confusion - calories or carbs/fats/protein

So I've always been taught, that basically the only thing that matters when trying to lose weight (as in losing fat) is that your calorie intake is below what you burn throught the day.

However I've also heard that it's about what you eat.. How much fat/protein/carbs you eat..

It's confusing to me. Are both theories correct, or is the whole system so complex that I can't be put that easily..

Does anybody know more about it and is willing to share their knowledge with me?

Calories are what matters, not the macronutrient breakdown. There are a lot of quacks out there trying to claim a so called "metabolic advantage" for low carb diets (and some for low fat). But they are stupid and doesn't know how to read scientific studies properly.

However protein is sort of an exception because it counts as 4,1 kcal but when you use if for energy you actually get a fair bit less (maybe around 3 kcal) and it has been proposed to lower the calorie count for protein. But the way we count today, given that protein intake and calorie intake is constant it does not matter if you eat the rest of your calories from only fat or only carbs or a mix. You will lose the same amount of bodyfat. On the low carb you would lose a bit more weight due to glycogen depletion and the water that goes with it, but that's not somethin to strive for.