Robert Cheeke's Journal - 3 contests in 4 weeks!

Hey bruddah, hang in there. I think we are all feeling this the same way. Oh yeah, I checked calorie king and an apple only has 14.5g carbs. meaning you might be able to eat a little bit more yo. Good luck on your comp in a few days. Call me so we can talk sometime, not necess about the comp, but just boost each others morale.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I found this advice while lurking on BB.com:

Murali Biglee wrote:

"have a high sugar and high fat meal an hour before pre judging - it actually helps you bring out the hidden vascularity(it enhances the vascularity)

i rely on chocolates .. I take 2 chocolates before pumping up and sip honey while pumping and another chocolate before hitting the stage...

Other than this i absolutely rely on complex dry carbs for carbing up

but exeriment it to your body and if you have a gut feeling that it wont work for you dont try it...

after pumpin up check out your body - if you feel that you have filled out completely, dont hog on chocolates any more.. if you feel you can fill out better - have one more chocolate before hitting the stage and you will fill out as you go through the mandatories...

that is a 60g chocolate i mean - so it should be 2 oz..

I compete at 80 kg bodyweight...

So always experiment it and then in 20 mins check out your self in mirror... Cos simple sugars actually helps you fill out faster...

I am an endomorph so i carb load only for 12 hours....

And one more thing - it is always better to go flat rather than getting spilt over....."

Very informative on pre contest tanning:

thread by Sporto, giving his recommendation on proper tanning:

"In this thread, I am outlining the method that has been passed down to me from other great bodybuilders who ALWAYS have top notch color at their shows. When I used this method, I too received nothing but compliments on how good my color was. So here it is...

*This method will actually work just fine without a base tan or even without any coats of Pro Tan

*Two or three lighter coats, IMO, is better than one or two heavier coats

*Shower and shave the night before

*Once you put it on - let it dry. It will still be a little wet for a good 15-20 minutes after you apply it. I stood in front of a fan and it worked nicely to help dry it.

Now for the method:

Initially, it is ok to rub it a little bit to get started, but then you need to transition to the "beat it in method" before it dries. Just use an open palm and sort of slap it in. Make sure that the slapping hand does not have a lot of extra prodcut on it or you will make uneven marks that then require even more slapping. Too much rubbing/spreading will result in an uneven coat so resist the urge to do that. Like waxing a car, do a small area, finish it, then move to a new area. Do not try to apply the product to a large area all at once. Allow 15-30 minutes to do this so that you do not have to rush. Practice on a small area the week before so that you don't do this for the first time at the venue. But that's really the most effective way to get the product deep into the pores of the skin, so it looks even and won't smear everywhere. Again, open hand palm and smack it in. If you are doing it correctly, it should sting a little. The skin absorbs it so much better and it turns out very nice.

When you are ready to take it off - here is a trick. Buy a large cheap bottle of baby oil. Bring along a few small throw away towels. Rub the baby oil on heavy and let it soak in. (Stand on an old throw away towel as you may drip) Go back and rub it again. You will see the product dissolving with the oil. Take the towel and wipe off the color. Go back a second time if necessary. Turn the towel frequently to a new clean section. This will take 90% of the color off before you get in the shower and wash off the rest. If you do this in about 30 minutes you can be 95% tanner free, but there will be a little residual red on your skin. Do not put on your best light colored clothing afterwards or it may be stained forever. I bring brown clothes and brown socks to wear for the first day afterward. It is also normal for your joints (elbows, ankles, etc) to hang on to the color more than other areas.

For the face and hands, what worked really well for me was a blend of lotion and Dream Tan. Just put a little lotion in your hand, then Dream Tan, then mik them together and apply the same way (except smack much lighter lol). This gave my face a nice even blend...wasn't too dark and wasn't too light.

*If you do the clean-up at the host hotel, clean up your mess in the bathroom shower afterward. If you tick off the hotel management the next year the promoter may have a hard time finding a host hotel/venue.

*Same thing with sleeping on thier sheets. Be courteous and bring an old sheet to lay over the good ones so that you don't leave the bedding ruined when you leave.

*Also, buy one extra container. It will keep until the next year if you seal it up, and it is always better to have extra then to run short.

*Bring some wet wipes to wipe off the parts of the interior of your car that you will touch and get tanner on, especially if you have a light colored interior. It is also a good idea to sit on a large towel to prevent most accidental contact.

I really like Dream Tan #2. I especially like the fact that I don't have to put it on until the morning of the show (when I put on my first coat in the early AM) and that an hour after I get back to my room after the evening show I am all cleaned up."

Thanks man...at the airport now......I'm also on Bodybuilding.com, in fact posted nearly 20 times so far

Just trying to figure things out surrounded by many thousands of competitive bodybuilders, so it's a great place to be!

I'll look this over soon......

I do sugar boosts, etc. the day of contest, before pre-comp..I may do chocolates, dates, etc.

I'm on my 5th day in a row of around 75g carbs a day....I will load up on them a bit in Chicago tonight and hope to load up in Chicago the following night and then I'll continue to load up Friday when I get home the night before contest.

Then I'll infuse myself with sugar, etc.

I doubt it will have much effect on my AZ contest prep.....I need to spike levels every once in a while anyway, so this weekend should be perfect. I'm also recovering, haven't trained in a week, which I know sucks, but saw the doctor again yesterday about my back....gotta keep taking it easy, walking slowly carrying bags in airport.

Did some blood tests yesterday as well, blood pressure, etc. I'm a little on the high stress high anxiety side....anyone would have guessed that ?

hahah

anyway, thanks man, wish you were competing in OR too, but didn't even know contest aawould take place and is a very small one, like 12 athletes total, all categories, both genders combined! Very small! And just found out on Mon that is was taking place for sure and not cancelled.

But see you in AZ and my mother, sister, brother are coming so you'll chill with my fam, etc. Will be back to training by then, do photo shoots for DVD posters, calendars, promos, etc.

We will rock the desert!

YB

Thanks!

I've been up for 24 hours....don't ask....life is busy..started my day in Chicago, then over to Salt Lake then to Portland, had a very long day in Portland but also very productive. It is 3AM now and I'll be up at 7:15 to head over to get drug tested and then get on stage.

Yeah Buddy!

We'll let you all know how it goes and will post photos/videos soon.

Thanks!

Just got home at 1AM. Today was an incredible day for so many reasons.

Thank you sooooooooooo much to those of you who came out to the show. I am a wonderful time competing today and came home with 4 awards, and was probably runner up or close to it for "best poser" award too, which would have been quite the handful of hardware.

I'm very pleased with how everything went and I'm extremely proud of Lean and Green and so thankful and grateful for bvp663 for his work on this project.

So many others to thank as well, including the great forum members who came out to support us in person.

More updates tomorrow. I look ridiculous with my tan and need to shower before bed.

2 more weeks to go to the next competition.

Yeah Buddy!

Yeah, it was a lot of fun....I'll share more later. Just so busy. I returned to the gym today for 90 minutes of cardio (still can't do weights because of my back injury....will see the chiropractor for the 4th time this week).

Then I had a photo shoot for HELD Vegan Belts in Portland, then just worked all day long. But I'll provide updates soon...back to the gym again tomorrow, lots more work, shipping things out that I'm late on, etc.

Yeah Buddy!

Looking forward to training all week with Lean and Green as we prepare for AZ with Octo!

Thanks, it will be a lot of fun!

I spent over 2 hours in the gym doing cardio today....working on getting leaner. I wasn't able to train for the final 8 days leading up to the show this past weekend because of serious back problems, but it is getting better, I've seen a chiropractor 3 times and will go back again later this week and I'm on the mend. Right now, still no weights so only cardio. I'm sticking to low carbs, high protein, high fat, and high amounts of cardio for the next 11 days.

I'm super busy so I apologize for the lack of updates in my journal. I am just extremely busy. I was in 9 states over the past 3 weeks, I'm vigorously working away at fundraising for my documentary, especially in these final crucial couple of weeks. Still working to afford hotel, rental van, etc. in AZ, but we'll get there, we always do. In general, have been having fun and working hard.

I did a photo shoot for a vegan belt company the day after my competition. Here are a few shots, mostly goofing around after the shoot was over:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs008.snc1/2857_1118937380972_1453142323_30302967_2658278_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs008.snc1/2857_1119420873059_1453142323_30304109_2507945_n.jpg

OK, time to work on a newsletter, and do all kinds of other work before bed.

Please check out www.veganproteins.com - they are NOW selling VEGA!!!

I met with Don Robinson on Saturday and he was great. He says that there will be someone filming a documentary about their father at the competition, so 2 documentaries in the same show is pretty cool. I tried to pick his brain but he is keeping quiet about the expected turnout. Did you look into sponsoring the show? It's cheaper to get tickets for friends and family by sponsoring than to just buy them, and you get an ad in the program? Great pics from your show, you both look phenomenal.