Sophisticated Seitan Cutlets

Adena

So last night I invented a recipe, born of hunger, and the desire to use up my homemade seitan sitting in the fridge. I was kind of just estimating and sprinkling herbs and spices on it as it cooked, so the measurements might not be exactly what you need.

First, I cut a chunk of seitan into three pieces, about chicken breast size. Then I put them in a skillet with a little olive oil. Next, I added some spices to the top of each chunk of setian. I turned them over and added some more spices. It was probably about 1/4 tsp of sage, 1/4 tsp rosemary, about 1/2-1 tsp each thyme, tarragon, and summer savory. Once they had simmered enough to dry out a little and brown on each side, I added a splash of mirin (the only all natural cooking wine I can find in my town) and let it cook off, then turned each chunk of seitan again and repeated the process.

It turned out SO FREAKIN' GOOD! This was just enough seitan for little ol' me for one meal, so you would want to increase the spices accordingly if you were cooking for several people.