Introduction

Grizz95

Hello All,

A question about how to handle my concern about vegan protein and iron consumption led me to register for the forum. So probably not a bad thing.

I've been lifting for almost 30 years. I began in high school with a set of freeweights and a bench. I later added a really bad mail order squat rack and happily put cracks in the plaster of my childhood home ceiling from dropping weights for a few years before joining my first gym. After many memberships at many gyms in many cities over the years, I resolved to never again be a gym member and set up a home gym about 10 years ago. I like minimalist and it works great.

I became vegetarian probably 18 years ago after beginning to understand what animals go through in the process of turning animals into food products. I didn't become vegan until much later. And I've been vegan off and on, although always at least vegetarian, since. Although I much prefer to be vegan. I don't believe in the concept of "humanely raising" animals for food products as I don't believe it's right to slaughter animals for food regardless of how they're raised.

My dietary question focuses on how to avoid excessive iron consumption while getting enough protein for growth on a vegan diet. Any ideas on how to avoid too much iron? Thanks in advance for any insights other vegan lifters may have on this topic!

Best,

G95

First and foremost Grizz95, welcome to the forum! . This is an awesome place with tons of resources.

I loved your story. Glad to hear you are getting more into training.

To answer our question as long as you are getting iron from whole foods than our body will take what it needs from the vitamin and mineral complex and discard the rest.

It is when you over supplement with iron in synthetic form that you can run into trouble. Doesn't sound like that is your case.

In reference to protein there are oodles of ways to take in any amount you require for your needs and/or wants. Any ratio of macros can be veganized

Nuts beans sprouts

Seitan tofu tempeh

Pea, rice, hemp, spirulina, soy etc etc in the supplement dept.

Wrote an article here explaining in more detail: http://veganproteins.com/where-do-vegans-get-protein.html

Catch ya on the forum friend.