OMG!!

So this is the Vegan bodybuilding forum.. I'll tell you why i am surprised.

I have written a small novel - please read on though!

Many years ago when I stopped eating meat, I lost weight because of it.For years I stayed like that, but I wanted to get back to a good size.I decided that doing some weights would be a good thing to do & so for many months I did weights but gained very little because I didnt change my diet at all (I had done 0 research & thought that I was doing something wrong with my workouts)

Having been told that I had to eat more food & eat some meat because of the protein I very grudgingly started eating fish.I still didnt get any bigger, & realised why when I bought a mens health magazine a saw the dietry needs of someone working out as much as me.I was getting about 2000-2500 kcal a day instead of the recommended 3000-4000.I also noticed the huge amount of meat in the suggested diet.Everyone I spoke to said - "yes you need more meat"

I was not prepared to eat any more than my 1 portion of fish a day & so I soldiered on, eating alot of eggs and cheese/milk to supplement my protein intake.In the end it started to work & kilo by kilo I put on the weight.I started at 10.5 stone & now I am at 12.5 stone.

But - Iwas sick of eating eggs/milk/cheese & gave up all of them.That makes me a vegan apart from the fish, which i wanted to give up but desperately wanted to bulk up aswell - being convinced that without it I just wouldnt.Then I found this forum..

Are you guys seriously telling me you can body build & gain weight without any animal product in your diet?

Please explain

What is it in the meat that is not in the plants?

Of course you can gain muscle on a vegan diet. I actually have a hard time keeping the weight off. If you would belive the BB magazines I would look like a shrimp by now. The people who have met knows I don't.

If you want to gain muscle faster just eat more calories.

When I was bulking a couple of years ago, I put on over 20kg in less than a year and all 100% vegan. It's easy really, just eat man. Eat until you are full, then eat some more. Focus on beans, nuts, whole grains and healthy fats like olive oil. If you're unsure of your overall nutrition, throw in a vegan multi-vitamin and add a couple of soy protein shakes.

Lose the fish, milk, cheese and eggs. You want to be lean and strong, not constipated, artery clogged and morally deficient.

Are you guys seriously telling me you can body build & gain weight without any animal product in your diet?

Please explain

Hi Dan

Yes you can gain weight, fat or muscle, eating only plants.

Check out the profile section, there are some very big guys there.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bios

Here are some more pictures of Avi Lehyani

viewtopic.php?t=13139

I'm just a casual lifter and I've lost a lot of fat and put on some muscle.

There's no need for explanation. You're trying to keep yourself convinced that you need it. There are many people here building muscle and thats explanation enough. I myself was huge before I went vegan but became considerably stronger when I did become vegan...going from benching 340-370 and squatting 550-600lbs very soon after going vegan. I was only 19 but close to 300lbs when I did this. I didn't loose a single ounce of mass and I actually lost fat and gained muscle without really trying...I wasn't in a part of my season where I was trying to get bigger or stronger but I did anyway. Now I'm a cyclist and way too muscular for my own good. I'm fighting to lose every bit of muscle that I can and I'm failing miserably to do so and this is on a vegan diet that I'm following to lose muscle.

Thanks for the feedback guys, its a real weight off my shoulder (excuse the pun) to know that actually vegetarian & even vegan body building is possible.Honestly I didnt think it was possible, which is unsurprising when you think how little this style of diet is advertised.

To be honest I was going to go back to being vegan anyway, but was unhappy that I would have to give up the weights.

Now I can do both, & it really is fantastic that I have found this forum, & also people who have the same ideals & aims as I have.

Again thanks for the feedback, I will check out the diet section to get some tips & look forward to joining in with the discussions.

Must get an avatar on here!

yes potter your first point is spot on.I related eating the tuna as being the thing that helped me start to gain weight.Now I know this is not the case I can be a natural earth hippy again!

Not sure what your various reasons are for being vegan, but like me I suspect that mainly it is a moral objection to harming animals.For me, giving up meat was for moral & spiritual reasons, the health benefit was a welcome side effect.

Historically vegetarianism has long been the habit of spiritually enlightened social groups.Buddhists & Hindus are well known for avoiding meat, but going back further it may be of interest to know that Egyptian priests had to abstain from eating animal product as part of their religious beliefs.

Anyway enough of my geeky history ramblings! SOZ lol

Ah thankyou Michael - I will give it a look.All of my friends from school are non vege's & while they share my views in theory they are too stuck in their ways to actually do anything.I think it would be great to have some vegan friends, at the moment my gf is the only person I know

Oh Dan, you most certainly will not have a problem. I became literally 4x stronger as a vegan in a 1yr timeframe than i was as an on omni in a 4yr timeframe. Yes I got more serious with training and eating properly but the vegan diet certainly helped!

There are so many sources of protein:

Pea Protein, Hemp Protein, Soy Protein, Spirulina and Chlorella and then of course whole foods, nuts, beans and the protein in other foods, veggies, grains etc etc.....

You get a ton of energy from unprocessed whole foods that are vegan and a well balanced diet of fats proteins and carbs.

Do not even worry about it in the slightest. And on the major plus side, you will no longer have to be the one causing that horrible nasty stench of fish in the quarters where you are. People used to loathe me in college when i opened up a can of tuna in class, hell i loathed me but i had thought, like you, that it was the best way to build muscle tissue. It isn't the only way and def not necessarily the most effective.

I think it would be great to have some vegan friends, at the moment my gf is the only person I know

Oh dude, that is plenty. I'd trade my vegan friends for a nice vegan gf I knew I could stick with for the long run anyways. Of course I would never give up my friends for a girl but you know what I mean. The fact you have a vegan companion to share your time with, is really REALLY a major bonus and wonderful thing. A great way to meet new people is at potlucks, I have met many friends at those. Also, I have a whole bunch of new vegan friends in lieu of this forum. A vegan vacation where I will meet so many others and two local friends already, one of which I will start to train with!

The closest I ever came was having a vegetarian gf for 6 mos who ate cheese once in awhile. She's now a full out vegan but we no longer date. I have dated vegans and raw foodists but I have never gone out with them exclusively.

Cherish it.

Loving the cheesy picture lean&green

Apart from the smelly tuna, I do already eat alot of oats, nuts, fruit & veg, & have recently started soya so I do not have to adjust my diet too much thankfully..

Yeah it is great to have a vegan gf.When we met she was not a vegan or vege but I explained to her why I was, & she gave up meat straight away.I do think it would be difficult by now if she hadnt, & I totally agree, I am very lucky.Its a shame you cant meet a nice vegan girl, just keep looking & Im sure you will find one soon

Btw what are 'Spirulina and Chlorella'

They sound like really nasty diseases youd catch on a hike in borneo

Its a shame you cant meet a nice vegan girl, just keep looking & Im sure you will find one soon

Don't feel too sorry for Lean and Green. He lives in Brooklyn, in New York City. Probably the highest concentration of awesome vegan women on the planet there! Not to mention vegan restaurants on every corner.

Well as I have mentioned it has been a welcome surprise to me.

I have officially started my vegan diet again & am looking forward to working out again (i had to stop for the last week cos ive had a really crappy cold for ages)

Thanks again for your comments and support