Autism/Aspergers

Ryofire

I'm really curious to see iof anyone knows about Autism on this forum? As you may or may not know it is a complex neurological disorder of unknown cause.

I have lived with Aspergers Syndrome my whole life and have not known about it until my 21st birthday. Aspergers is a mild form of Aspergers and the notion of Aspergers did not become known until 1994. I don't deny that I have it, but at the same time I don't let it keep me from doing my every day thing. Also as I mentioned to some of you before, it does not go away, and in the words iof Robert Cutler, "I want you to know we love, have emotions and even cry." Also "If you don't understand a child with autism, call someone with autism in. We live autism everyday."

Basically it's not something you can't negotiate with and it's not something you can reason with neither. Sometimes it's a living hell, other times it's not. But for those of you who have been telling me to "grow a pair" and "stop using Aspergers as a crutch," you should be ashamed of yourselves. I know that if any of you, you know who you are, had Aspergers or Autism you would be crying your eyes out. It's one thing to sympathize and understand, but can you actually empathize? Meaning do you know what it's like to have sensory overload? Do you know what it's like to struggle throughout high school without naturally having knowledge of interpersonal communication like other people who are not on the spectrum?

Even if any of you have children, friends, family, domestic partners, etc with autism and aspergers you still are clueless. You meet one person with autism, you meet one person with autism.

And as the man says in this video says the real question is not, do you know what it's like to be the parent of a child with autism? The real question is do you know what it's like to be an autistic child:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlGozkw6PU

For those of you who don't know anything about Aspergers Syndrome here's what I feel is a great article about some basic information of Aspergers Syndrome. http://aane.org/about_asperger_syndrome/what_is_asperger_syndrome.html

I have some experience with people who have aspergers. A guy in my elementary class had it and my sisters friends brother too. Seems like something that can be "expressed" in various ways. I don't know much about it so thanks for the article.

But does this really belong in the "health and nutrtion programs" section?

There are some nutrition related studies done on people with autism/aspergers but not much unfortunately. I actually just got home from a small presentation by a nutritionist who did her graduation work (don't know the correct translation) on different neurological disorders and nutrition but it hasn't been published yet. If that's what you want this thread to be about it's in the right place but otherwise a moderator should move it.

I'm finishing up my Ph.D. in psychology right now. Autism spectrum disorders are not my specialty by any means, but I've had several classes that discuss research in this area. Other than that, I had a job one summer working at a group home for adults with cognitive disabilities and there were a few residents with very, very severe autism. Nothing like Asperger's.

Interesting video, thanks.

I'm finishing up my Ph.D. in psychology right now. Autism spectrum disorders are not my specialty by any means, but I've had several classes that discuss research in this area. Other than that, I had a job one summer working at a group home for adults with cognitive disabilities and there were a few residents with very, very severe autism. Nothing like Asperger's.

Interesting video, thanks.

Yea, no problem. Mine's a more high functioning autism. It makes it harder because other people can not actually see what's wrong with me because it's not as noticable.

Hey Ryofire...

I've worked with a couple of people who had Aspergers, it is definitely a high functioning type of Autism.

Checkout the Singer LadyHawke, she has Aspergers.

Not only that, but check out Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Albert Einstein, Ludwig von Beethoven, and even Socrates.

Of course they are only speculated to have Aspergers.

Checkout the Singer LadyHawke, she has Aspergers.

This explains SO MUCH about her behavior in concert!

Yeah it sure does...

I saw her a couple of weeks ago, absolutely awesome in concert,

She is so shy and almost timid on stage. She couldn't believe so many people had come to see her! She was just blown away...