Contest Training Journal for markc7 and WendyRC

You need the carbs for running.

Protein of course is needed for everyone. However, high protein is great for repairing and building muscle. I have built muscle much, much, faster raising my protein intake. I generally have protein at every meal, 5-6 meals per day which includes 3 protein shakes per day, 140-150g (I'm currently 127lbs). But I do very little cardio and am not in training for running. I'm training to compete in the Figure division. So that being said I would worry too much about raising your protein intake too much, unless you decide you want to build muscle. However, I would encourage a protein shake immediately after your workouts on your lifting days.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy and I just got back from a 22km run. It's been snowing all morning, and it was still coming down during the run, but the pathways were clear and the footing was good. I felt great, and Wendy had to keep holding me back from running faster. I always get like this when I'm tapering before a race.

I did a short but fairly intense core and upper body workout this morning. I took very short breaks between each set, and did most of the exercises in suppersets. Felt good. Now I've got to start resting up for the weekend. I'll be living vicariously through other people's workouts, so I look forward to reading everyone else's posts.

You need the carbs for running.

Protein of course is needed for everyone. However, high protein is great for repairing and building muscle. I have built muscle much, much, faster raising my protein intake. I generally have protein at every meal, 5-6 meals per day which includes 3 protein shakes per day, 140-150g (I'm currently 127lbs). But I do very little cardio and am not in training for running. I'm training to compete in the Figure division. So that being said I would worry too much about raising your protein intake too much, unless you decide you want to build muscle. However, I would encourage a protein shake immediately after your workouts on your lifting days.

Thanks for this info

Hey everyone, check this out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek114.htm

Every week bodybuilding.com presents a "Topic of the Week" for members to answer. The best response becomes an article on the main website, and the winner gets 75$ in store credit. Some guy named markc7 won this week, for a topic on vegetarian diets!

Congrats to markc7, he did a great job! I'm pretty sure someone by the name of SeaSiren gave him reps for a post he did a few days ago.

Hey everyone, check this out: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek114.htm

Every week bodybuilding.com presents a "Topic of the Week" for members to answer. The best response becomes an article on the main website, and the winner gets 75$ in store credit. Some guy named markc7 won this week, for a topic on vegetarian diets!

I didn't know your are also a really smart guy with rad writing skills !! I'll bet a bunch of people try eating veg as a result!

I didn't know you are also a really smart guy with rad writing skills !! I'll bet a bunch of people try eating veg as a result!

I didn't know your are also a really smart guy with rad writing skills !! I'll bet a bunch of people try eating veg as a result!

Thanks SeaSiren and Bunnylalu. The best part of it is that I have recieved a couple of emails and pm's from bodybuilders, asking for more information and advice on veganism!

Prediction time! This weekend I'll be running my first race of the year, the Around the Bay 30km in Hamilton Ontario. It's the oldest road race in North America (a couple years older than the Boston Marathon). This will be my fifth time running it. My times in previous years were:

2003: 2:51

2004: 2:39

2005: 3:37

2006: 2:45 (Helped my uncle move his house the day before )

This year my training has been going quite well, and I'm very well rested this week. My dream goal would be to go under 2:30, but I'm not sure if that's in the cards this year. I think I'm capable of beating my best time, so I'm going to shoot for 2:35 (5:10/km). Given the course profile, I'll try to do the flat first 20k in under 1:40, then expect to slow down some on the last 10km where it gets very hilly. If I'm able to hold the pace longer or speed up at the very end, then that's just a bonus.

Wendy is running as well, although she has not been training as consistently as in past years. But this race is always a good time no matter how fast you run, so we're both looking forward to it.

I had a very good race. I finished within about 30 seconds of my PR, but gave it all I had and have no regrets. My actual time was 2:37:41, gun time was 2:38:37. Placed 1361/4368 overall, 77/145 in my age category. My splits were: 51:47 for 10K, 1:16:33 for 15K, and 1:42:30 for 20K.

I'll write a bit more about the report soon.

Wendy also had a great race, and also finished about a minute over her PR.

I had a very good race. I finished within about 30 seconds of my PR, but gave it all I had and have no regrets. My actual time was 2:37:41, gun time was 2:38:37. Placed 1361/4368 overall, 77/145 in my age category. My splits were: 51:47 for 10K, 1:16:33 for 15K, and 1:42:30 for 20K.

I'll write a bit more about the report soon.

Wendy also had a great race, and also finished about a minute over her PR.

Congrats to you both!

Thanks guys!

OK, so I'm still not entirely recovered from my race on the weekend, but it was such a nice day here that I decided to go for a short run after work today. My feet didn't feel like being put in shoes, so I did about 5km barefoot. Although it's been a few months since my last barefoot run, it's surprising just how quickly the body adapts and gets used to a different style of running. Not just in terms of my stride, but also in how I quickly start to non-consciously watch for and avoid debris on the pathway.

Thanks. Mostly I maintain my weight by eating lots! The truth is, I could almost certainly running faster if I reduced my weight training and lost some weight. And I definately could gain more mass if I wasn't running so much. But I prefer to be in the middle ground. If that means being a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none, then I'm cool with that.

I tried a raw dish for lunch today. I'm going to a raw potluck on Friday (Brendan Brazier is going to be there as well), and so I had to try out some raw meals. I made a "cauliflower couscous" from RAWvolution, which used food-processed cauliflower heads. It was quite tasty, although I didn't get the recipe just right (I was doing it from memory).

Here are some pics from the race last weekend.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/markc7/ATB2007-1.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/markc7/ATB2007-2.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/markc7/ATB2007-4.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/markc7/wendyATB2007-4.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/markc7/wendyATB2007-6.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k123/markc7/wendyATB2007-2.jpg

I did a short run this afternoon, about 5.5km. I felt very good, and should be ready for a long run tomorrow morning. I haven't done a single minute of weight training this week, which would be the first week since October that I don't have any weights in my log. maybe I'll do some pushups later today, just for something.

Brendan's talk last night was very interesting. Although I had read "Thrive" some of his message seemed to sink in more when I heard him say it than when I just read it. I'm looking forward to reading the new book and adopting some of his diet principles. We talked a bit afterwards, and he's a really nice guy. He's very calm; he didn't even get upset or anything when a non-vegan in the audience kept insisting that salmon was healthy.

You guys look great in the photos! Hopefully I'll be out trekking around soon... I have a minor foot injuries from the backpacking trip that I'd like to get healed up before I abuse my feet too much.

Keep up the good work!

Its great to see Wendy! And damn dude, your thigh muscles are awesome!!

Thanks bunnylalu! I only wish I looked as good in my pics and wendy does in hers.

This morning I did a great 30km run with some friends. It was tough going, but I slugged it out and ran the whole distance although I wanted to bail early on. My left foot was sore at first but the loosened up nicely by 5k and wasn't a problem. Afterwards I was quite stiff but an epsom salt bath helped.

My goal for this week: consistency. I want to run seven times, even if it means going out a for a bunch of short runs during the week. I've been putting in good mileage this year, but it's been mostly in the form of long weekend runs. Time to start pushing it on a more regular basis.

Finally, I'm back in the gym today. I did a fairly quick upper body workout this morning. It felt good, although two weeks of tapering, racing, and recovering have left me feeling a bit week. I dropped the weights on a couple exercises, and lower the number of sets on others. Hopefully later this week or next I'll be back to my previous workout intensity.

I did a 8km run this afternoon. It felt good, and I ran the second half a couple minutes faster than the first half.

Also, today I received in the mail my stuff from bodybuilding.com that I won for writing an article about vegetarianism a couple weeks ago. I got a couple dozen Clif bars, and the "Encyclopedia of Muscle and Strength". They also sent along a MMA magazine, which had a short article about Vega in it.