Hairy Officers in Training

Tasha

Any thoughts of the Police Academy training K9's as officers?

If I was a dog, I would want to chase things and run in a big field.

I wouldn't want to have to be at risk at getting killed.

Personally I think it's animal cruelty.

I agree its cruel. Its a very demanding job and its a job that involves a lot of mind control through manipulation. Not good at all.

They have too have that strong bond. The dogs that fought for Mike Vick had that same strong bond...they'd die for him.

when i was little i had a friend whose both parents were cops and had a drug dog each. they were probably two of the happiest dogs i've ever met, they were healthy and blabla. they slept at home everyday and they went to work with their owners almost everyday. but i guess this could have been an exception of how things usually is.

just as a side note: in germany the cop dogs are acctually vegan (except for some vitamin d3 that's in their dog food). they are fed pitti boris dog food which is a vegetarian brand, pretty cool

Any thoughts of the Police Academy training K9's as officers?

If I was a dog, I would want to chase things and run in a big field.

I wouldn't want to have to be at risk at getting killed.

Personally I think it's animal cruelty.

I think that the logic is that using a dog can achieve results that a human-only force could not achieve, or could not achieve so rapidly, and therefore any cruelty to the dog, and any dog deaths, are seen as worthwhile sacrifices due to the number of lives saved in the process, or crimes prevented, drugs taken off the streets, criminals arrested etc.

However, I think it's fundamentally wrong to use the dogs, because they don't give their consent, and it's impossible to get consent from a dog. I don't think it's fair putting those animals in danger.

Horses that race are happy, many dogs that are dog fighters are most likely happy, most dogs that are used for breeding are probably happy. It doesn't make it right.

@potter. don't know if your reply was aimed at my comment but i never ever claimed it to be right, and i don't think that it is. it might not be as cruel but in principle this is no different from animal testing.

another thing i hate is when the police uses horses when people are rioting just to scare people off. those horses are put in a lot of danger and they are probably scared as hell the whole time.

However, I think it's fundamentally wrong to use the dogs, because they don't give their consent, and it's impossible to get consent from a dog. I don't think it's fair putting those animals in danger.

Bingo.

I grew up around police (my dad is a retired officer) and the concept of police dogs was totally normal for me. But I believe animals are not ours to use, so on that basis I am opposed to it now on principal. No matter how nicely they may be treated. I'm also opposed to the fact that dogs are bred specifically for this purpose, as I'm against human-induced animal breeding.

Yes, nice pic Johan. Looking ripped!

I do certainly disagree with with horse carriages and K9 units, but while we are at it, how about the topic of blind people's companion animals? This is enslaving the dog in a way and I am certainly against that, but it is hard to tell a blind person they cannot have one of these dogs to take them around.

I agree completely about dogs helping the blind. I do not like the way they are trained. At a mall that I used to go to in Delaware they always took dogs to train them. And they were completely ignored. You were not allowed to pet, or talk to them. I remember the lady training the dog was pretty nasty, and I felt very bad for the sweet animal that kept getting jerked around on his leash.

I do certainly disagree with with horse carriages and K9 units, but while we are at it, how about the topic of blind people's companion animals? This is enslaving the dog in a way and I am certainly against that, but it is hard to tell a blind person they cannot have one of these dogs to take them around.

I'm opposed to humans using animals period. It's nothing personal against any particular group. Humans are supposedly ingenuous and adaptable, I'm sure they can come up with something else that doesn't involve using animals.

@potter. don't know if your reply was aimed at my comment but i never ever claimed it to be right, and i don't think that it is. it might not be as cruel but in principle this is no different from animal testing.

another thing i hate is when the police uses horses when people are rioting just to scare people off. those horses are put in a lot of danger and they are probably scared as hell the whole time.

I know you weren't in support of it but saying the dogs are happy means little. They are put in danger...just like the horses. Hell...sometimes dogs are used to set off bombs.

I'm opposed to humans using animals period. It's nothing personal against any particular group. Humans are supposedly ingenuous and adaptable, I'm sure they can come up with something else that doesn't involve using animals.

Good point, I am sure they could also. I bet they could develop a way to have a machine voice guide them using sensors and GPS. It would probably be far superior to a dog's guidance anyway.