Dirty words at the gym

Emmybear

Today I took spin with a guy teacher.....it was weird...he cussed at us the whole time. It was in a funny way but he was a little abrasive...I loved his class...though...minus the f words and I am known to let cuss words fly but I usually try to keep it down at the gym...in public in general

what do you think..keep it clean at the gym??

Edited by Emmybear

I am a memeber at the YMCA, and if anyone that works there swears they'd be out of the gym in a minute. I know people swear all the time but isn't there a rule not to do it at work in front of customers, guests, clients, etc. I think someone should say something about it.

For an instructor to do so, I would definitely say that is inappropriate. For someone to let some fly while front squatting, that I have no problem with. I let them fly when I smash my finger between some weights at the gym, which happens on most days.

Yeah, I'm glad to hear it too!

And I don't mean to hijack the thread either...........I don't swear, except occasionally in the car to myself of when I bump into something.

It's just not me. I feel really really really weird if someone hears me swear. I know it's not that big of a deal, but I even get offended by Disney movies and the language they use.

I worked with children for 10 years and non-swearing just became part of who I am. Swear words are "often" (not always) used in negative expressions or situations and I only focus on positive things so naturally, I stay away from swearing.

This forum hasn't turned that negative frown upside down yet?

I know........I'm worse than Barney the Dinosaur when it comes to being positive....my bad.....or good.

At the gym in a group setting I don't think it is appropriate because the goal should be to make as many people as possible comfortable.

Yeah, personally I could do without swearing in the gym. But then again I am one who could do without it anywhere.

However having said that maybe some people are motivated by it. So far no one in this thread but I never would have thought being swore at could help anyone cook but it seems it seems to work on Hell's Kitchen.

I'm all for swearing, at the appropriate time and place, for the sake of fun, entertainment, and stress relief. I keep things fairly clean around people who I know don't like that or who I think might be offended, but around family and friends.. all bets are off!

The gym, during a spin class, hardly seems like the appropriate time or place for an F-bomb, though. It wouldn't bother me directly, but I'd feel uncomfortable knowing that others were being made uncomfortable by it.

I'm all for swearing, at the appropriate time and place, for the sake of fun, entertainment, and stress relief. I keep things fairly clean around people who I know don't like that or who I think might be offended, but around family and friends.. all bets are off!

The gym, during a spin class, hardly seems like the appropriate time or place for an F-bomb, though.

I definitely agree with it.

I also met some instructor that thought behaving like they were in the army gave great results, but most of the people didn't agree and didn't go to their classes anymore.

What did the other people that were with you at the class say?

I usually gauge the type of person I'm talking to before I really start swearing, and I'd have to know them pretty well to swear at them. Being the instructor in a class, it seems unlikely that he'd know with any certainty that nobody would be upset / offended, I think it's best not to swear heavily. I can maybe understand saying ass, crap, and maybe bullshit a few times or something, but heavier words seem very likely to upset some people, and it's easy to not say them.

Well..the other people in the class seemed to respond to the swearing and yell even louder...It was a college gym so most of the people in there are younger than me and it did not seem to affect anyone. I don't think anyone has complained because he has worked there for a few semesters. I know that they are not supposed to play unedited versions of songs at the gym but the instructors always do and no one ever says anything .....although the worst cuss word out of any teachers mouth I ever heard before him was A$$. I think there are more positive ways to motivate than swearing. Like I said I enjoyed the class, how hard he pushed us, and I don't wanna be the nerd that snitches on him. They are just words anyway.

Different people find varying things motivational. If he is motivating his class to spin harder, who cares what he says. People who don't like it can take/form another class.

I'm always amazed how uptight people are about language. Can anyone answer Aaron's question about how we arrived at this list of "bad" words and why are they bad? Personally, I just don't fucking care. Even my children use whatever words they want, any type of language or expression are allowed in our household.

No, I don't understand it, and who decides what words are swears and which are just words. What concerns me is hostility / rudeness, which can exist without swearing. To me, swearing itself is just like an exclamation, and could be replaced with another word of the same meaning. If someone interrupts me and says "shut up" I'd say that's just as potentially rude / hostile as someone saying "shut the fuck up". Similarly, if someone says "how have you been?" I think that's just as pleasant as "how the fuck have you been?"

However, I think people should be aware that swearing does offend some people, so I find it best to avoid it until I know them a bit better, since there is no actual need to swear. I feel more relaxed when I know someone doesn't mind me swearing, then I can be myself a bit more in how I express myself.

Similarly, if someone says "how have you been?" I think that's just as pleasant as "how the fuck have you been?"

Hehe, reminds me of my best friend when I was a teenager. He always greeted me with "oi oi oi, fuck you" using his best fake cockney accent. I can't imagine a warmer greeting coming from him.

However, I think people should be aware that swearing does offend some people, so I find it best to avoid it until I know them a bit better, since there is no actual need to swear. I feel more relaxed when I know someone doesn't mind me swearing, then I can be myself a bit more in how I express myself.

Agreed. Depending on the situation and the context, I may be more likely to get to know someone who is swearing, or I may just dismiss them entirely. Personally, I favor being more conservative until I get to know someone. Even though swearing isn't a regular part of my self expression, I doubt I would find much common ground with someone who is easily offended by language.

This forum hasn't turned that negative frown upside down yet?

I know........I'm worse than Barney the Dinosaur when it comes to being positive....my bad.....or good.

I am becoming a more positive person all the time. This forum has certainly had a hand in that.

I am not offended by swearing at all and I don't see why it is so frowned upon, but I agree that it should be kept to a minimum when you are around people who might find it offensive.

The spinning room has glass walls and takes place in front of the elliptical area where I work out. The room is small, over packed, the air is thick and still. People are pushing themselves very hard while some coach is screaming at them and they are pouring sweat. It looks like some group S&M thing