What do I need to do to enter a contest?

I would like to know what I need to do to get to the next level.

Been lifting weights and bodybuilding for 24 years but I have never thought of competing till now.

How much larger do I need to be? I am 6'2 1/2" and 212 lbs.

I guess I just need some guidance on what my steps should be. I have an idea but want to make sure I am not missing anything.

This would be for an all-natural contest!

Edited by boardn10

• 2 weeks later...

please get some pics up in this thread. This isnt 1996 where you post "hey im 6'2 and 212 lbs how do I do such and such on my body...." without pics. I dont mean to sound douchey, but we have to know what youre working with.

DIET will bring out the 6-8pack and you must use weights to increase the size of your abs! Weighted crunches, situps, Hanging knee raises etc. The reason behind them not showing is prolly cause theyre not big enough and youre not lean enough.

Thanks for the info man! I know, I need to get a picture...I will! I have lost 5 pounds this last week so I have lost some size due to food allergies and avoiding some foods and lifting less weights due to food allergies. I have a long way to go.

Yes, I started doing weight abs work the last few weeks.

• 3 months later...

The thing is, the general appearance is going to vary greatly depending on whether the contests are drug-free, how large-scale they are, etc., so what you see from top-level amateur BB'ers won't be the same as what you'd see at a local show where they're lucky to get 3 people competing in each division.

Best thing I'd suggest is that you check to find info on any local or state-wide BB competitions that are coming up in your area - nothing is going to give you a better idea of what shape you need to get to than to see people on contest day. If you can find something entry-level on a small scale, you'll get the best idea of what you would be up against, vs. attending a show with pro-card potential where there will be some heavy hitters on stage with years of competition experience under their belts.\

Get out there if you can find anything in your area and see what it takes first-hand, you won't find a better way to know just what it will be like if you decide to compete yourself!

Great pioints on getting out there and witnessing some contests first hand. How tough is it to find entry-level contests on a small scale for natural bodybuilders. I have been natural since day one. I am also 41 years old so that comes into play.

This would be for an all-natural contest!

I've never competed in BB and have never actually even been to a contest, so I'm sure others who have more experience can help out. I'm assuming there are plenty of resources online that will compile listings of upcoming contests, that should definitely help out with finding something near you!