22 year old Bad Ass Charlie, the cat

compassionategirl

"Twenty-two year old Bad Ass Charlie ."

I think that deserves a special thread all to itself, so I am going to start one on General Discussion with the above title.

22 is like, what, 154 in cat years!!!! This cat is an ancient bad ass

You're funny!

I bought Bad Charlie as a kitten in a pet store - before I was educated about pet stores. When I picked him out the clerk said, "I'm so glad you picked him. Some lady had him for 2 weeks & brought him back because he meows too much!"

He is the most vocal cat I've ever known! He meows, he yowls, he squaks. Once I was on the phone & the other person asked if someone was using a power tool in the room. He always been a real fiesty guy, hence the name, although he has mellowed lots in the past 5 years or so.

As for old age issues, he has a seriously bad heart murmur, but I think cuz he's so mellow it hasn't been an issue. He's also lost most of his hearing. We give him sub-Q (sub-cutaneous) fluids every third day & lots & lots of love & attention.

My suggestions for long lived cats:

>>At about 8 years old, put them on some kind of senior diet cat food - dry chow is best for their teeth.

>>Get their teeth checked out. If you can't brush their teeth (I've never been able to!) at least get some of that cat toothpaste in the malt flavor & swab some in their mouth with a q-tip. We lost a 14 year old cat cuz his teeth were so bad. The bacteria gets into their system & overcomes them.

>>At about 10-12 years old, get a blood panel done to check their kidney & liver functions. Do that once every 2 years or more if something shows up. At about 16 get a more extensive panel -- your vet should be able to tell you what kind.

>>Keep your kitties inside. It's safest for them. My cats go outside only when I am also outside.

I think the biggest factor for BC has been the sub-Q fluids. We do this at home & save a fortune. The fluids help to flush his system & help his kidneys out. I'm a little squemish about pricking him with the needle, but it is so good for him. I think he knows it too as he never resists.

Riley and Rambo are so fortunate that you rescued them! Now it's your turn! Post some photos!