choke, headlock, knife/gun defenses and you highly increase your chances of being safe on the street. But like i always say in class your best defense is the Nike defense. If possible turn and get the fuck out of there before a situation ever happens. That is what will keep you alive. Leave your ego at the door. You can train forever but the odds are always going to be against you when there is a knife stabbing towards you.

veganjkd Yours posts made me smile.

Im sure you know, but in a lot of Bruce Lee's books he always said to go for the eyes as fast as possible.

Anyways. I agree with a posters above.

You can train in Kung Fu, Boxing, Krav Maga, JKD, whatever, but if your school doesnt actually have you fight people, your never going to know what to do in real life situations.

Sure, some of the styles are better in different situations than others, like I would take Krav Maga weapon defense (gun, knife, grenade launcher, pipes, grenades) over kung fu weapon defense anyday. But I would take Aikido's take down defenses against Krav Maga's.

But all that doesnt matter if you dont come to the real situation as close and as much as possible. Like I said in another post Ive seen fights between people who have trained in boxing for 2 years, with all the sparring that goes along with it, fight someone who had taken Tae Kwon Do for 10 years with no actual sparring being done. The boxer won hands down. (old videos before youtube was around. im not sure i can find them anymore)

Bruce Lee always said to train in aliveness, despite your martial art. By aliveness be meant by training with the speed you would have when fighting, and to spar, a lot.

I feel most comfortable with Jeet Kune Do. I also trained in Muay Thai for a couple of years.

I havent done much training except for bag work in a while due to persistant injuries in my shoulders.

But also, the best self-defense is not to get in the situation in the first place. If your somewhere you know your going to get into a fight, leave that area. Your pride isnt worth your life. Bar and street fights can get real ugly real quick.

• 1 month later...

I think Jeet Kune Do is the best at actual self defense applications that anyone can easily and quickly learn and remember. I've also done some karate, HapKiDo, MuayThai, Boxing and Kickboxing but those are more about art and self perfection rather than self preservation. Kali has the best weapons training. Although I've only learned it though JKD.

• 2 months later...

I would say mma but I wont. Mostly because mma fighters seem like they might attract more danger into thier lives. I used to practice mma a bit and I can attest to it.

But on the other hand even a classical martial art that disciplines your mind combined with street smarts will make you feel safer. One of the basic tenets of a lot of martial arts is "you should never need to get into a real fight if you can avoid it."