I've Gone Bananas!

Thanks to this forum, I have learned the value and true bliss of having a whole bunch of banana's at your disposal. I have always been more of an apple person, granny smith in particular.

But after joining vbbf and seeing the love for bananas amongst so many, it has become contagious and i have slowly worked my way up to consuming many each day where i used to not consume any on the regular.

I just realized that I have a ton of them right now\

34 to be exact! anmd i have already eaten 4 today and 3 last night so i actually had 41....

8 are non organic, they were being thrown out at a party i worked and i thought that wasn't right.

Anyone else have a whole bunch of banana's handy at all times? How many do you usually pick up at once?

Rawkev, do you always get crates of them? Tasha i'm sure you get a whole bunch at once.

GO BANANAS!

yeah lol, we talked about bananas in many threads... After reading how many bananas some people here were eating each day, I started to ask myself some questions... I didn't eat any banana for like a year, (because of the Blood Type diet), and before that I was eating some, but not more than any other fruit in particular, 1 per day or less.

But since I started eating bananas again, if I have some at hope, I'll eat tons of them.

WHY? I begin to think there is something addicting in it.

If I don't have any organic ones at home ready to eat, like if they're still green, sometimes I'll even go buy some non-organic ripe ones to eat that day.

Last fall, Odidnetne and I were buying bananas by the case. (Usually for about $10 to $12, which was awesome.)

I have no ideas how many bananas are in a case, but I can tell you that I was tired of looking at them after about the third case.

Starting to crave bananas again, though...

I don't know what it is about bananas. They are a pretty cheap fruit, and very tasty. They go good in smoothies, cereal, oatmeal, pancakes, cookies, cakes, and probably lots of other foods. I wonder if you can eat too many bananas?

I've calculated that I go through about 10 pounds of bananas a week, all blended in my smoothies (3 per day + whole food meals). Luckily since they are blended, that is considered processing them, so they are not raw by strict raw standards. So I'm still at 100% cooked food.

I've calculated that I go through about 10 pounds of bananas a week, all blended in my smoothies (3 per day + whole food meals). Luckily since they are blended, that is considered processing them, so they are not raw by strict raw standards. So I'm still at 100% cooked food.

Consider frying them.

Thanks to this forum, I have learned the value and true bliss of having a whole bunch of banana's at your disposal. I have always been more of an apple person, granny smith in particular.

But after joining vbbf and seeing the love for bananas amongst so many, it has become contagious and i have slowly worked my way up to consuming many each day where i used to not consume any on the regular.

I just realized that I have a ton of them right now\

34 to be exact! anmd i have already eaten 4 today and 3 last night so i actually had 41....

8 are non organic, they were being thrown out at a party i worked and i thought that wasn't right.

Anyone else have a whole bunch of banana's handy at all times? How many do you usually pick up at once?

Rawkev, do you always get crates of them? Tasha i'm sure you get a whole bunch at once.

GO BANANAS!

I'm glad you found the love for bananas

Kev does buy them by the case. If you decide to too. You'll find your place smelling like them !

I usually got through stages. I'll eat 10-20 per day. And sometimes I won't eat them. If I don't ride I won't eat any because they burn me out and I'll end up taking a nap instead.

Kev eats a lot more then I do. So he's the banana expert

I think they are the essential ingredient in my diet. I'm with you 100% Marcina, I have to have at least 1 daily. The best is to freeze them and then blend them up with some soy milk, peanuts, raisins and cocoa powder, as thick as your blender can handle it. It is amazing!!!!

i've been buying a case of burro bananas a week, not sure if this is true or not, but since they are grown in smaller quantities, and are not the product of selective breeding, they are supposed to all be virtually organic

i just bought some of those the other day for the first time.

although i had the understanding that all edible bananas are the product of selective breeding.

here's a pic of of an ancestor of today's bananas....

http://www.apsnet.org/education/feature/banana/Images/Figure4.jpg

I'm glad you posted that picture brother shamus. That is the exact reason why I stopped consuming them. The second picture didn't show up btw of you and the banana remains... I never developed an affinity for them anyhow and a friend of mine gave me a cd from a lecture that david wolfe gave. He stated that no bananas today are pure and are a result of selective breeding as you have stated.

He said that bananas found in the wild were brown and had very large seeds and they did not taste good. He said all bananas organic or not should be avoided unless you are in indonesia where they have real bananas. Claimed that he could be stuffed after eating just one indonesian banana because it was real food.

I stopped consuming them. Then I read his books and many of his recipes have bananas in them. I figured there all are all sorts of extremes and such and you should do what feels right. It felt right to consume bananas so i went back to them.

Then I came here and caught the 'wave' of love for bananas. It's not like i'm eating a tub of lard, how bad could they be???

I've never jumped on the banana band wagon..

I have maybe one per day. Maybe two if I put them in smoothies.

I DO love making Banana Blueberry ice cream though.. that would be

my favorite way to consume bananas(frozen).

Other then that though, it just doesn't make much sense for me to consume

much of them... they have to travel a LONG (fossil fueled) way to get to me,

not to mention issues with plantations, workers rights, etc.

(however I always buy fair-trade organic).. plus they aren't local, so..

they feel unnecessary to me I suppose...

I know you believe in eating local, but what about eating what your ethnic region ate? For example, my family is from the Caribbean, they have only been here for one generation (I'm second), so they are pretty much used to a diet of lots of mangos, bananas, etc. What about eating that, even if in this case it isn't local? Just curious.

I know you believe in eating local, but what about eating what your ethnic region ate? For example, my family is from the Caribbean, they have only been here for one generation (I'm second), so they are pretty much used to a diet of lots of mangos, bananas, etc. What about eating that, even if in this case it isn't local? Just curious.

Oh absolutely! I am very pro-regional eating.

Especially when geneaology is concerned. However I know little to none of mine... I know a lot of my family was from France, more northern

regions. But I don't know much.

I just know eating a lot of bananas doesn't sit well with me.

Also, I mean... if we're thinking in terms of 'ethics' here as well... you

have to consider the possible (avoidable) ramification of your actions.

I'm not trying to put a damper on the banana happiness! I think bananas are great!.. just sayin'. Local is best, at least when carbon footprint is involved..

I do love the mangoes though... but I still only eat maybe one per

day or one every other day. My body just gravitates towards local

produce..

yeah lol, we talked about bananas in many threads... After reading how many bananas some people here were eating each day, I started to ask myself some questions... I didn't eat any banana for like a year, (because of the Blood Type diet), and before that I was eating some, but not more than any other fruit in particular, 1 per day or less.

But since I started eating bananas again, if I have some at hope, I'll eat tons of them.

If I don't have any organic ones at home ready to eat, like if they're still green, sometimes I'll even go buy some non-organic ripe ones to eat that day.

Hi there, I had a friend that kept tellling me that I was not suppose to eat banana's (among a few other things) because I was A+ , she is A+ too and got that info from the Blood Type Diet. Anyway I told her that might be fine for her, but I workout usually more the 2 hours a day and I find banana's to be a major benefit for me. I don't eat more than 1 a day because I have to keep my calories under control.

Just like Tasha, I go through banana phases. I like to call it a banana cycle =P Sometimes I'll eat bananas only all day until a big dinner salad. 5-10 on non training days, and 10-20 if I train hard. Training days are usualy 2000-5000 calories burned. The past few weeks I have been having days without bananas or only 2-3 per day. Being raw it can get tough/expensive to replace the calories with other fruits though. Organic Bananas have been going up in price lately and I haven't been able to get the kind of deals I used to get on full cases, so that is part of the reason why I have cut back for the past few weeks.

I will be adding more melons, organic stone fruits(peaches, plumbs, nectarines), and organic berries to my diet this summer when the are in season a little more locally, and consuming less bananas than during the winter months. Juicier fruits make me feel fresher, cooler, and more hydrated during the summer. I can't say the same for bananas, but they are an excellent and affordable source of fuel for training compared to other raw fruit options.

Hi there, I had a friend that kept tellling me that I was not suppose to eat banana's (among a few other things) because I was A+ , she is A+ too and got that info from the Blood Type Diet. Anyway I told her that might be fine for her, but I workout usually more the 2 hours a day and I find banana's to be a major benefit for me. I don't eat more than 1 a day because I have to keep my calories under control.

There isn't much validity within the Blood Type Diet.

I am an O+ ... which means I should be living on animal products,

especially meat. It also says I should thrive on high-protein.

But I don't, I actually do extremely well on LOW protein &

have been veggie my entire life, and thriving on a vegan

diet for over 13 years.

Listening to your body is your deepest wisdom.

That is great that you do that!