THE VEGAN VACATION 2008 PROSPECTUS

Jessifly

Vegan Vacation Prospectus

Where and When

For 2008, Vegan Vacation will take place Saturday July 19th through Saturday July 26th.

There are two main parts to Vegan Vacation, 1st is the Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness forum member-only cabin trip from The afternoon of Saturday July 19th through the morning of Wednesday July 23rd.

Next is the Portland visit in which everyone in the community is welcome. This will be from The afternoon of Wednesday July 23rd through the Afternoon of Saturday July 26th.

Cabin

If you are attending the cabin portion, please plan to meet the group in Portland around noon on Saturday July 19th (exact time and place to be announced) for carpooling up to the cabin as parking will be limited.

Costs involved with the cabin portion are relatively inexpensive compared to a typical vacation. Basically you only pay for lodging (only $120 and up for all 4 nights!)

Kids are welcome to attend with parent for no additional charge.

About the cabin:

A smaller cabin with similar amenities has been reserved to replace the original cabin chosen due to the much smaller group size.

*Note: Reservations are now CLOSED. All beds have been reserved*

Approximately 8 meals (3 meals per day) for the cabin portion of Vegan Vacation will be provided through donations and fundraising efforts however please plan to bring or buy your own snacks and additional foods.

Transportation (gas/fuel, etc) will also be provided by fundraising efforts for the cabin portion.

So the only required cost of attending the cabin portion of 2008 Vegan Vacation is the lodging above. A NON-REFUNDABLE deposit of $120 will be due one month from today MAY 22ND for EVERYONE attending the cabin portion.

Rooms and bunks are available on a first come first serve basis, to reserve a room the FULL amount of the room/bed is due at the time of reservation (Reservations MUST be made and full amount paid before JUNE 15th as the total cost of the entire cabin will be due on this date). Simply send the payment using a credit card, bank account or e-check through www.Paypal.com to the email address ([email protected]) and along with the payment specify which room you are requesting.

If you are an individual who would like to reserve a double occupancy room you will need to pay for the FULL PRICE of the room or arrange your roommate BEFORE reserving the room. If you need to be placed with someone contact me by PM or email ([email protected]) and if there is another individual requesting a double occupancy room I can let you know.

If you want to reserve a bed or bunk for less than the full 4 nights (for example wanting a room for only 2 nights out of 4) Please contact me before making a reservation so that we can work out the details.

Portland

We will arrive back in Portland the afternoon of Wednesday July 23rd. The Portland portion of the vacation is open to everyone! The main highlight of this aspect of the vacation is the tour of Portland vegan business and hotspots! All of the activites are yet to be determined and finalized so please check back.

For those needing lodging, there will be lots of space offered up by Portland members if you don't mind finding a spot on a sofa/floor/futon/etc. Also there are a couple hostels, as well as the option of nearby hotels.

Because everyone from all communities are welcome to attend the events of this half of Vegan Vacation, meals will not be provided. You will be responsible for all of your own meals, snacks, and lodging costs. However we are currently working with area businesses and may have discounts and coupons available to Vegan Vacationers! We are striving to make this as affordable for everyone as possible!

Fundraising

There will be one fundraising requirement for ALL forum members attending the cabin portion of Vegan Vacation. It is very simple, you will be asked to contact just one business or company to sponsor Vegan Vacation. You will work directly with that business for donations for Vegan Vacation. It can be funds or products, services, gift cards/certificates, coupons, discounts. Donations may be used either for food/transportation costs or in a silent auction to raise funds for food and transportation. I have a drafted sample letter you may use and edit to fit. Also you are more than welcome to contact more than one business or company if you'd like, the minimum is one though. If you know a business or company that is not in the Portland area, for example requesting food samples or coupons from a vegan product, feel free to use that as your one company as well. Please contact me to be assigned a business to work with. You may choose your business if you'd like but please contact me first anyway so that we don't have multiple people contacting the same place. There is no minimum amount of contribution you are required to bring in, just that the effort is put forth and each person brings in something through donations. If you would like to attend the cabin portion but do not have the time or desire to do this fundraising project, it is asked that you make an individual monetary donation yourself of $100 to help pay for your food and transportation.

Additions and edits will be made to this prospectus as they become available.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments on anything!

Hope to see you all at Vegan Vacation 2008!

Edited by Jessifly

Thanks for all of your work Jessi!

I'm glad to see that kids are free with their care-givers - any age cap on that? We may make it up for a night or two but will not know until pretty close to the event so dont worry about saving space for us.

As for the Portland portion, I have been scouting out activities in/near town - anyone interested in a hike in Forest Park or swimming out on Sauvie Island somewhere? Any other suggestions for Portland activities?

Thanks for all of your work Jessi!

I'm glad to see that kids are free with their care-givers - any age cap on that? We may make it up for a night or two but will not know until pretty close to the event so dont worry about saving space for us.

As for the Portland portion, I have been scouting out activities in/near town - anyone interested in a hike in Forest Park or swimming out on Sauvie Island somewhere? Any other suggestions for Portland activities?

No age cap on the kids really, if they are old enough to attend without an adult then they should pay the $120+, but if they are not old enough and a parent is attending they are included in the parents paid amount.

Loveliberate, those ideas for the Portland portion sound great! Actually I am wondering if you would/could do the tour of Portland again? You are SO good at it I can't imagine anyone else to do it!

I'm wondering what gear we should bring. Obviously something to workout in, and something to swim in, if we go someplace with water. Is there anything else that we would definitely need, for either part of VV08? Besides the basics like clothes, and money.

I have a question. Say I can't make reservations in time for the cabin. If I make a reservation/get a room at a hotel would I be allowed into the cabin to meet all of you or would I be banned from there?( I know it's a silly question. I'm just not sure if the fee includes being allowed inside the cabin or just to sleep there )

I'm wondering what gear we should bring. Obviously something to workout in, and something to swim in, if we go someplace with water. Is there anything else that we would definitely need, for either part of VV08? Besides the basics like clothes, and money.

I can't think of anything in particular outside of what one would normally bring on a vacation. I suppose be prepared for warm weather and cool weather and possibly rainy weather, and maybe clothes to hike in (not any major hikes but there are a lot of trails near the cabin to explore!)

I have a question. Say I can't make reservations in time for the cabin. If I make a reservation/get a room at a hotel would I be allowed into the cabin to meet all of you or would I be banned from there?( I know it's a silly question. I'm just not sure if the fee includes being allowed inside the cabin or just to sleep there )

You would definitely be allowed in of course. The fee is for staying overnight. I would ask that you participate in the fundraising though if you plan to join us for meals.

I'll probably just sleep on the floor. I'm sure there is no need for a reservation for the floor since there should be plenty of floor space. As for food I'm going to bring some food along with me. Mostly just pre-wash them here and package them for easy use. Or maybe I'll just use my vacation time for a nice fast

I'll probably just sleep on the floor. I'm sure there is no need for a reservation for the floor since there should be plenty of floor space. As for food I'm going to bring some food along with me. Mostly just pre-wash them here and package them for easy use. Or maybe I'll just use my vacation time for a nice fast

Sleeping on the floor is still a charge of $30/night. I am needing to have the reservation deadline for everyone so that we meet the due dates for the deposit and entire amount of the cabin.

If we reserve a lovely floor arrangement do we pay when we get there or through Pay Pal?

Also the reason why I am worried about reserving right away is because what if I get a job and the schedule conflicts with the cabin portion. Then I'd be out about 150 or so( I think I remember hearing that it's non-refundable )

If we reserve a lovely floor arrangement do we pay when we get there or through Pay Pal?

Also the reason why I am worried about reserving right away is because what if I get a job and the schedule conflicts with the cabin portion. Then I'd be out about 150 or so( I think I remember hearing that it's non-refundable )

The deposit is the entire payment for camping on floor, so no, there will be no additional cost when you arrive besides the deposit made through paypal.

Say I reserve now and end up not being able to go to the Cabin portion. Would I be able to transfer that payment to the Portland portion?

Also is the reserve for the floor required as soon as possible or would I be able to pay when I get there?

Say I reserve now and end up not being able to go to the Cabin portion. Would I be able to transfer that payment to the Portland portion?

Also is the reserve for the floor required as soon as possible or would I be able to pay when I get there?

The cost of renting the cabin is what it is (a base rate + a per/person cost) and is non-refundable to me so therefore if people cannot make it I cannot refund. Unless we exceed the cost, but I can't guarantee that that will happen as I have priced everything as low as possible (it just barely meets the rental cost.)

All deposits are due May 22nd, at this time I cannot make any exceptions to that because the total deposit on the cabin is due (again unless of course we exceed the deposit price but again I can't guarantee that)

Next is the Portland visit in which everyone in the community is welcome. This will be from The afternoon of Wednesday July 22nd through the Afternoon of Saturday July 26th.

July 22 is a Tuesday... will this part of the event start on Tuesday the 22nd, or Wednesday the 23rd?

Todd and I are very seriously considering coming to Portland for the second part of VV08. However, we were wondering about who will be offering places to stay, etc. We don't really want to book $1,200-$1,500 in flights without having a fairly solid plan. Is there any possibility of having an official thread or something where that kind of stuff can be worked out?

I'll probably be paying that much to go to the Philippines next year Hopefully it won't be that but but I'm thinking it will be.

July 22 is a Tuesday... will this part of the event start on Tuesday the 22nd, or Wednesday the 23rd?

Todd and I are very seriously considering coming to Portland for the second part of VV08. However, we were wondering about who will be offering places to stay, etc. We don't really want to book $1,200-$1,500 in flights without having a fairly solid plan. Is there any possibility of having an official thread or something where that kind of stuff can be worked out?

Thanks for catching that, I corrected it... The Portland half will begin on Wed the 23rd in the afternoon.

I don't want to offer up anyone's place but we do have a lot of forum members in Portland that I think would be happy to have people stay. I know Rob and I will likely have many people staying at our place for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Next is the Portland visit in which everyone in the community is welcome. This will be from The afternoon of Wednesday July 22nd through the Afternoon of Saturday July 26th.

ugh I checked tonight and flights have gone UP in price. Cross your fingers that they'll go down again.

Well it isn't going to get cheaper because it's a new fuel surcharge they JUST added that's making it more expensive. BOOO!

We want to go to Vancouver after Portland. Does anyone have any advice on what the best way to get there is? By train it's really cheap, but like an eight hour commute. Flights are 4x as much, but the flight is only an hour.

Yeah!!! I'ts official I'm coming to Vegan Vacation 2008. I've made my deposit, and I'm going to get some passes from my brother, he works for Southwest airlines. So now all I have to do is save money for food, and entertainment. It's a good thing that I have the transportation taken care of, because I wouldn't have been able to come otherwise.