Affliction MMA Events

i have been hesitating to post this because i didn't want to post a rumor, but it looks now like it is pretty much set now. Affliction Clothing Company has put together their first MMA event to be on PPV. it is going to be called BANNED and will be held July 19 2008 in Anaheim, California. and they have put together a pretty good card.

* Fedor Emelianenko vs Tim Sylvia

* Josh Barnett vs Pedro Rizzo

* Ben Rothwell vs Andre "The Pit Bull" Arlovski

* Aleksander Emelianenko vs Paul Buentello

* Matt Lindland vs Fabio Negao

* Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs Mike Whitehead

a couple things still bother me. one, how did they get Aleksander Emilianenko on the card? i had heard he had been trying to get a visa to fight in america for so long, but he couldn't because of his criminal record (he served 3 yrs in a russian gulag for armed robbery). somehow Affliction got him in. and the other thing that bothers me is that there is no mention of this on Affliction's website. i would figure this event would have it's own website by now. after all, if this is all true, that means it has the 5 of the top 10 ranked heavyweights in the world competing!

but i wouldn't post a rumor just because i heard it from a friend. there are other sources:

** Adrenaline MMA website confirms Tim Sylvia and Ben Rothwell will be competing (they are both signed to Adrenaline MMA contracts).

** the last 3 paragraphs of this report state that Elite XC is not letting their fighters wear any Affliction gear at their May 31st event, because of conflict of interest, Affliction now being their competition.

** one of the fighters scheduled to fight, Ben Rothwell, himself posted on a message board that he is fighting Andrei Arlovski.

** here is an article about Affliction not being able to land a TV deal with Mark Cuban and HDNet, but still set for PPV.

** and finally here is an interview on Inside MMA, where Josh Barnett (scheduled to fight Pedro Rizzo) and Tom Atencio (VP of Affliction) are telling the world it is a done deal.

so there you have it. hopefully we'll have some official word directly from the Affliction website soon.

Edited by ronnie kray

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, it's official! the website is up. the rumored card is mostly true. Aleks Emiliamenko is not listed, maybe the visa problems i talked about earlier. Ben Rothwell is confirmed, but his opponent is to be announced, so Andrei Arlovski is not officially part of the line up yet. other than that the rumors were accurate. Fedor, Babalu, Josh Barnett, Matt Lindland, Tim Sylvia, all on the same card!

here is the website:

www.AfflictionBanned.com

okay, it's official! the website is up. the rumored card is mostly true. Aleks Emiliamenko is not listed, maybe the visa problems i talked about earlier. Ben Rothwell is confirmed, but his opponent is to be announced, so Andrei Arlovski is not officially part of the line up yet. other than that the rumors were accurate. Fedor, Babalu, Josh Barnett, Matt Lindland, Tim Sylvia, all on the same card!

here is the website:

www.AfflictionBanned.com

um isnt that the other Buffer doing the voice over. The ready to rumble guy. Isnt his brother with the UFC. I guess that he learned from his brother that MMA is the wave of the future. He jumped on this train.

Is it giong to be in a cage or a ring? Fedor said a while back that he wanted to have some warm ups in a cage so he was ready for the change.

initial word says it is gonna be a ring.

Affliction held a press conference today. they officially announced the card and several fighters were there in person for interviews. among the announcements were that Aleksander Emilianenko is indeed confirmed to fight on July 19, Affliction has just signed Antonio Rogerio "Lil Nog" Nogueira, and that first hour of the pay per view would be broadcast live on FSN for free.

Here is a short clipof the press conference.

Here is an article about it.

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/61/60872.jpg

i still feel... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RANDY!

initial word says it is gonna be a ring.

Affliction held a press conference today. they officially announced the card and several fighters were there in person for interviews. among the announcements were that Aleksander Emilianenko is indeed confirmed to fight on July 19, Affliction has just signed Antonio Rogerio "Lil Nog" Nogueira, and that first hour of the pay per view would be broadcast live on FSN for free.

Here is a short clipof the press conference.

Here is an article about it.

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/61/60872.jpg

i still feel... IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RANDY!

yes it should be Randy but this onw will be good too. I like the height difference.

• 3 weeks later...

OFFICIAL!

Andrei Arlovski has signed with Affliction and will be facing Ben Rothwell on July 19.

also pretty big news, Donald Trump is now backing Affliction.

check out this quote from the above article:

"We'll probably be asking Tito to come along also," Trump said. "We have many, many great fighters, but we'll be asking Tito to come along."

ehow much longer on Randy's Contract. I thought it was only 8 months at the time of his retirement., I would love to see him join up there too.

His contract is up sometime in July and fedor himself said he wanted that fight so it should happen!

I was thinking about Randy's whole contract and situation and I was wondering why he didn't just do what BJ Penn did back when he won the welterweight title. Didn't BJ basically just break his contract obligations by fighting over seas. So zuffa just let him go. Seams like that would have been an easier route.

ehow much longer on Randy's Contract. I thought it was only 8 months at the time of his retirement., I would love to see him join up there too.

His contract is up sometime in July and fedor himself said he wanted that fight so it should happen!

I was thinking about Randy's whole contract and situation and I was wondering why he didn't just do what BJ Penn did back when he won the welterweight title. Didn't BJ basically just break his contract obligations by fighting over seas. So zuffa just let him go. Seams like that would have been an easier route.

I believe that is exactly what happenned. However I think that the contracts that were created after that , and I dont know if Randy current contract was penned after the BJ situation, were created to prevent that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

well as you all know by now, the above event was postponed. it seems to be back on track and scheduled for Jan 24th.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/42/l_df57956b87c3423f8e682f971b125655.jpg

Day Of Reckoning

Matt Lindland vs Vitor Belfort

Josh Barnett vs Gilber Yvel

Vladimir Matyushenko vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Fedor Emilianenko vs Andrei Arlovski

normally the odds would be heavlily against anyone fighting Fedor. i would say his is still the favorite, but with Fedor's recent loss in World Combat Sambo Championship, his fight against Andrei Arlovski just got a bit more interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
well as you all know by now, the above event was postponed. it seems to be back on track and scheduled for Jan 24th.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/42/l_df57956b87c3423f8e682f971b125655.jpg

Day Of Reckoning

Matt Lindland vs Vitor Belfort

Josh Barnett vs Gilber Yvel

Vladimir Matyushenko vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Fedor Emilianenko vs Andrei Arlovski

normally the odds would be heavlily against anyone fighting Fedor. i would say his is still the favorite, but with Fedor's recent loss in World Combat Sambo Championship, his fight against Andrei Arlovski just got a bit more interesting.

while I do agree that it is interesting, I don't think a sambo loss will affect the odds of an MMA match at all...

• 1 month later...

I thought the event was okay - it really was all about Fedor vs. Arlovski. There's another one for Fedor's reel. Fedor looked especially relaxed - so relaxed he almost looked hurt right before the KO. That must have been what tricked Arlovski into being confident enough to try a flying knee.

did arlowski hit fedors elbow or something? It happenned so fast. It looked like he came down on fedors elbow.

naw, no elbows. first punch landed solid on arlovski's chin, the next swing missed, cuz arlovski was already on the way down.

here's a replay

http://i42.tinypic.com/64qu4l.jpg

• 3 months later...

and the next Affliction event has been made official:

AFFLICTION TRILOGY

Aug 01, 2009

Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8863-AfflictionTrilogy_Poster.jpg

Main Event:

Fedor Emelianenko (#1 ranked heavyweight) vs Josh Barnett (#3 ranked heavyweight)

i'm glad they finally paired these two up against each other. it's been a long time coming. and for Fedor, Barnett is the best competition he could face right now. some publications even rank him as the #2 heavyweight behind Fedor. still... Fedor makes disposing of top 10 heavyweights look easy.

thought no other fights have been made official, they have said that Tim Sylvia, Babalu Sobral, Paul Buentello, Gegard Mousasi, and Vitor Belfor will be fighting that night as well.

Who is the number 2 heavyweight in the world if Fedor is 1 (ofcourse) and barnett is 3?

really depends on who you ask. Sherdog ranks Andre Arlovski (yeah, the guy Fedor just knocked out) at #2, and MMA World ranks Frank Mir as #2 heavyweight. however, MMA Weekly rank Josh Barnett as #2 and Frank Mir #3. but all of them agree that Fedor is ranked #1.

one new bout has been made official for Affliction: Trilogy. Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs Gegard Mousassi