Affliction MMA Events

it will be interesting to see what happens after the fight between Mir and Lesnar. I am really lookiing forward to that fight. I would say that lately I have been looking forward to fights in the UFC more then outside the UFC . Which is a change over the last few years.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disaster Strikes Affliction!

Barnett will NOT be fighting Fedor on Aug 1st.

Source

"Josh Barnett has been pulled from his main event match-up against Fedor Emelianenko due to an alleged positive test result for a banned substance from the California State Athletic Commission"

Barnett's response: “no matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”

in the meantime, Affliction is scurrying trying to find a replacement to face Fedor with 10 days to the fight.

Word is the guy to step up may be Vitor Belfort. I dont see Affliction lasting after this show. Which is unfortunate cause the UFC really needs some competition. I guess we'll see if Affliction crumbles because Barnett is a big enough idiot to be taking steroids in the first place.

OH SNAP!!

AFFLICTION CANCELLED?!?!

it's still breaking news, but i'm seeing this on a couple of different websites now.

i guess without an adequate replacement to fight Fedor, they decided to scrap the whole thing all together.

wonder when the official word will come from Atencio.

EDIT:

“Finding an opponent for the No. 1 ranked MMA heavyweight champion in such a short period of time was a huge endeavor and I’m thrilled at the amount of fighters willing to take on this challenge,” stated Atencio. “But in the end, we just didn’t have enough time to promote a new fight to our standards.”

:-/

Edited by ronnie kray

i do hope they manage to move some of the fights to the Strikeforce event. it would be a shame for those fighters to train so long for nothing.

before today, i would have said it would be years until we saw Fedor in the UFC. suddenly, it doesn't seem so unlikely

but i don't want to get my hopes up.

this has been such a crazy week for MMA.

this fallout may already be changing some UFC events. it seems the rematch between Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin that was originally supposed to be on UFC 103 might be scrapped. franklin updated from his twitter, "Ive heard the ufc pulled my fight off the website for 103. I dont kno y. They hvnt spoken to me @ this, n i assume the fight is still on" SOURCE

and indeed, on the UFC's website, it is not listed as the main event anymore. it just sort of disappeared. hmmmmm....

might be that UFC is already thinking about putting some Affliction fighters in the main event.

well looks like we'll have to wait much longer to see Fedor fight in the UFC.

Fedor won't fight for UFC yet

just looks like neither side is budging on their negotiations.

so now that we know this, i think Randy Couture might be the next to fight Fedor. well, depending on where Fedor ends up fighting. i believe Randy's upcoming fight with Big Nog is the last on his UFC contract. so after that i think he'll try to get a fight against Fedor where ever he is fighting.

unless Fedor goes back to Japan, then i can see Barnett still getting a crack at him first. i think Japan is a lot more lenient on their drug testing policies.