Post Op, Healing

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What did you make?
I made a super simple bean salad which is best served cold. Dark red kidney beans, fresh peas, corn, a touch of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, basil, cayenne and a bay leaf. The second dish was barley (again with the barley!) and peas. The spice combo on that one wasn't anything special. Just some peppercorn and rock salt.

Found out my work schedule for this week on SUN and was super happy. MON I went ahead and bummed around the house for most of the morning then got a wild hair up my ass. Tossed on a big old backpack with 2 gal of water and walked to the next town. It's a little over 16 miles one way and I took my time and enjoyed nature and the blissful sun! Sorry no pics, I just needed to get outta the house. The temp was just a bit over 34F with next to no wind. I however pack a bunch of vegan bars with me, which I know I shouldn't of eaten...but I've been doing so good on my oils and shakes that I deserve a little yum yum. TUE I pretty much napped and headed into work. Today I went into the gym early since I was out buying food for Mr. Short Legs as well as a new toy since his girlfriend came over and surgically removed all the stuffing, the squeaker, the left ear and the tail. I now am scared of her. Must keep one eye open when I sleep or I'll wake up missing my tail. Wait, did someone say tail? Only dogs have tails

Did a long leg session with shrugs thrown in there. I focused on supersetting unilateral movement on just about every exercise and every set. I've found that my left leg needs a little more of a workout. So what it wants, it'll get! Other than spotting a super ripped chick at the gym, nothing outta the ordinary. YB!

Tomorrow will probably be an extended back day with a focus on lats since I've gotten traps outta the way. I think I'll have more time to focus on that and lower back with my hardcore shrugs taken outta the mix. Also as a side note I've got some tendon inflammation on my injured fingers. All in they're holding up with all the stress I'm putting on them with the shrug and lat switch up on back day. It'll give them a bit of rest. I also think I'll be able to go strapless tomorrow since my grip won't be fatigued from traps and lower back work.

Anyway, need to scarf down this post workout meal, shower and run Mr. Short Legs around with his new toy. If only I could get him to pull a sled...then I'll have a muscle dog! lol

Is your dog really named Mr Short Legs? That's so cute.
Nope my pop's dog is Pretty Boy. I either call him PB or Mr. Short Legs. He responses more to the tone of my voice when calling his name. If I have to call more than twice then it's definitely, Pretty Boy. The funny thing is I walk him with voice commands and he's attentive. When my pop's walks him or takes him outside he barks at every little thing and strays rather far from the old man. I on the other hand run a tight ship and won't have any of that. ALPHA DOG!! RUFF RUFF!

Long back session with focus on lats. Started off with free weights for lower back then headed upstairs for lat work soon as it started to get crowded. I think I am gonna have to carry a watch or a stop watch with me to the gym. The gym got a new coat of interior paint and removed one of the clocks that I use to time my breaks. Well that clock didn't get placed back on the wall. So I'm forced to walk a ways away (I never used that word combo before. Quite interesting 'a ways away'.) in order to check the time. Not that I think anyone will swoop in and use the machine. I am just concerned about offering the invitation. I guess another reason to stay away from machines, huh? <--for all you free weight purist out there.

Anywho gonna be a bum for the rest of the day since yesterday I ran around and took care of errands. Pray I don't get any wild hairs or I'll end up swimming to Russia. The cold swim might do wonders for my inflammation.

No idea what the deal is. I routinely get dressed to head out to the gym and either feel like a complete fat ass or like some skinny twig. I headed into the gym this morning feeling like the later. Which I guess was good motivation to turn my gym intensity up a notch. Today's target was chest and delts which I ended up supersetting each exercise while alternating muscle groups. I took little to no breaks between exercises and still was able to keep the weight rather high. At the end of the long gym session I just happened to look at myself in the mirror... Yes I normally look in the mirror, but I'm looking at the range of motion of the exercise or the particular muscle group, so that I'm reminded to fully and intently contract the target muscle group. However, this time I actually looked at myself and was like...damn I'm big. Delts all demon-isk. Chest utterly chiseled. So yeah I have no idea. One day I feel like a squirt the others I feel like a superhero.

Tomorrow I'm gonna head in to work on bis and tris. I'd normally do it at the house, but I wanna go heavy on triceps. I need huge horseshoes!!

Oops almost forgot, I had a large hoodie on while working out and I couldn't pull the sleeves anywhere near over my forearms. So they've gotta be big, I just don't see them as ripped as others. I need those forearms that most mechanics walk around with. That cut forearm look...

Just got back from an hour of bi and tri work. I'm not sure if this is new or something I haven't noticed. I've found that, especially for triceps, if I do a warm up set at what I think is near 75% of max that the next set I can go heavier than usual. I normally just pickup what I think is near max and hit it, but when I went for it I was like, "Dis ain't shit!" So I didn't count the set and stepped it up. Who knows, maybe it was time to test my max? Maybe I needed the warm up? Anyway that's something I'll be mindful of.

I'd normally do a cook fest around this time, especially since I'm running low on pre- and post- workout meals. However tomorrow is Passover/Easter Sunday. There's this get together with my parents, my brother and his kids. I figured when I go I'll just bring my ingredients and cook my stuff there. That way I'll ward off the urge to eat socially as well as involve my nieces in some vegan cooking. Who knows I might whisk them off to the grocery store and show them around the produce section, bring back a bounty and prepare something special for them.

Great work. I actually wanted to read something like this right before I head off to the gym

Thanks for the words of motivation Local Brada

Np, glad to fuel someone's gym session!
Hey, hope you're having fun cooking with the girls. Kids that have vegans in their lives are so lucky.
Yeah I had a blast today. Nothing is better than spending time with family and loved ones.

Was gonna take today off and rest since no work, so I skipped meal one and went back to sleep. Started the morning with meal two. I didn't overeat, but for some reason I had it in my head that I didn't deserve to eat those oats unless I was planning on lifting. So I headed into the gym and went nutso! I started off with insane shrugs then did a complete chest routine. Made it out of the gym a little after 11a and got the call to cover someone's shift at work. So what should of been a lazy beach bum day (yeah I know...no beach) is going to turn into "get out there and do the damn thing' day.

Also I am gonna run down to that gym between midtown and downtown before work and see what the fees are as well as how heavy their frees go up too. Also if they have a hack squat or a leg press machine. The gym I'm at now is starting to annoy me with people hanging around blocking the freeweights, hanging out on the stairs or just not respecting your workout. Again it is probably my fault since this is an Athletic Club and not your traditional gym.

You're a one man terror squad.

Woot this morning was awesome. Yesterday I signed up at the new 24 hr hardcore gym and ended my stay at the other place. I walked into the new joint looking to do legs, but of course there are a ton of goodies that had me excited as to how I was going to proceed with my routine. First off can you say, "100lb plates"! YB! Also they have 150lb dumbs! Shrugs are gonna be stepped up another level next week! Also they have a ton of plated lever machines. That's what I spent most of the time using. I started off with 200lb quad extensions on the plated lever machine; hit that 3x8. Then went over to the seated ham curls and went up to number 15...no idea how much weight that is, maybe someone can answer that. Hit that one 3x8. Then ran over to this calf machine that took me a bit to adjust and went 310lbs on the calf raises. Of course 3x8. Now that I was warmed up I ran over to the leg press. The cool thing is they have a leg press, a hack squat (thank you, Lord) and a squat leg press (I think that's what it said on it). The squat leg press was easier for me to get into the position that I wanted, since I did a plateless test run to make sure I had the right angle as well as able to lock and unlock it. So I went and loaded 800lbs on it (4-100lb plates on each side) and pushed it out of the gates. It felt good. Then I proceeded to lower it as deep as I could of while having a close foot/leg placement and let me tell you...heaven. My baggy shorts fell into my crotch and I could see my quads engaged and I was even more motivated to press that pussy ass weight up! YB. Went ahead and did 3x8. After that I attacked hams again on this machine that had something to do with the knee, knee raises or knee curls or something. Again a plated lever machine, so I just grabbed a single 45lb plate and did each leg. Again with the 3x8. Then like the heavens had parted I spotted a plated lever toe raise machine! YB. Went ahead and finished off the morning with calf raises on that machine. Started my first set with 200 lbs, then went with 250lbs, then attempted a go at 290lbs. That last attempt I got maybe 2 good ones in and my form started to fail. So I went back down to 250lbs and did a burn out at maybe 9 or 10 reps.

Yeah...I walked out of the place feeling like a beast. There were folks there and they were lifting heavy and not once made eye contact with me. TY, people! There was this female providing personal training who must of been under 5% bf. I walked up to her on my way out and shot her a, "you're under 5%?" and she confirmed with a, "Yup, 4.3%". So I shot her a wink and headed on out of the place. All in all this place has a lot of toys and...so far, folks that probably won't bother me. I attempted to spot out equipment for tomorrow's back day, but I didn't see anything in particular that I want to use. So I'm probably gonna stick with dumbs and lat cable work. If I do however see something in the corner of my eye, I might give it a try. Oh snap that rhymes!

Had a great workout this morning. What I ended up doing is skipping meal one and eating 2 cups of oats for meal two. I was able to woof that down while my stomach was growling. WOOF WOOF! I was anticipating the trip to the gym and got there about 15 mins earlier than I should of, after eating a meal larger than normal. Luckily I didn't experience any stomach issues. I did however feel like it took me longer to get my belt on, but that could of been in my head.

I attacked the freeweights and started with alternating one armed bent over rows (105lbs). Proceeded with barbell bent over rows (140lbs). Worked on close grip and wide grip lat pull downs (180lbs) while laying slightly back so that I could feel target the inner upper back. I want to note that I felt like a short man this morning. The seat on this lat pull down (old school thing not the named brand ones they had over in this other corner) was rather low. I found myself having to go lighter than normal and really being careful to make sure I could sit down into the locked seat from a standing position. I'm sure I will get use to this, but it's new to me. Continued with closed grip and wide grip lat pull downs (180lbs) while staying as straight up and down as possible. Finally polished off the workout with cable rows (160lb, 170lbs, 180lbs) and let me tell you the 2 cups of oats paid off. I was able to increase the weight each set and never missed a beat. I could of probably went and did a fourth set and even higher weight, but I wanted to get some stretching in. So I asked the gal at the front desk if it was acceptable for me to stretch in the cardio room and on her approval I stretched it all out!!

I have a feeling that later in the week probably on a SAT or SUN I am going to do some cardio. Especially since weight in is approaching and it will most likely weigh on my mind that I ate those 2 cups of oats and skipped meal one. Perhaps it won't matter, but my sanity will be intact knowing that I got some cardio time.

Oh almost forgot, I normally don't post how much weight I push or pull, but since it's a new gym, new equipment and a modified routine...I figured it best to post it so I don't cheapen myself by going lighter on uncharted territory.

Woke up THU morning rearing to head into the gym, but my shins felt odd. The only way I can express the feeling is that they felt heavy and thick. Not sure what that translates too, but it wasn't a bad or good feeling. I figure it was due to the modified calf exercises I did earlier in the week. What I ended up doing is bumming around the house and staying off my feet. I made sure to drink a bunch of tea and water.

However this morning I was on a mission to hit bi/tri. I went in and didn't do anything abnormally heavy. If anything I went a little lighter on the last set of the last exercise of the morning, concentration curls. I didn't feel that the session was really intense. I had trouble finding the proper plates to toss on the ez-curl bar, after completing the first set with these ridiculously sized 25lb plates. They were the same size as the 45lb ones and I don't use those since they end up hitting me on the delts. I ended up locating some small 10lb and 5lbs and added them to the bar. Of all places they were hiding on the bench press.

Tonight is work and I don't think I'm going to get a delt session in this week. To be honest, I'm not too broken up about it. If the thought lingers around tomorrow, I might do it before my cardio session.

Just a reminder that SUN is weight in. I normally weigh myself around 10p, so I might do it SAT night...I'll see how it goes. I don't think I look any different. However I do see an improvement in vascularity, especially in the forearms.

Got up this AM and ate and dressed up for cardio at the gym. I even brought my spendy designer label shoes that I use to sport for bball. I arrive at the guy and to my amazement...SAT must be cardio day Tons of folks walking, running and riding it out. No sweat I'm flexible, so I went and hit delts. Oh yes, sweet sexy delts. Started off with a bunch of dumbs then noticed that my right shoulder was popping and creaking a bunch. I paid attention to it and went 5lbs lighter on the right than I did on the left. Of course I felt like a lame ass...but an uninjured lame ass nonetheless. All of a sudden out the corner of my eye (yeah I know, it always happens that way), I spot some machines that allow each arm to track differently. So I completed the rest of my delt duty on those machines.

Tonight I'm gonna do cardio here at the house. The snow is off the ground, but it's sorta soggy. Not muddy, but mushy and damp. So no running around outside until that clears up. Again gonna cardio SUN.

Last weigh in FEB 13

Weight: 200.4lbs @ 17.5% (35.07 lbs fat)

Today's weigh in:

196.8lbs @ 15.2% (29.9 lbs fat)

Here's the update. I did 2 hours of cardio on SAT and this morning I did another 2 hours and lost alot of water I'd suspect. So I am not too bummed out about being under 200lbs. I do feel that this week that I was overly anxious to get the best results possible. I am not sure if I should be in that mindset. So I am going to seriously contemplate not setting a target goal. I feel that I'm doing fine with just focusing on making every gym visit the best possible one, making every meal count, making every nap and sleep mark, etc.

More importantly, I just read some article talking about how the particular scale I've been using gives incorrect bf% reading for people who body build. I'm not saying that I am anywhere near single digit bf%, but the article was talking about how water held in the muscle is counted as fat so the reading can be off by huge margins. A bodybuilder with striated muscles was getting a 13% reading on the exact model and brand scale I use. And to be honest I've historically been getting low body water saturation level readings on this thing since day one. Which has caused me to adjust my water intake and electrolyte levels. So I'm permanently shelving this scale, if anything I'll grab some calipers and instruct a family member on how to get a reading. Not that I'm interested in going through all that hoop-la, but it's something to entertain if I am that concerned about it.

Most importantly, I feel good. I look in the mirror and don't see huge changes, but I suspect the changes are there, especially compare to where I was at the beginning of this journey. And to be honest, I'm fairly new to being at this level in my physic. I also realize that I should not rush any results and should be looking at long term gains. Which I am proud to have taken my first step towards with a 3 month outlook.

Now the task at hand is to look out even further, but to achieve it by being concerned about making everyday count. LOL I'm starting to sound like a recovering addict. Realistically this process is akin to food/poor lifestyle addiction/recovery.

So to summarize,

I am happy with my progress to date.

I will continue moving forward.

I will do so by making every day count.

I will make every gym visit count and

I will eat right every meal.

I will NOT set unrealistic expectation.

I will NOT be overly concerned with total body weight and

I will NOT be overly concerned with total body fat percentage.

To reiterate to myself, I am in uncharted waters when it comes to being at this level in my physic and am unsure as to what I can achieve. Setting a goal that could possible be unrealistic in the time frame that I deem is NOT wise. At this point in the game I will continue on the path ahead and ALLOW whatever changes that are developing to occur in their own time.

Here's the update. I did 2 hours of cardio on SAT and this morning I did another 2 hours and lost alot of water I'd suspect. So I am not too bummed out about being under 200lbs. I do feel that this week that I was overly anxious to get the best results possible. I am not sure if I should be in that mindset. So I am going to seriously contemplate not setting a target goal. I feel that I'm doing fine with just focusing on making every gym visit the best possible one, making every meal count, making every nap and sleep mark, etc.

Going goaless can be kind of a big deal after having concrete targets for a while. You're pretty dedicated, you are an absolute killer... i think you burned off those oats you wrote about the other day... you were so on it. but i wonder, if you're moving forward without a concrete target, how will things change? it seems like you're moving into a lifestyle and away from a transformation process.

Most importantly, I feel good.
scandalous

I look in the mirror and don't see huge changes, but I suspect the changes are there, especially compare to where I was at the beginning of this journey. And to be honest, I'm fairly new to being at this level in my physic. I also realize that I should not rush any results and should be looking at long term gains. Which I am proud to have taken my first step towards with a 3 month outlook.
I know you know this, but just a reminder... change happens quickly at the beginning of weight loss/training, you're still moving ahead, but your body's doing it in less large ways.. I kind of subscribe to the school of thought that weight or fitness plateaus can be a very good thing... it gives the organism a chance to catch up with itself and integrate the new changes into itself as permanent by default. I don't think you're plateauing, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if you were, especially in your case, because you're so committed.

Realistically this process is akin to food/poor lifestyle addiction/recovery.
awesome insight
To reiterate to myself, I am in uncharted waters when it comes to being at this level in my physic and am unsure as to what I can achieve. Setting a goal that could possible be unrealistic in the time frame that I deem is NOT wise. At this point in the game I will continue on the path ahead and ALLOW whatever changes that are developing to occur in their own time.
I think you should remain flexible about integrating set goals into this process. What if you looked at things in a few weeks, specifically to reassess your need for an attainable, relatively short term target or two?

<3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXW5-JaSP98

I appreciate you going bullet by bullet and pointing out a few things. I am going to think about them during this morning's cardio and absorb them.

The issue that I'm facing now isn't one of plateau since I am making my marks. It isn't even an issue of not loosing the fat, since that's showing on the scale, comparatively. Now that I found out that expensive thing is a piece of shit! The issue that I've come to identify is I'm too self-critical when it comes to what I look like and how I think I should look. Better yet put, my perception of myself is distorted. For instance I look in the mirror and don't see what I feel is a proper reflection of my dedication in both the dieting and the workout I've committed too. Yet I've heard comments from friends an co-workers that I look big or I look strong. But I hear from family that I look skinny and don't eat anything but expensive powders. Which I won't even bother defending myself since I know that isn't true. The issue, which is my issue, is I don't see it. Most likely it's because I'm with myself every second and see the intermediate steps. While others see me once every few weeks and see more dramatic changes.

I am aware that this issue isn't something that I alone am experiencing. I am probably just more vocal about it and I make no apologies for speaking my mind. I just think at this point I need to focus on not so much the end results, but the daily routine that is obviously working. I've also found that I'm quick to ditch my regiment if I feel I'm not getting to the goal as quickly as I deem. To avoid that I've got to constantly remind myself that staying the course doesn't mean constantly adjusting the steering wheel. That I must have confidence that the path I'm on is correct. Especially since I'm eating healthy, working out, obtaining results and not harming others or myself during the process.

Ok that's my morning rant...on an empty stomach. Need to do the oats thing and prep for the gym.

Just got back from the morning routine. Didn't go heavy and concentrated on each and every squeeze and dropped the weight after the last set for burnouts (4 sets total). My right shoulder was giving me a bit of trouble, so I figured this was the right way not to aggravate it, especially since I want to go big on shrugs this week. This gym has up to 150lb dumbs and I want to work them with straps first. Then work towards getting them done without straps. Also I spotted one of those deep curved bars that you can place under a bench or seat. So I've already got plans on doing seated bar shrugs. YB!! Can't wait for back day.

Hadn't seen your journal in a little while. Incredible commitment, Bra. Your lifestyle change is remarkable. Glad to see you taking advantage of your genetics! Please remember to prioritize pursuit of your holistic health. More muscle is coming!

Trotted over to the gym and hit legs. I loaded up big daddy weight on that new leg press machine I found last week and I found it difficult to go deep. So I jumped off the thing and thought, "I need water or something." So I take a swig and noticed...the seat isn't adjusted right...duh! After the adjustment I was set and pushed out 3 sets, of course I didn't count the first one. Then moved over to rotary calf and went 310, 350, then the stack. Finally polished it off with something like 100lb burn out, focusing on squeeze and holds. Can you say "da burn"? Later moved over to quad extensions on a plated level machine and went big. Thank you for those 100lb plates or I wouldn't be able to stack them on the rather short knob. Moved over to seated ham curls and was able to go higher than I did last week. I found out how to adjust the padding, since I followed some old school cat who knew how to work the thing. Then was planning on hitting squats, but everything was in use, so I did toe raises at 190 just to keep those calves pumped. I should of probably played around with the glut machines, but I was running low on time and wanted to get some deep squats in. Polished off the morning with single plate ass to the grass squats 4 sets with only 30sec rest. My heart rate was up and I was loving it. Stretched for about 10 mins then headed back to the house.

I wore underarmor for my legs and found that I stunk more than usual. I'm not sure I'll do that again. Not that I'm offended by others smells, even though I do notice it. I just don't want to be "that guy". And no, cologne if out of the question...that's how the ladies find you