Banana Bread

cubby2112

A vegan banana bread recipe. It is very soft. Healthy substitutions can be added where you wish, it is a very flexible recipe. I usually just make it nice and unhealthy so I can feed it to non-vegans and show them how tasty vegan food can be. One of the best versions I made used 1 cup of vanilla soy ice cream with a light vanilla frosting on top. Another really good one, I used pecans for the nuts.

1/2 cup vegetable shortening (non-hydrogenated or whatever you wish)

1 cup sugar or equivalent

2 egg equivalent of replacer

3 large mashed bananas

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups flour

1/2 cup nuts, raisins, dried blueberries, whatever you want

OR/AND 1 cup vanilla non-dairty ice cream (or another flavor that sounds tasty). If the ice cream is used, another ½ cup of flour will be needed, as well as a larger pan than the 9x5x3.

A few shakes of cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Oil a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan or 9x13, or whatever you want, just know that the cooking time and temp is for the former.

Using an electric mixer, cream the shortening and sugar. With the mixer running on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time. Add the bananas and mix well. Add the baking soda, salt, flour, nuts, vanilla and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.

Pour the dough into the prepared pan and bake about one hour or until the center is brown and set (a not terribly gooey knife or toothpick comes out).