Best Plant Based Protein?

Pumpkin Seeds

An amino acid score of 136! Thats the highest I've seen for a plant based food. Pumpkin seeds were higher than eggs, beef, chicken, soy, and pretty much everything else high in protein that I looked at. If anyone finds a plant based food higher, post it. What a great macro nutrient profile too...

50% Carbs - 36% Fat - 15% Protein

I wonder who would be jumping on this if they made it into a fat free protein isolate powder?!

I've had some sitting in my fridge for months but haven't touched them, maybe they will be my secret muscle building weapon.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blend them up in a smoothie. I don't like eating roasted nuts/seeds but I don't like raw pumpkin seeds too much. Smoothie is a good way to mask it.

They are supposed to be good for testosterone or something as well, can't remember why.

Yes, pepitas rock. I used to buy these with various seeds/nuts/dried fruit from trader joe's, and make my own mixes.

I have a hard time controlling myself with these trail mixes. It's so easy to eat loads and loads of them. Also. the high calories, and fat scare me.

Pepitas are a great addition to home made hummus.

136 profile is amazing. The only thing higher that i know of is egg white which is like 146, but that's something you have to cook and you damage alot of the amino acids.

Does anyone know what the score is on hemp seeds?

Source: hemphasis.com

Nutritional Analysis of Hemp Seeds

Protein 22.5%

Carbohydrates 35.8%

Moisture 5.7%

Ash 5.9%

Calories 503 per 100g

Dietary fiber 35.1% (3.0% soluble)

Fat 30%

Essential Fatty Acid Profile

Omega-3 (Alpha Linolenic) 20%

Omega-6 (Linoleic) 57%

Omega-9 (Oleic) 12%

Stearic 2%

Palmitic 6%

Carotene (Vit A) 16,800 IU per pound

Thiamine (B1) .9mg/100g

Riboflavin (B2) 1.1mg/100g

Pyridoxine (B6) .3mg/100g

Niacin (B3) 2.5mg/100g

Vitamin C 1.4mg/100g

Vitamin D 100 IU/100g

Vitamin E 3 mg/100g

Source: Nutiva

Total Calories: 174

Calories From Fat: 127

Total Fat: 13.5g 21%

Saturated Fat: 1g 4%

Trans Fat: 0g

Omega-3 ALA: 3g

Omega-6 LA: 7.5g

Super Omega-3 SDA: .3g

Super Omega-6 GLA: .6g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium: 0mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates: 2g 1%

Dietary Fiber: 1g 5%

Sugars <1g

Protein: 11g 22%

Iron: 16%

Vitamin E: 21%

Phosphorus: 48%

Magnesium: 48%

Zinc: 23%

Edited by threeloaves

136 profile is amazing. The only thing higher that i know of is egg white which is like 146, but that's something you have to cook and you damage alot of the amino acids.

I have heard from several sources these figures. I don't think nutritiondata.com is using PDCAAS because they only say they take into account the amino acid profile, not the digestibility. These figures might not be all that helpful:

Protein Digestibility: 0.93

PDCAAS: 0.46

PER: 1.87

Pardon me for being dumb, but could someone explain this 'PDCAAS' and 'protein digestibility' business to me in layman's terms?

PDCAAS stands for, I think, Partially Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Score. It takes into account the amino acid score of a protein and how much of the protein is actually utilized by the body. This is done by examining feces I believe. Straight digestibility just refers to the percentage of the protein that is digested by the body.

There's something I don't understand about the amino scores for eggs on NutritionData.com...

First: I always knew that most of the proteins in egg were in the white, but it was an incomplete protein, while the yolk represent less than 1/6 of the proteins in the egg but it completes the amino acids of the white.

Also:

Egg white : 145

Yolk: 146

Whole: 136

How the hell could it be possible that the whole egg has inferior amino acids score than white or yolk separatly, if yolk is 146 and white is 145?

If we can know the amino acids score for hemp and quinoa, perhaps pumpkin seeds is gonna lose it's first place.

But it's weird, I thought peanuts, chlorella, spirulina, and even rice, had all the essential amino acids.

There's something I don't understand about the amino scores for eggs on NutritionData.com...

First: I always knew that most of the proteins in egg were in the white, but it was an incomplete protein, while the yolk represent less than 1/6 of the proteins in the egg but it completes the amino acids of the white.

Also:

Egg white : 145

Yolk: 146

Whole: 136

How the hell could it be possible that the whole egg has inferior amino acids score than white or yolk separatly, if yolk is 146 and white is 145?

If we can know the amino acids score for hemp and quinoa, perhaps pumpkin seeds is gonna lose it's first place.

But it's weird, I thought peanuts, chlorella, spirulina, and even rice, had all the essential amino acids.

Egg whites are a complete protein, most people consider it the perfect protein. I'm pretty sure the yoke was like 132 and the white was 146 and balanced out to like 136

Hemp is where it's at baby. All the EAAs, PLUS Edestin, an amino acid present only in hemp which is considered an integral part of DNA....making hemp the closest plant source to our own amino acid profile. Combine that with superior ease of digestibility, and the fact that hemp protein is raw, and you have a winner.

I have yet to find it from a scientific source, only from websites selling hemp or just general health websites. Here is a snippet anyway:

Out of the whole plant kingdom, hemp seed has the closest nutritional profile to the human plasma, and is the only plant that is made up mostly of the globulin protein Edestin, the backbone of our cells' DNA.

http://shesacancersurvivor.com/health/heal/feeding.html