Jump to content

Jay

Members
  • Posts

    897
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jay

  1. Hey, did you get anything out of Bronco giving you the definition of "exploit"? Because I noticed you had no idea what the word even meant. Anyway to answer your question, perhaps you hadn't noticed by here on planet earth, women are routinely treated worse then men. They are treated like objects. They are "objectified". Their worth is often determined by the shape and size of their ass. As men are treated better than women, it of course makes sense to fix the biggest problems first. Maybe. Earlier you showed that you had no idea what all the fuss was about when you equated farty conservatives with being anti-sexist/anti-exploitation. Antisexist people are almost always the very liberal types that are "on the fence". You've seem to have misunderstood and equated people asserting "exploitation" with prudish religious conservative types. You couldn't be any farther off the mark. Ah but no answer may BE an answer, much like how PETA will launch demos when a company DOESN'T respond to them... Yes, but we are fellow vegans!!!! Hmmm, perhaps we should treat PETA the way they have been treating these other companies.... I am curious to know exactly what PETA did that caused you to go vegan? Was it that they made being vegan fun? How exactly is veganism fun for you thanks to PETA?
  2. Not that I know of. My mom is the only one relative (still alive) I have who knew him and she doesn't know much as he died when she was quite young. They did have a union though when he worked and they went on strike at least once that she remembers. Hate to say it but my relatives have really sucked when it comes to telling me about ancestors. Haven't seen these but I will. I've only seen Matewan I think when it was on IFC. It's never in any movie rental stores but thanks to netflix I finally saw it again last night. It was evening better than I remember it.
  3. Very impressive. What do you do for back John? Rows and dls? Any chinning stuff?
  4. Yep, quite a bit bigger then when I saw you in Nov 2004. What have you been doing lifting wise lately? Nothing for chest, right? Heavy overhead pressing about once a week? Then leg stuff/rows/strongman training right? If you haven't, you should update your WIP at veganbodybuilding.org.
  5. Got straps about 10 days ago so I could go longer on OAP workouts. First strap workout almost passed out on a front lever attempt. Little afraid to try them as hard now. Ran 5 miles in 49 minutes few days ago. Bodyweight (thanks to running) has gone up. 220 first thing in the morning and above 225 (with clothes on) by evening. Attempted an OAC while fresh yesterday. Usually I spin around until halfway between an OAC and OAP when attempting OACs (I don't spin on OAPs and that's why I usually just do them). By just touching the door so as to not spin around I got 2/3rds up on a OAC. But without touching the door I don't get very far at all. Have gotten slightly worse actually on OAPs thanks to weight gain.
  6. I don't have time to give my full suggestion right now.. or really reply to what was said... Basically... focus on the most thoughtful 10% of people. Try to get them to turn vegan. Once you have 10% vegan. Then the other 90% will very easily: 1. Know what the word means at least! 2. Know it's not bad for you health, know you can be strong 3. Factory farming, environmental concerns, etc. Once 10% are vegan, the other 90% will know these things simply by word of mouth. Getting that 10% can be done without worrying so much about breaking the MSM censorship. (Being on the far left politically I know all about MSM censorship. In complex political issues, there is no solution other than breaking this censorship. With veganism it's just not as important as it's just really not that complicated.) When instead you have Rodman posing nude, you are turning off that "thoughtful" 10%. I'm not trying to be elitist. I'm not saying forget the other 90%. I'm saying that veganism just hasn't gotten off the ground yet. (Although it seems to be slowly doing better.) I'm saying, at least at this point in time, money is being wasted trying to appeal to the people who are the most conformist and least likely to become vegan. In appealing to this "thoughtful" 10%, you can throw the sex stuff out the window. They don't want that. You can mostly quit worrying about breaking into the MSM news. A few adds and some quality material; movies, good music, etc is what is needed. You know, what percentage of vegans even became vegan because of PETA? Obviously some. But it doesn't seem like that many.... But then my experience is limited in this.
  7. OK so.... did you want me to say anything else in order for you to actually begin addressing? Can you point to anything from the "higher ups", some article online addressing these concerns already? If not, why have they not written something already considering how widespread this criticism (sexism) is of them? Is it not considered widespread to them? Do they never have anything to do with discussion boards? Do you personally see the relevance of me coming up to some lady who works for PETA and asking her to show me her tits? When the majority of campaigns (that some have seen) include naked ladies do you see why someone might come to the conclusion that the PETA lady just might be there to show me her tits? Do you see what's wrong with me asking a lady to show me her tits? Do you have any pictures of Ingrid naked? Would she be OK with appearing naked? I'm sorry if this comes across as confrontational. It's the nature of discussion boards where discussion would take forever if I cautiously proceeded a single question at a time. Perhaps a single link already exists where all my concerns are already addressed by PETA. If so, great. Link it and disregard my questions.
  8. I'm talking a single article attempting to respond to all the criticism they are getting concerning assertions that they are sexist. I don't think they've done even that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I really don't think it's asking much at all. And I think people donate because they are the most visible. I'm sure they could get more donations without the sexist stuff. They could still be just as visible without it. I'm fine with comparing meat eating to the Jewish Holocaust, slavery, etc... It was said that "Sex sells". Who becomes a vegan because sex sells? For notoriety there is plenty they can do other than show tits and ass that along with not being sexist would actually be relevant.
  9. loveliberate, 28 days later sounds like a pro-gun movie. And yeah, Howard Zinn and all that. (A People's History of the US). I added some of those movies to my netflix queue. raVen, yeah Chris Cooper is a really good actor. Really did a good George Bush. He was in Matewan as the union activist if I remember correctly... Grandfather died in 1964. I found some old pictures of him and got goosebumps because at first i thought it was me but they were old black and white photos... Gonna see Point of Order too eventually...
  10. Yep, but next time I see a women representing PETA, I'm going to say, "Hey you're from PETA? Cool! Let's see your tits! Come on baby! Oh, look at that ass! Come on now. Strip baby! Let's see what you've got...." Maybe that will at least eventually get some kind of response from PETA. Mabye they'll at least write an article or something online attempting to address all the criticism they are getting from vegans.... Something other than just ignoring or saying, thanks for your thoughts... and nothing else.
  11. I never heard that about "rednecks". Yes, it's in WV. Hits close to home as my grandfather was killed here in the mines. I've seen Salt of the Earth. Made by a bunch of blacklisted actors, etc during McCarthyism.
  12. I've seen some John Sayles movies that really weren't anything special. Before I had seen Men With Guns, Matewan and 8 Men Out. Matewan is a masterpiece and Men With Guns is pretty good also. Now with netflix I saw Silver City and The Sunshine State. They weren't anything special. Too many characters, too thinly developed, with plots that were kind of cold and a subpar soundtrack. Lots of political stuff to think about though, which is the one saving grace. Other than that some romance flicks that aren't worth mentioning..... old seasons of Kids in the Hall... Nothing really worth mentioning. I guess The Cube was pretty good. But not worth really writing about.
  13. Sensless, I'm really two weak for handstand presses but I try them occasionally. Thanks for the advice. Raven, OK thanks.
  14. I could always clean alot more than push press (wouldn't really call it a jerk). I'm just horrible at overhead pressing though. Really nice lifting Sensless.
  15. Is this true even when using a close underhand grip ? For me, yes.
  16. When I saw the thread topic I thought of asking (just to be funny, Haha) if they made you take your clothes off.... .... Man no offense but I have to give PETA the two thumbs down. I say that as someone who wishes that people just walked around naked and stuff. Still PETA is just ridiculous. I wonder if their organization has been infiltrated by some deep undercover meat industry agent.... Sorry for those unpositive words. I'm about done wasting my time even voicing my opinion on the issue. PETA has made it clear they have no interest in engaging all the people who feel this way.
  17. RS 4 is a good game. Glad you've been having fun.
  18. The thing is, there isn't some huge powerful industry pushing B12 supplementation. There's no patents. It doesn't even cost a penny a day. And the actual supplementation only takes about 30 seconds per week. So.... I really don't understand why fruitarians/raw vegans even bother to take the time to be against it.
  19. Pullups work the lats and back/biceps a little. Also hit the forearms a little.
  20. Once you really get into your routine (if you have any volume at all) pullups/chinups will not work the biceps hardly at all (contrary to the most popular current training lore). At that point it doesn't matter what day you do curls. In the beginning probably should do them on the same day. Doesn't matter on the running. Just get consistent with something. Optimal rest can be every other day or twice a week. I'd say the best range is somewhere in there except maybe legs and especially deadlifts may need more rest. It is definitely possible to hit a bodypart every other day, even if it's still sore from last time. It's just a matter of consistency and getting your body used to it. (Work into it slowly.) With less rest you'd eventually reach a point where there just won't be soreness. Only do it once a week and each time you'll probably get sore....
  21. Why would you think that? Most people eat meat.
  22. I'm not sure but actually eating cholesterol might be totally unnecessary. If you had 0 cholesterol in a blood test that'd probably be really bad as your body is supposed to produce some cholesterol on it's own. If your levels are OK then obviously your multivitamin, yeast, and fortified soy milk are enough. But that is supplementing... (Fortified foods and a multivitamin)
  23. I got the bloodwork done for I think 40 dollars on a Saturday morning at the local hospital. Just walked in and signed a paper and wait in line. Then come back the next day for the results. It might be worth it for other vegans to see if any of their local hospitals do this sort of thing. Every vegan I've heard has a cholesterol below 120. But I've only heard a very few vegans bothering to get their B12 levels checked. Probably a good thing to do. Enriched rice milk wasn't enough to keep mine up and some people here say they don't take any B12 at all....
  24. So after 27 months as a vegan at the age of 33 my cholesterol is 111. The "normal" range is 127 to 200. 111 is considered low but from what I've seen it's pretty normal for a vegan and not something to be worried about. I moved 3 months ago though and haven't taken my B12 liquid supplement during that time. The only B12 I've gotten the last 3 months is what's in rice milk. I'd estimate I'm getting maybe 40% the RDA the last three months. So I suspected my B12 level might be low and sure enough it was. 152 where the normal is 180 to 900. So I made sure to go get some liquid B12 supplement. I'll check again in a few months. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine then with taking some B12 liquid supplement like once or twice a week. Anyway after deciding I needed something heavier than chinups I had some trouble figuring out what to do. I tried a lot of different things and finally just decided to attempt unassisted one arm pullups. That and front lever attempts. Every other day 20 to 30 attempts total. I've improved an inch or so on OAPs and am getting pretty close on front levers. Still haven't settled on a pressing movement but think perhaps push presses with a close grip. (To save my left shoulder.) Also started running. First I did 7 or so runs every other day at the track consisting of 6 100 to 300 meter fast runs. But that was not fun and made my knee start hurting. So instead I've decided to go back to a very long run every 4 days. Did 25, 40 and now 60 minutes. Should get back up to 2 hours plus pretty quick. I really enjoy that and wish I hadn't quit back two years ago when I became vegan.
  25. So after 27 months as a vegan at the age of 33 my cholesterol is 111. The "normal" range is 127 to 200. 111 is considered low but from what I've seen it's pretty normal for a vegan and not something to be worried about. I moved 3 months ago though and haven't taken my B12 liquid supplement during that time. The only B12 I've gotten the last 3 months is what's in rice milk. I'd estimate I'm getting maybe 40% the RDA the last three months. So I suspected my B12 level might be low and sure enough it was. 152 where the normal is 180 to 900. So I made sure to go get some liquid B12 supplement. I'll check again in a few months. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine then with taking some B12 liquid supplement like once or twice a week.
×
×
  • Create New...