Week 18

Bodyweight=169.8lbs

Workout #49

Mon 5th October 2009

Bench Press 5@40kg/45kg/50kg, 5/4/3/3/3@55kg

Inverted Rows (elevated) 11/10/7

Dips 5/5/4

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (5kg counterweight)

Obviously no Squats because of my knees just now, it's depressing (cause I can't really do cardio just now either).

Bench press I should really have went for 52.5kg instead, but I done okay considering.

Started doing dips today, found a solution. My amp cabinet has a big handle at the back, sat this beside my power rack and used one of the safety bars as the other pole.

Didn't eat much yesterday hence the low bodyweight =[

I just want to get started my new diet, need stuff to arrive

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really need to get a pair of running shoes, I've been using astro-turf trainers that I've had since school to jog - I don't think they're doing me any favours.

Definitely invest in a good pair of running shoes. They can make all the difference in the world. Is there a running store near you where they can watch you run and recommend a shoe for you? That helped me a lot...I was getting knee pain when I first started jogging. With the right shoes it pretty much went away.

Is there a running store near you where they can watch you run and recommend a shoe for you? That helped me a lot...I was getting knee pain when I first started jogging. With the right shoes it pretty much went away.

There's none local really, I ordered a pair from an online vegan store. If they don't feel right I'll send them back, but after reading this that might have been a stupid choice I made

Yesterday I had a friend round who wanted a workout so I was messing about doing some stuff, some light bench press, done some inverted rows, a set of pull-ups.

I figured I would avoid hurting my knees with some really light deadlifts, done 15x65kg, then 7x65kg or something. Then done a few push-ups.

Of course I've woke up today and my left knee actually feels worse (my right knee seems fine which is good), I'm just an idiot.

I don't know what to do today, I'd usually do Overhead Press but don't want to risk it with my knees. I briefly done pull-ups yesterday so that'd effect chins/pull-ups today. Squats/deadlift out the question really. Then prone bridge which I guess I could do lol...

Maybe I should just rest up till my knees are better I dunno.

On the good side, my food's coming today so I can get the Thrive Diet going

Workout #50

Wed 7th October 2009

Seated Dumbbell Press (for shoulders) 9/10@9kg (each shoulder), 8@10kg (each shoulder)

Pull-ups 6/3/2 (then 10 negatives)

Prone Bridge 3x60s

What a terrible way to mark my 50th workout! Didn't want to do any standing exercises with my knee condition, so blew the dust off my dumbbells and done seated shoulder presses. Just alternated shoulders each rep instead of pressing both at once. I actually had a bit of fun doing these, exercise didn't last that long though.

PB on pull-ups but that's just because I'm getting lighter. Prob why I managed the prone bridges as well.

Food should be arriving shortly. To be honest since I knew I was going to try reducing bodyfat (2-3 weeks ago), I've been eating less before getting my diet sorted out. Lost the motivation to keep eating as much, but it wasn't working because I was only just getting enough protein if I ate ALL the meals for the day (I wouldn't be so concerned except the protein quality of the foods isn't great - only nuts/soy).

I'm feeling kinda weird at the moment..I want to cut down my bodyfat and get rid of my stomach, but at the same time I'm missing the size in my arms and stuff (even if it was fat). Just gotta stick it out and see what happens.

Workout #51

Fri 9th October 2009

Bench Press 5@40kg/47.5kg, 5/5/5/4/[email protected]

Inverted Rows 15/9/9

Dips 7/8/7

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (3.75kg counterweight)

Kinda disapointed with bench press, reduced the weight and still couldn't get it. Prob cause I was messing about on Tuesday as well. Still I worked REALLY hard at the last rep of each set so it wasn't a total loss.

I'm happy with inverted rows, not because the numbers (that's only because i'm losing weight), but because I feel I'm getting a better workout. Biceps were pumping.

Dips were better, last time was my first, and was spending too much time in the down position making sure my elbows/shoulders were in line. Both bars are sitting at a slightly different height, so I've been swapping sides each set. I don't think this should affect things too much.

Reverse crunch was good! End of last set BURNED Prob stick with this weight again next time then reduce it again.

Started Thrive Diet! Going well so far, the biggest problem I have is making things on time and actually having the food there. It's an insane amount of veg you go through! Since I don't drive I can't just pop out and get something if it's missing. Still it's only been a few days, I'll get used to it after a month or so.

My knees are in pretty shit condition just now. I haven't had much of a chance to rest them, and I've got a weekend of work ahead of me which won't help. From monday I'm gonna have to rest as much as possible till it heals.

Today I was thinking about maybe switching up my workouts a bit. Maybe instead of 3 workouts/week, try working out every 2nd day (which is close to what I'm doing just now), and do a light workout/heavy workout. On the light workout do supersets to really burn out. The reason being my workouts just now just seem to lack intensity. It's prob a lot to do with not being able to Squat, and also the fact I've hit a plateau on a bunch of exercises. Need to change it up to keep the work rate up!

Week 19

Bodyweight=167.2lbs

Workout #52

Mon 12th October 2009

Superset (shoulders)

Overhead Press (35kg) 9/8/6

Front Raise (6.5kg each DB) 6/5/3

Side Raise (6.5kg each DB) 6/5/2

Superset (biceps)

Chin-ups 9/5/5

Concentration curls 6@10kg/6@9kg/5@9kg

Prone Bridge 40s/30s/47s

Had to change it up a bit. Sick of not being able to do lower body stuff with my crappy knee, and bored of doing 3 or 4 exercises per workout. For the meantime I'm going to go between 2 'heavy' workout A&B, then 2 doing this. I don't know why I chose concentration curls, will replace them for barbell curls next time.

Workout #53

Wed 14th October 2009

Superset (Chest)

Dips 11/7/5

Dumbbell Fly (6.5kg first set, then 9kg each DB) 20/11/10

Bench Press 40kg 8/6/6

Inverted Rows 12/9/7

Superset (Abs)

Reverse Crunch 3.75kg counter 12/8/9

Bicycles 10/7/7

Wasn't use to the flyes so had no idea how much weight to use. Abs burned after that - bicycles kill me!

There's not much to say at the moment. Losing weight but still worried incase I wither away to nothing. Knees are healing but not back to normal yet. No deadlifts is making me depressed.

My diet looks a bit like this at the moment -

Buckwheat pancakes/Soy milk

Protein smoothie (chocolate banana)

Almond burger/pesto/salad

Protein smoothie (blueberry, or a recovery drink)

Cucumber salad (with nuts/seeds/yeast) + tomato basil dressing

Something with tofu/legumes

It certainly is a high maintenance diet. Needs planning (making sure not going to run out of anything...because half is ordered online, and i don't have a car or live near a supermarket). Needs money (o_o). Needs a lot of time spent in the kitchen making stuff. I'll prob change my diet a good bit once I've gave getting a 6-pack a go (after i've cut BF% right back). And next time I give bulking a go, I'll definitely do it slower so I don't add such a ridiculous amount of fat compared to muscle.

Anyways on Friday I'll be hitting a normal workout B (without lower body), so Overhead Press/Pull-ups/Prone Bridge. And on Sunday I'll be working out since I'm working out EVERY second day (not leaving extra day at weekend).

Looks like you're getting some good workouts. Sucks about the knee and not being able to deadlift though. I just got into that. I'm with you on trying to get a six pack. I just have to stick with it and do more cardio.

Sweet Propagandhi shirt, by the way.

Looks like you're getting some good workouts. Sucks about the knee and not being able to deadlift though. I just got into that. I'm with you on trying to get a six pack. I just have to stick with it and do more cardio.

Sweet Propagandhi shirt, by the way.

Cheers! Missing out on the Squats too, but I like deadlifts better haha. My knee feels good today, so I'm gonna start some light Squats after this weekend (or maybe Sunday night if it survives a weekend on my feet at work). Hopefully can start some cardio again, if I ever receive the running shoes I ordered - can do stuff round the house till then.

And yeah it rocks! Going to see Propagandhi/Strike Anywhere (same gig) in December in Edinburgh. On 2 separate occasions I went to see them down in London over the last year (once by plane, other was an 8 hour bus journey haha). So this is great! Both them in Scotland on same night! My head's just gonna explode.

Workout #54

Fri 16th October 2009

Overhead Press [email protected], [email protected], 5/5/5/5/[email protected]

Pull-ups 7/5/3 (then 10 negatives)

Prone Bridge 75s/60s/60s

I got an absolute terrible sleep last night and got a long weekend ahead of me, but fortunately had a decent wee workout.

37.5kg felt really light today! Even done an extra rep in the last set. Feel my technique's getting better...however I always do, then it goes to crap when I hit a heavy weight.

Not surprised by the increase in pull-ups, getting lighter.

Prone Bridge's were higher than they've been in a while. Gonna have to do something to make me less stable.

Knee's healing up nicely, not 100% yet but should be cool if I survive this weekend.

Took a couple of pics yesterday for the back competition. Don't have a hope in hell but it's just for fun. Those are old posters, honest.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/chewybaws/IMG00106-20091015-1532.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/chewybaws/IMG00116-20091015-1931.jpg

Week 20

Bodyweight=165.2lbs

Workout #55

Mon 19th October 2009

Squats 3x8@35kg (deload)

Bench Press 5@40kg/45kg, 5x5@50kg

Inverted Rows (elevated) 16/9/9

Dips 10/8/9

Reverse Crunch 12/12/10 (2.5kg counterweight)

Was supposed to workout last night, but since thursday night I've had poor amounts of sleep. Finished work at 7pm last night, was in bed by 9.

Haven't felt anything in my knee for a couple of days so decided to test the water with light squats. Despite the puny weight it felt good to be back.

I've lost strength in my bench press I think. I struggled with every set (even warmups were dodgy), apart from the last 2 which is weird. Kinda got my act together. I didn't even write deload, because that's really all I can manage just now.

Bodyweight exercises improving as I'm still getting lighter.

Reverse crunch nearly managed 2.5kg counter which is cool.

Getting used to the new diet now. Getting quicker at making stuff. Gonna try making a pizza this week

Edited by chewybaws

Workout #56

Wed 21st October 2009

Squats 3x8@40kg (deload)

Overhead Press 7@30kg, 5@35kg, 5/5/5/4/1@40kg

Deadlift 5@65kg/75kg/85kg, 3@95kg, 2@105kg, 1@115kg/120kg/125kg

Pull-ups 4/1/2

Prone Bridge 3x60s

Overhead press was pretty good, I attempted the 5th rep on the 4th set and was trembling in the air for ages, just couldn't lock out!

Deadlift was awesome 10kg more than my last best. Need to work on getting the reps up next time.

I had no strength after that, so pull-ups were a bit of a waste. I done the prone bridges with my feet on a duvet still in the packet to make them a bit less stable.

Making a curried chickpea pizza just now

Cheers man!

Workout #57

Fri 23rd October 2009

Squats 3x8@45kg

Bench Press 5@35kg/40kg/45kg, [email protected]

Superset (biceps)

Chin-ups 7/5/3

Inverted Rows (elevated) 7/4/3

Barbell Curls 8/8/5

Dips 6/7/7

With bench press was working on keeping my shoulders pinned back, seems to work well. On the last rep of the last set my left shoulder came right off the bench though, was really struggling to get that one up.

In the superset I elevated my feet further (nearly same height as bar) for inverted rows and it was hard! Wasn't getting much range of motion. Was fun doing some barbell curls even though my arms were dead by this point lol. Was expecting to get more chins, don't think I've quite recovered from wednesday's workout lol.

Dips were a bit crap. I had to stop the first set cause I was swinging all over the shop. Got it under control for the last 2 sets.

Can't believe it's Friday again! Another week away. Will superset abs tomorrow night. Think I'll go between reverse crunches, bicycles, and hanging knee raises if I can manage them. Got some straps now.

You have straps? Sweet! I actually have some that I never use. Now I have to start.

Sweet back pictures by the way man. Looking pretty SWOL.

Cheers man, both pics really show what effect lighting can have. They were taken the same day.

Been having a hell of a day today. Stayed at girlfriends last night don't think I got a great sleep. This afternoon started off with Squats, then started Overhead Press and I had NO strength whatsoever. Got pissed and decided to wait till tonight. Had another shot there. Exact same as this afternoon. Failed miserably at some pull-ups too.

Gonna get a good sleep and hit it hard tomorrow instead.

Week 21

Bodyweight=165lbs

Workout #58

Tue 27th October 2009

Squats 3x8@55kg (deload)

Overhead Press 5@30kg/35kg, 5/5/5/5/4@40kg

Deadlift 5@75kg/85kg, 3@95kg

1st set of Squats were a bit stiff, need to warm up next time. Was quite surprised @OHP considering I tried and failed on Monday. Just couldn't get that last rep up! Tried some pull-ups again but same case as Monday. Deadlifts just weren't happening. Cut it short.

Wed 28th October 2009

Cardio 30mins (2x 15m with 5 min rest between)

Just various exercises to keep myself going, jogging on the spot inbetween. Burpees (wow these are harder than I thought they'd be!), jumping jacks. Done a few chins/pull-ups and some bicycles.

Done some barbell curls at night. Few at 30kg, then dropped to 25kg done a couple of sets.

Workout #59

Thu 29th October 2009

Squats 8@45kg, 3x8@60kg (deload)

Bench Press 5@45kg/50kg, 5/3@55kg

Inverted Rows (elevated) 12/7/7

Dips 10/9/7

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (2.5kg counterweight)

No problems with the Squats. Again the first set my left leg felt a bit stiff afterwards, but was fine with work weight. Maybe a lighter warmup set next time.

Bench press was FAIL. Warmup sets were really easy, thought I had a chance for the 55kg. Towards the end of set 1 I noticed my right arm was going up way quicker than my left. Thought when I went for 2nd set it'd fix itself. On the last rep it got worse, right arm was about locked out while the left was only half up. Recently I've noticed a kinda pain round about my left shoulder blade/lat. Prob fix itself.

For inverted rows I've started using a higher platform for my legs, so a bit more elevated now. My left bicep's always been smaller than my right. I done a drop set of assisted concentration curls for my left arm after the last set of inverted rows. I'll continue this till they even out.

Managed the crunches, will try 1.25kg next time.

Workout #60

Sat 31st October 2009

Squats 5@45kg, [email protected]

Overhead Press [email protected], [email protected]

Chin-ups 6/4

Today my body told me I needed a rest! Squats were easy, but with overhead press my core was just so weak, I couldn't tighten at all. Abs too tired. Just called it a day.

Prob take it light until wednesday. Cardio and just some random junk.

My running shoes I ordered were too tight, had to post them back. Post office is on strike over here just now so no idea when I'll be getting the bigger size. I can just burpee till then.

Haha so do I!

Right, no more f'ing about. From now till xmas I'm gonna hammer the exercises (got about 7 weeks). The last couple of weeks when I've hit a bump I've just tried to leave it till the next day or something, when really I should've just continued and dealt with a bad workout. Need to stick to the plan, stronglifts Mon/Wed/Fri, cardio Tue/Thu.

Only thing I may mess about with is extra biceps + abs. And may start doing calf raises as well.

And gonna start keeping a food log, cause at least 1 or 2 days a week I'm slacking off.

Tue 3rd November 2009

Grub

- Buckwheat pancakes (+agave syrup) and soy milk

- Chocolate banana smoothie (1 scoop vega)

- Cucumber Dill Salad

- Curried tofu (over taco shells, huge serving - full pack tofu, loads of chickpea flour)

- Energy bar

- Blueberry antioxidant smoothie (1 scoop vega)

In my first ever tub of Vega (bought it off a friend cheap who had only used a scoop), there's still half of it left - and it's been open for a good while now. So just want to finish it before it goes moldy So, started using it again today - will use till it's finished (usually make a scoop up of half hemp and half pea protein for smoothies).

Tomorrow will hit squats/bench press/inverted rows/dips/reverse crunch

Week 22

Workout #61

Wed 4th November 2009

Squats 8@45kg, 3x8@65kg

Bench Press 5@35kg/45kg, 5/4/3/2/2@55kg

Inverted rows (elevated) 12/9/6

Dips 11/9/7

Reverse Crunch 12/12/8 (1.25kg counterweight)

Forgot to weigh myself. For Squats I used my big 25kg plates (bar's 15kg), and I swear they're heavier than my crappy plates. Got through them, maybe gonna stick at this weight for just one more workout to make sure my legs don't do something lol.

Will go for 55.2kg again on BP next time. At least I didn't have problems with my left shoulder coming up this time.

After the elevated rows I done a drop set of concentration curls on my left arm again. Super pump haha.

I finally made a new dipping solution, I will post pictures later.

I'll get the RC next time, was tough!