Anyone trying to Gain weight with IBS?

Hey everyone --

I'm having a very hard time trying to pack in the calories since I technically have IBS. It hasn't been diagnosed, but I've done the whole mainstream medical thing and that's what they would've diagnosed me with if I kept going back.

Admittedly, I haven't had any success trying to figure out what it causing problems for my own body, so (in retrospect) trying to gain weight by eating more was a stupid idea, since I get constipated just about all the time.

Anyway, I've been eating every 2.5-3 hours, about 5-600 calories. Mostly fruits, vegetables, nuts. I don't eat meat very often, I don't eat any dairy, and I only drink water & tea. The past days I've been dead solid bloated. So bloated I have a hard time falling asleep at time. It's bloating that never ever goes away, even after a bowel movement, and it doesn't give me any gas. It's just perpetually annoying.

I figured I'd ask to see if anyone accommodated for digestive issues + was still able to eat more and gain weight.

Or, for that matter, if anyone was able to fix their IBS at all -- I suppose if i can fix it, then I can keep those specific dietary recommendations and go ahead to eat more.

Cheers,

Alexander

HERE I AM!! Hahahaha!

Ok, so it sounds like you have IBS-C.. Which, lucky for you, so do I, and lucky for us, it's the best kind to have. IBS-D is much much worse from what I hear. Anyways..

Diet: You need to write down the foods that bother you and try to avoid them. Every patient is different so go through this checklist first: Citrus fruits (the acid bothers many people), Raw veggies (tougher to digest than cooked veggies), coniferous veggies (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower), chocolate, alcohol, anything containing gluten, soy products, coffee, carbonated beverages,beans, nuts and seeds.

For people with IBS-C it's recommended to take a daily fibre supplement. I use Metamucil. You can get it in wafer form, or powdered form. I take the powdered form myself. It's cheaper, and well, I drink lots of water anyhow. I personally like the flavour of it, although most people disagree with me! Haha! You have to bolt it back so that it doesn't get all slimy at the bottom of the glass. Also, I pretty much eat the same thing every single day. I have a list of "safe" foods that I eat such as oatmeal, bananas, cereal, spinach etc. However, this list will vary from person to person.

I have found that eating small, frequent meals is the way to go. If I eat a big meal, I just get bloated and uncomfortable. Also, I would strongly suggest taking omega 3 supplements. You can get flaxseed or hempseed oil, or eat walnuts (which may or may not bother you). I eat salmon, so that's how I get mine. Obviously, not vegan.. Which is why I didn't suggest it lol! It's also the reason I don't post here much

Anyways, my IBS has vastly improved with just knowing what bugs me and what doesn't, and by getting my omega 3s.. I drink water all day long too which I noticed you are already doing. That's good!

I should also mention that the worst thing for IBS is STRESS!! The best thing: Exercise!

Hope I was of some help