Vegan Outreach Newsletter

robert

Notes from Vegan Outreach

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving can be a rough time for vegetarians, but we have a lot for which to be thankful. It has been a tremendous year, with ever-increasing numbers of people learning the realities of modern animal agriculture and choosing to no longer support it.

We at Vegan Outreach are thankful, every day, to be part of the expanding circle of ethics, working as hard and as smart as we can to bend the arc of history towards justice.

Again last week, more than 30,000 students were handed booklets on campuses across North America. By the time you read this, the semester total will have passed 300,000.

We are creating a generation for whom the incredible horrors of factory farms and industrial slaughterhouses are no longer hidden. Of course, progress won't be as fast as we would like, but we can be sure that the current practice of breeding, raising, and butchering animals for the taste of their flesh won't be able to stand the light of exposure.

Everyone at Vegan Outreach is truly thankful, every day, for the volunteers and donors who do so much for the animals.

Product of the Week

Sean: "Winter is coming, and EcoLips Bee Free Lemon-Lime is one of the many reasons I enjoy the season. My lips crack easily, and this lip balm stick melts to your lips and has a fantastic lemon-lime flavor, and it works really well."

Send your nominees for Product of the Week to product (at) veganoutreach (dot) org; previous products can be found here.

Notes from All Over

Will the Government Stop This?

Understandably, people expect the government to stop the worst abuses by regulating the meat industry. However, the only major law that applies to some food animals -- The Humane Slaughter Act, which applies only to mammals -- is basically unenforced. As conceded in the meat industry journal, Meatingplace (Nov. 2006, pp. 10-16):

"The [undercover] video [of the slaughterhouse for beef processor Agri-Processors] caught the attention of USDA's Inspector General, who investigated the matter. The picture the resulting report painted was of government inspectors playing video games while Agri-Prccessors employees violated provisions of the Humane Methods and Slaughter Act. The report, however, concluded that the actions didn't amount to a 'prosecutable offense.'

"'Why is it," PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich wants to know, "that even on occasions when USDA agrees there were egregious violations, it doesn't hand down any kind of criminal prosecution, despite the fact that it's a criminal offense? USDA has never bothered to criminally prosecute anyone for violating the Humane Slaughter Act."

Salmonella on the Rise in Chicken Meat

excerpt: "A type of salmonella found in eggs is turning up more often in chicken meat and needs to be reduced, according to the Agriculture Department. From 2000 through 2005, there was a fourfold increase in positive test results for salmonella enteritidis on chicken carcasses. Salmonella sickens at least 40,000 people and kills about 600 every year in the United States."

Notes from Our Members

I'm so inspired by what you are doing. You are a keystone species in progressive society. Such a brilliant and effective use of money.

-MS, 11/16

While leafleting at the mall, two people told me that they got the pamphlet from me earlier in the day, and they are now going to have to go vegan. Many others told me that it was great what I was doing.

-Eugene Khutoryansky, 11/19/06

At Western Michigan University, Kaya and I handed out over 1,400 booklets, and heard from about 25 vegetarians, about 5 vegans, 10 hunters. One of the first of several good conversations was with a student who was handed a booklet and came back some minutes later with a look of disturbed concern. He stated he had no idea that farm animals were subjected to this brutal treatment and it did not sit well with him.

The second really neat conversation started with a student laughingly asking me if I really thought that everyone should be a vegetarian. I explained that I doubted that I could reach everyone, but I was talking with him and had handed him a booklet, so the burden of this moral issue was now on his shoulders as well. A second student stopped to listen as student A tried to squirm out of the ethical dilemma by stating that animals eat each other. I reminded him that we do not look to nonhuman animals as our moral leaders, as most seem to lack the capacity to think in moral terms, while we know we can live perfectly well without harming others like this. He admitted to this point and stated he would read the booklet. Student B then asked a few questions about modern farming procedures and stated that he was impressed with our apparent commitment to the cause, as we stood out in the chilly weather for hours handing out these booklets. On his way back from class student B th

anked me for the booklet stating that he had read it and "it was a real eye opener."

-Joe Espinosa, 11/15/06

Two great quotes from SUNY Fredonia:

Student 1: (upon receiving EI) This is totally going on my refrigerator!

Student 2 (snidely): Oh, I heard about this brochure. Aren't there carcasses in it?

Me: Well, yes, there are pictures of animals, living and dead -- but if you can eat them, shouldn't you be able to look at them?

Student: Touché. (takes a brochure)

-Jenna Calabrese, 11/18/06

At Portland State U, I heard many people say an enthusiastic "Sure!", "Definitely!", or "You bet!" I ran into a few people who said they were vegetarian but were in the process of going vegan. I gave them a GCFE, and that made them happy. One man browsed through an EI and said "Awww... I know, I need to clean out my refrigerator and stop eating meat." I told him how it's not an all-or-nothing situation -- he can still help animals by just eating more vegetarian meals. He said, "No, I want to stop eating meat all together." (All the better!) He was happy to get some recipes (I gave him a GCFE).

-Jessica Dadds, 11/16/06

At the University of Kentucky today, eight of us gave out a grand total of 2,672 EI booklets. One man came up to say he was still grappling with some AR arguments. I said that VO's sole argument is that animals suffer unnecessarily on factory farms and slaughterhouses and that we can reduce this by reducing our animal product consumption. I said that we have the capacity to think about these things and act on the ethical decisions that we come to. After conversing for a bit, he said, "These are the best answers I've heard on this. I'm going to really think about this."

One man who appeared to be a professor walked by and belligerently said, "You should care about human suffering," and, for whatever reason, I said in an uncharacteristically forcible, but still very calm manner, "And we cure human problems by raising and slaughtering animals, sir? Is that right? -- we make the world better by being brutal to animals?"

One young woman walked up to volunteer Emily and said that she was horrified by what she read and was not going to eat animals anymore. And a nice pair of women helped out with the leafleting today (both in their 70's and very sweet) and a young woman came up to them and stated, "I got a booklet earlier today and am now going to go veggie!" This meant a great deal to the volunteers as they saw the concrete results of their work.

-Jon Camp, 11/16/06

You can see previous issues of Vegan Outreach's e-newsletter on-line.

To unsubscribe, follow the link at the bottom of this message.

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

VO is a 501©(3) non-profit organization; all donations are tax-deductible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E-Newsletter, Nov. 29, 2006 Notes from VO

Holiday Shopping and Gifts

Looking to shop on-line? Start at http://tinyurl.com/yykxyh and your purchases can help print and distribute more booklets. Choose from great vegan stores such as Pangea and Shock Therapy Shirts, as well as the "cyber-malls" GreaterGood and iGive, which cover hundreds of retailers.

Can't think of anything you want for the holidays? Some of our members ask that donations be made in their honor in lieu of a material gift. If you would like a donation made in your honor this holiday season, please send friends and family members here. Thanks so much!

Vegan Lunch Box Deal!

Jennifer McCann has generously donated 10 copies of her new book, Vegan Lunch Box, based on her award-winning blog. The first ten people who sign up for a recurring donation to Vegan Outreach (which you can do, securely, at http://tinyurl.com/3msoh) will receive a copy. Please indicate "Vegan Lunch Box" in the comment area.

Not just for school lunches, this innovative book shows the grand variety of vegan meals possible with a little imagination. Get yours and help print and distribute more booklets!

Link of the Month -- Anger, Humor, and Advocacy

Introduction: Some people have asked how we can make jokes when the animals are suffering so terribly, when we're supposed to be focused on animal liberation, the moral imperative of our time. We believe that having a sense of humor is in the animals' best interest, because not only does it make our example more appealing, but it aids in avoiding burnout. In the cumulative ~50 years we've been active, Jack, Anne, and I have known literally hundreds of activists who have given up -- many of whom have even gone back to eating meat! On the other hand, the most successful activists we've known almost always have a sustaining sense of humor....

Full text at http://tinyurl.com/y2sv64

Company & Product of the Week

Jessica Hudgins: "I'd like to submit a company of the week: Food For Life. Everything from their breads, bagels, English muffins, wraps and cereals are simply delicious and amazing. All certified organic, I'm pretty sure it's all vegan; most are all sprouted grain and gluten free."

Lauren Porsch: "I've found a product that I think Jack Norris would approve: B-Fresh chewing gum. It's a xylitol-based gum (xylitol is a plant-based substance that has been proven to prevent tooth decay and promote oral health) that contains 100% of the RDI of vitamin B-12. The packaging clearly states 'vegan.' You can get it in the oral care section at Whole Foods."

Send your nominees for Product of the Week to product (at) veganoutreach (dot) org; previous products can be found here.

Notes from All Over

The Bizarro Take on the Holidays

Dan Piraro nails it here: http://tinyurl.com/yxv3t8; see other animal-themed comics at his site.

Notes from Our Members

At Monroe Community College, encounters were almost uniformly positive. One guy took a pamphlet, walked about ten paces, and then froze in place for 10-15 minutes while reading it from cover to cover. Afterwards, he and a friend came over and asked lots of good questions about veg diets.

-Hoss Firooznia, 11/23/06

I thoroughly enjoyed my leafleting experiences with Jon Camp in both Johnson City & Knoxville, TN, and I don't know why I was worried about doing this on my own! Most students responded very well. A few were already vegetarian, and a few stopped to have longer discussions. I plan on continuing my leafleting "career" and tabling/library displays. Please do not be worried -- just get out there and do it! The animals need us desperately!

-KD, Clinton, TN, 11/21/06

At SUNY Brockport, I met a professor who is vegetarian and who says that he tries to convince his students to adopt the same diet, both by ''subtle and not-so-subtle'' means. I pointed him to our website and said that he might find some not-so-subtle literature to distribute. I also had an exchange that ended:

Student: I wish they'd label the products in the grocery store that are cruelty-free!

Me: They do. Look for the word "vegan."

Student: Alright, you win.

-Jenna Calabrese, 11/21/06

At U CA, Santa Cruz, one woman was tabling for the women's center, and put some EIs out on the table. I gave her my email address and told her that I'd leaflet with her if she ever wanted first-time assistance. Another female student took an EI and kind of shrieked when she saw the cover. Five minutes later, she walked by and said, "You should have warned me about these pictures! They're terrible!" But she was still holding the booklet. Later I saw her again, still holding the booklet. She went up to a group of her friends and started showing them the booklet, pointing out many of the terrible things she'd seen. I heard her say, "I'm totally going to have to be vegetarian now!" She then came over to me to ask for three more booklets to give to her friends, who all took them.

I think this is illustrative that even if people are turned off by the gross pictures or say that they don't want to see them, they still might read the booklet and be affected. Often the initial defensive response of "Gross!" or "I don't want to see that!" is just a way for the mind to ease into something that will be unpleasant to learn.

-Suzanne Haws, 11/20/06

I am 15 years old in CA. When I found out my girlfriend is a vegetarian, I almost made fun of her. But then I realized how right it is, so now I am becoming one, too, and its all because she got a Why Vegan. She read it a year ago and ever since she has been a vegetarian. So, I'm just sending this to let you know you have 2 more on board.

-Steven, 11/20/06

I was so inspired by Jon Camp's visit to the Knoxville area. Leafleting is the best way to get the word out. We would like to do more at the UT campus and surrounding area schools, so here is a donation for more EIs. Thank you so much -- you do wonderful work helping animals. In fact, it was your booklet that turned me vegan overnight about six years ago.

-DS, 11/15/06

You can see previous issues of the e-newsletter on-line.

VO

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

E-Newsletter, Dec. 6, 2006 Notes from Vegan Outreach

AAC 2006 Hits Half a Million

On December 1, the Adopt a College program’s fall semester total reached 318,209 brochures! Over 500,000 booklets have now been handed directly to students during 2006!

So far this semester, 111 volunteers have leafleted at colleges in North America, with 81 having handed out 100 or more booklets; 32 individuals have distributed over 1,000. Victor Tsou finished his leafleting tour with a final record-smashing total of 53,841. Congratulations, Victor!

Canadian Company of the Week

Michael Hayward: "I'd like to nominate Bulk Barn. They stock a huge selection of bulk vegan foods such as rices, dried beans, pastas, whole grains, TVP, nuts, seeds, hemp, flax, trail mixes, etc., at very reasonable prices. I don't know if the founder is a veg, but he certainly makes life easier for Canadian veg*ns."

Send your nominees for Product of the Week to product (at) vegan outreach (dot) org; previous products can be found here.

Notes from All Over

CSI Investigates Factory Farming -- Thursday, Dec. 7, 9 p.m.

CBS' top-rated CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION is once again tackling a difficult animal issue in this week's episode, "Loco Motives." A bizarre series of murders, including the death of a rock star who speaks out against an industrialized chicken farming operation, leads the CSI team to investigate the unpleasant truth about what really goes on behind closed doors at a chicken slaughterhouse.

The Turkey Industry, 2006

Compiled by Matt Prescott.

Where Vegan Meets 'Decadent'

Q & A with Isa Chandra Moskowitz, author of Vegan With a Vengeance and head of The Post Punk Kitchen.

Diet and Global Warming

New report from FAO; press release from HSUS.

Notes from Our Members

I had lost faith in my leafleting when my boyfriend shrugged off Why Vegan. After reading the Oct. newsletter (pdf) and seeing how many people got great results (handing out as many brochures in one day as I did in a month!), I’m feeling very inspired, especially at the holidays. This Thanksgiving, my Mom made a Tofurky -- at 64, she went vegetarian, and my sister went vegan last year thanks to your brochures. In fact, your brochures led me to go vegan several years ago.

-TS, 11/30/06

Here in Vegan Society of Finland, we have now almost distributed the entire first edition of our new pamphlet Miksi kasvissyojaksi? (in English: Why Vegetarian?). The brochures have been mostly distributed in tabling but they have also been stocked to some shops and libraries. It is also part of our free starter pack. We have lots of new members and numerous requests for the free starter pack.

-Timo Kiviniemi, 12/2/06

I really appreciated your article "Advocacy in an Imperfect World," from your October newsletter. I think it's important to recognize that every little bit helps, and that if animal advocates insist that people are "perfect," then it will be not be a very inviting idea, and people will be intimidated against even trying.

-MN, 12/1/06

My favorite exchange at UNC Chapel Hill today:

Me: Brochure to help animals?

Student: I got one of those...I went vegan.

Me: From this brochure?

Student: Yes!

-Jeff Boghosian, 11/30/06

One of my favorite leafleting memories ever was from UNC Chapel Hill about a year ago, when Aashish Bhimani was my fellow leafleter that day. During one class change, a nice young man came up to me to say that he went vegetarian as a result of getting an Even If booklet a few months earlier. During the next class change, a nice young woman came up to Aashish to say the exact same thing.

Aashish and I had a similar experience at George Mason U yesterday. There was an individual walking by and he stopped to let me know that he got an EI booklet 4 months back and that the pictures -- especially those of the chickens -- made him really think about his food choices, which immediately led to him going vegetarian. An hour later, another man came up to Aashish to state that he got an EI booklet a year back and has been vegan since (pictured here; Aashish on left).

-Jon Camp, 11/29/06

While leafleting at the Hawthorne District [in Portland, OR], I asked two 20-somethings if they wanted a brochure. One of them grabbed it, and the other one waited for me to get more pamphlets out of my bag. When I handed it to her, she said "YES!!" and was practically jumping up and down. She walked away energetically talking about it with her friend. Also, one of the highlights was a sweet girl who came up to me towards the end and said, "Okay, I'm ready to take one now!" I realized that I had offered her a WV earlier but she had her hands full of stuff. It made me happy that she took the time to come back over to get one.

-Jessica Dadds, 11/27/06

While Roger and I were leafleting at the University of South Florida today, we had a number of great encounters. A guy told me he is "trying" and that he thinks it's important for everyone to reduce consumption. He got a pamphlet in high school and then again in college and has since been limiting his meat consumption. One girl said "Hell Yeah!" after I offered her a booklet. A man refused a booklet, went inside the library, then came back out and said, "On second thought, I will take one." Two girls said they had already received booklets and they agreed so I gave them GCFEs. A golf cart came up to Roger, and one of the guys in the cart asked for a booklet. The two men in the cart then proceeded to argue about whether someone who doesn't eat meat can build muscle. One guy said to the other "Look at him!" (referring to Roger), "He's pretty built!" Roger told them he hadn't eaten meat in 10 years, and is fitter now than he was before.

-Jodi Chemes, 11/27/06

You can see previous issues of Vegan Outreach's e-newsletter online.

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

E-Newsletter, Dec. 13, 2006 This issue is sponsored by www.DownBound.com

Vegetarian Meats of the Month

Paul Shapiro claims that these Meal Starters, especially the Steak Style, are the best mock meat product available at regular natural foods chains (and some grocery stores, such as Giant Eagle). Business Week gave the Tofurky dinner a good review. Vegan Outreach co-founder Matt Ball will be serving his non-vegan extended family these drumsticks and other products from VegieWorld for Christmas dinner.

Notes from All Over

Animal Advocacy Website for Teens

SAGA (Student's Animal Guardian Alliance) is a website that assists high school students and clubs in their efforts to promote a more animal-friendly society. On www.clubsaga.org you can do things like…

• Chat to other teens around the U.S. through a forum

• Get links to tons of resources on everything from factory farming to wildlife to humane eating choices

• Animal Rights Clubs can apply for grants for special projects

• Enter into contests

Visit clubsaga.org for more information!

Vegan Buddies!

Lauren Porsch passes this great service along: "The Vegan Buddies Project is an exciting venture that has been created to provide all the support people need to go vegan. Those of us who already are vegan know that one of the most valuable resources is a friend -- someone to tip us off as to which is the best soy ice cream, where to find stylish non-leather shoes, and most importantly, how the heck to make tofu taste good. We need participants all over the globe, especially in places where vegans are few and far between, so join up today!"

Pig Farm Exposed in Rolling Stone

The article tells us that according to the EPA, Smithfield dumps more toxic waste into the nation's water each year than all but three other industrial facilities in America. But, "The industry has long made generous campaign contributions to politicians responsible for regulating hog farms. ... In 1998 corporate hog farms in North Carolina spent $1 million to help defeat state legislators who wanted to clean up open-pit lagoons." Full summary at: DawnWatch.com.

'Zombie Chickens' Show One Horror of Egg Industry

excerpt: "In this rich agricultural region of Northern California, ranchers have been turning chickens too old to lay eggs into compost at a rate of a half-million hens a year. But some chickens not properly euthanized have been seen crawling out of the compost piles, earning them the name 'zombie chickens.'"

Notes from Our Members

A friend of mine was standing outside of his office building when he overheard two women. One woman asked, "How is your daughter liking college?" The other responded, "She's only been there a few weeks, and she's a vegetarian now. She got some sort of pamphlet on campus and now refuses to eat meat."

-Lauren Porsch, 12/6/06

I have been stocking the magazine rack at my gym with Why Vegans since I joined, and tonight a woman stopped to ask if I was the one responsible for leaving the brochures (it must have been my pro-veg t-shirt that tipped her off). She thanked me and said I had changed her life. She picked up a brochure a week ago and, upon reading it, hadn't eaten meat since. Since I am stuck behind a desk all day, I try to find little things like this to do for the animals ... and sometimes it is the little things that can make a big difference!

-Eric Weiss, 12/5/06

We took a second round in Indianapolis today. I talked again with the ex-Marine I met last time I was there. He let me know that he had stopped eating chickens because of my harm reduction suggestion. Also heard from about 12 vegetarians.

-Joe Espinosa, 12/7/06

The students at Mt. Hood Community College were incredibly receptive today. One woman I approached said, "You already gave it to me, and it made me cry. It's effective." Another said she had already received one earlier in the semester. When I asked if she had read it, she said, "It was sick. I have reduced my meat consumption. Thank you for being here."

-Jessica Dadds, 12/7/06

While leafleting today, someone told me "You gave me one already, and I showed my whole English class!" When I was about to leave, someone exclaimed: "Wow! You have good timing! We just talked about [animal rights] in my [moral philosophy] class!" So, I got another few batches and ran back to to leaflet the class letting out. The professor came out and was impressed and said she supported us!

-VM, 12/5/06

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

• 3 weeks later...

2006 - A Record Breaking Year

Our grand total for booklet requests in 2006 was 1,167,236, with 534,127 handed out on college campuses. Thanks so much to everyone who took the animals' case directly to the public!

Happy New Year!

We hope you enjoyed the holidays. We’d like to thank everyone who donated to Vegan Outreach over the past few weeks!

We are now gearing up for this coming semester. Most colleges are back in session next week, and we will work hard to reach hundreds of thousands of students with our brochures.

With your help, we will make 2007 the best year ever for the animals!

Vegan Outreach on Zaadz!

Jenna Calabrese has set up a Zaadz account! Also, check out the Vegan Outreach MySpace page.

Nutrition Tidbits

-Jack Norris, RD

From VeganHealth.org:

Start 2007 off right -- Get your iodine!

In the United States, perchlorate contamination of water and fresh vegetables in some geographical regions is now a concern. Perchlorate interferes with thyroid function, especially among people with low iodine intakes. You can read more about perchlorate and iodine in the article Perchlorate Controversy Calls for Improving Iodine Nutrition by David M. Crohn, PhD.

The bottom line here is to make sure you get enough iodine. I break a 225 mcg iodine supplement into quarters and take one every day. More info on iodine can be found here.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/iodine

Anti-Soy Book ReviewHINDER Concert (Sold Out): 350 WV + 25 EI + 3 GCFE

Many of our readers have probably heard of the book (or seen abridged articles from) The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food, by Kaayla T. Daniel. You can now read an excellent review of the book by Syd Baumel, founder of the website EatKind.net.

Soy & Breast Cancer

In April 2006, the results of a meta-analysis of soy intake and breast cancer risk showed a slightly decreased risk among women who ate more soy (Trock BJ, Hilakivi-Clarke L, Clarke R. Meta-analysis of soy intake and breast cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006 Apr 5;98(7):430-1). The analysis combined results of 17 previous studies (all that existed when the analysis was written in 2004) where soy intake and breast cancer rates were measured. This analysis showed that women who had the highest intake of soy had a slightly decreased risk of breast cancer compared to those in the lowest intake category. However, the intake categories were rather small. In the individual studies showing a protective effect of soy, the highest intake category was an average of 8 grams of soy protein per day, or about one serving per day. The highest intake category for soy in any of the 17 studies was 19 grams per day, or about 2 servings. That study showed no effect of soy.

This meta-analysis indicates that one serving of soy per day does not raise the risk of breast cancer and might even lower it slightly. Future studies will look at higher intakes of soy.

Product of the Week

Jean B of WA: Amy's Tofu Scramble Pocket Sandwich, heated for 1.5 min. in microwave, then topped with lots of Barlean's Flax Oil and Red Star powdered nutritional yeast. I top everything with flax oil and yeast -- popcorn, broccoli & other veggies, potatoes, bread, soy meats, etc. It's easy, fast, and super delicious. I never seem to tire of the flavor!

Notes from All Over

Vote for Veg Restaurant of the Year!

Voting for VegDining's Vegetarian Restaurants of the Year awards continues until January 15. Vote in as many city/area categories as you'd like. Visit VegDining.com to cast your vote. Thank you for participating in this very important means of promoting vegetarianism around the world!

E-Newsletter, Jan. 10, 2007 Notes from Vegan Outreach

New Year's Accomplishments and Resolutions

On January 3, Stewart Solomon handed out 1,610 Even If booklets at Cal Poly Pomona, putting the Adopt a College program over the 1,000,000 booklet mark since its inception in the fall of 2003 -- one million young people who have personally accepted the thorough, honest, and powerful case against factory-farming and the compassionate vegetarian alternative.

We are committed to reaching the next million students more quickly, but we can't do it without your help! Please resolve this year to Adopt a College and/or contribute to print and distribute new booklets.

Consider setting up an automatic recurring donation -- these set, regular donations allow Vegan Outreach to plan more efficiently. If you had set up a recurring donation in the past, please check to see if it is still active (e.g., if your card expired).

Finally, look for this eNewsletter on Wednesdays -- if you don't receive it, check to see if your ISP or e-mail client has filtered or blocked it (if you run a whitelist, please add this eNewsletter). If there is something you would like to see in future issues, please let us know.

With your help, we can make 2007 the best year for the animals yet!

House / Help an Activist

In the next few weeks, Victor Tsou and Jon Camp will get the show on the road with their college leafleting tours -- both of which will last approximately 10 weeks. Jenna Calabrese will soldier on with her important work in the northeast.

Victor will leaflet Bakersfield, CA; Tucson, AZ; Nacogdoches, TX; southern Louisiana; Memphis, TN; throughout AL, AR, KS, MS, OK; between Denver and Greeley, CO; between Orem and Logan, UT; and Reno, NV. He will need housing in all of these regions, particularly in the following cities: Lafayette, LA; Baton Rouge, LA; Mobile, AL; Hattiesburg, MS; Troy, AL; Auburn, AL; Montgomery, AL; Starkville, MS; University, MS; Memphis, TN; Jonesboro, AR; Little Rock, AR; Fayetteville, AR; Oklahoma City, OK; Kansas City, KS; Manhattan, KS; Hays, KS; and Denver, CO.

Jon will leaflet Wilmington, NC; Charleston, Conway, Columbia, and Clemson, SC; the northern half of GA; Tuscaloosa, AL; Jackson, MS; northern LA; the southernmost part of TX; southern and central MO; all throughout IL and IA; southern IN; southern WI; northern OH; and southern PA. He will need housing in southern MO, southern IL, and southern IN.

Note: On January 9, Jon handed out his 200,000th booklet for Adopt a College. Way to go, Jon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenna will leaflet throughout MA, RI, upstate NY, NYC, CT, NH, and VT.

If you would be willing to house Victor or Jon, please email tour(at)veganoutreach(dot)org.

Moreover, all three of these individuals would be grateful for any volunteer help and are available to give talks at your local college or to your local organization. Thanks so much to everyone who has helped out with tours in the past. Through your generosity, we’ve been able to run cost-efficient nation-wide outreach, reaching hundreds of thousands of students, while continuing to expand our outreach efforts for the animals.

Product of the Week

Josh Warchol: I'd like to suggest Nasoya Tangy Blue Vegan Dressing. Part of a new line of refrigerated vegan dressings, it tastes very good on a salad or for dipping buffalo-style veggie chik'n strips.

Send your nominees for Product of the Week to product (at) veganoutreach (dot) org; previous products can be found on-line.

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

E-Newsletter, Jan. 17, 2007 Notes from Vegan Outreach

Help Needed for Activists!

Thanks so much to those of you who have offered to house Victor Tsou and Jon Camp during their upcoming leafleting tours.

Victor still needs to find housing in or near Lafayette and Baton Rouge, LA; Mobile, Troy, Auburn, and Montgomery, AL; Hattiesburg, Starkville, and University, MS; Memphis, TN; Jonesboro, Little Rock, and Fayetteville, AR; Oklahoma City, OK; Manhattan and Hays, KS; and Reno, NV.

Jon needs just one night, anywhere between Oklahoma City, OK and Springfield, MO.

If you can help out Victor or Jon, please email tour@veganoutreach(dot)org. You would be helping reach thousands of new people in parts of the country not frequently reached with the vegetarian message.

Thanks so much!

Links of the Week: Honesty & The Health Argument

One common argument for continuing to eat meat is this: animals must be treated well on farms, or else they wouldn't "produce." This contention is very powerful, because it seems to make sense, and meat-eaters very much want to believe it.

Many vegetarians and vegans are also susceptible to wishful thinking, especially when it comes to the contention that eating meat is inherently and always unhealthy. Just like the myth that only happy animals produce, the argument that meat is unhealthy seems to make sense given that most meat eaters in the U.S. are overweight (click here for the statistics), and most die from diseases related to diet.

There is a big difference, of course, between pointing out that the standard American diet (SAD) is generally unhealthy, and proving that meat is a "deadly poison," with veganism being the only way to good health.

But just as honest research shows the "happy animals" claim to be a lie, looking at actual facts about vegans undermines the fantastic health claims of some advocates. In a 1999 meta-analysis, researchers compared morality rates of those following different diets. Although the number of vegans was too small to achieve statistical significance, the data showed vegans to have the same mortality rates as meat-eaters, while fish-eaters and lacto-ovo vegetarians had lower rates than meat-eaters and vegans.

In the introduction to VeganHealth.org, Jack Norris, RD, explains some of what accounts for the difference between the actual data and the spin some vegans present:

• Popular vegan literature has often extrapolated rates of heart disease and some cancers in cultures that eat little meat or among people who eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, as indications of the health status of vegans. This cannot substitute for studying true vegans.

• Risk factors such as cholesterol levels have been used to make projections about the health of vegans, but these do not necessarily tell the whole story. For example, while vegans' cholesterol levels are on average lower than meat-eaters, vegans who neglect vitamin B12 and omega- 3 fatty acids are possibly counteracting their low cholesterol levels.

• Many groups promoting veganism do not want to bring attention to any nutritional concerns. While this might initially attract more people, getting people to stay vegan is the harder and more important task and addressing concerns is a more sustainable way to promote the diet.

By no means does this mean that well-planned vegan diets are unhealthy. As pointed out by the American Dietetic Association, "It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. ... Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence." The ability of an ethical diet to be optimally healthy and beneficial -- including during pregnancy and childhood -- is truly one of the great benefits we animal advocates have in making the case for choosing compassion. But to be able to use this to our advantage, we must give up our fantasies and put aside wishful thinking. The case for ethical eating is honest, straightforward, and compelling, and in no need of exaggerations or

distortions.

To learn more about vegetarian diets and the health argument -- including statistics, reviews, and advocacy advice -- please see" Got Health?"

To review plans for a healthful diet, please see "Staying Healthy on a Plant-Based Diet."

To read more about the importance of getting good information, please see "Selecting Information for Advocacy."

Products of the Week

The two best books about vegan nutrition currently available are Plant Based Health and Nutrition and Becoming Vegan. These are available at Amazon.com (1, 2) or via the VO Catalog.

Send your nominees for Product of the Week to product (at) veganoutreach (dot) org; previous products can be found on-line.

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

E-Newsletter, Jan. 24, 2007

Sponsor Vegan Power!

Always wearing a "vegan" shirt while racing, vegan ultra-marathoner and Ohio activist extraordinaire Dan Kuzma has given information to many interested runners (as well as through the Adopt a College Program). Now, he says:

"I am always interested in finding creative ways to help raise awareness of the plight of the animals on factory farms. So I'm going to complete my first 100-mile race on June 16-17, 2007 in Ohio -- The Mohican Trail 100 Mile Race.

"For this occasion, I will dedicate each mile that I run to ending animal suffering. I need sponsors to help me achieve this goal!

"You can help by donating a quarter, fifty cents, or dollar per mile that I run to print more Vegan Outreach booklets.

"Throughout my years of leafleting, Vegan Outreach has always supplied me with enough pamphlets to distribute, even when I didn’t have much money in my pocket to offer for the booklets. This was all made possible by the generous donations of individuals like YOU! Let’s keep the ball rolling. I want to raise $7,500 towards the next printing of Why Vegan.

"I will go to the wall for the animals; please promote the cause by going to this link.

"Thanks so very much!"

Leafleting Job Opening with Vegan Outreach

Vegan Outreach has been given a grant to hire another leafleter, starting as soon as feasible. We are looking for someone who lives in or can move to the San Francisco Bay Area, Atlanta, or Dallas, in order to leaflet colleges in the local area, as well as do leafletting tours in the region. This person would also leaflet concerts, especially over the summer, and organize others to leaflet concerts over the summer. Prior leafleting experience for Vegan Outreach is, of course, a plus!

For more information, see the longer description on-line. Please do not forward this to other lists.

Jenna Calabrese Discusses AAC on Erik's Diner

From Erik's introduction: "Vegan Outreach is probably doing more than any animal protection group out there to systematically make sure that college students find out about the realities of factory farming. Vegan Outreach needs your help. It needs your financial support -- any dollars you send them goes directly to printing this literature which farmed animals desperately need to be circulated. And as much as they need your money, Vegan Outreach needs your time. Because frankly, a person’s commitment to animals is not measured by what happened to be the fourteenth ingredient in their bagel; to me, the most important metric is whether you are taking the time to make sure that college students find it impossible to get all the way through college and graduate without being exposed to the realities of factory farming."

You can listen to Jenna's interview in the January 16 show at Vegan.com; interview starts at about minute 21.

Calling All Filmmakers, Editors, and Producers!

Compassionate Action for Animals is teaming up with Vegan Outreach to produce a new video promoting the effectiveness of leafleting. CAA and VO are currently looking for qualified camerapersons, filmmakers, editors, and producers who would like to take part in this exciting project. This will become a powerful video that will inspire countless individuals nationwide to become active for farm animals! If you are interested or would like more details, please contact us at [email protected].

Products of the Week

Marisa Miller: I want to let any other hazelnut lovers out there know about the chocolate hazelnut flavor of Whole Soy & Co frozen yogurt. In Europe, hazelnuts are as popular as peanuts are here. Finally, fans of "Haselnuss Eis" and "nocciola gelato" can now get their fix!

Also, The Washington Post finds the Real Faux Burger.

Feedback from Our Members

Leafleting in Philadelphia today, one man, after a long discussion with a leafletter, decided to stop eating meat and has kept in touch with the leafletter to let her know. Another highlight of the afternoon was when a family approached one of the leafletters to let him know that four or five months ago they had received a Why Vegan from us and none of them have eaten meat since!

-Nick Cooney, 1/14/07

Since you sent me the booklets, two people for sure have gone vegetarian because of the brochures, and many people have said they will greatly reduce how much meat they eat.

-Brandon, 1/18/07

At the University of South Carolina today, a nice young student named Amy took a booklet, realized what it was about, and introduced herself to me. She was very excited to see me there, already received VO's e-newsletter, etc. She joined me during her break and made her leafleting debut. She was a bit nervous at first, but felt very comfortable with leafleting by the time she had to call it quits.

-Jon Camp, 1/19/07

I have spent much of the past few years on the road doing vegan outreach with various bands and tours. One of the most effective methods of dealing with people I've found came from a tip in an old Vegan Outreach eNewsletter.

I always get the "I could never give up chicken," (or "I could never give up ice cream") response. I reply: "Well, why not give up everything but that then?" 99% of the time, they say, "I could do that," or "I will try that." In a matter of seconds you have been able to help someone reconsider their whole diet simply by not being dogmatic, re-enforcing that it's not about being perfect, it's just about doing our best to reduce our contributions to suffering and working with them to see it's not impossible to be compassionate consumers.

The other popular favorite reply is "Sorry, I like meat." Having an Even if you like Meat ready is perfect. I say, "I have something just for you." They generally laugh 9 out or 10 times, but still take the booklet.

So thanks again for all the hard work and for constantly updating and adapting outreach to help others be effective catalysts for change.

-TaRa, 1/17/07

You can see previous issues of Vegan Outreach's e-newsletter here.

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

E-Newsletter, Jan. 31, 2007 Notes from Vegan Outreach

Activists Beat the Cold!

Despite cold temperatures, Adopt-a-College activists handed out 21,782 booklets last week, with the current total over 40,000 for the semester -- well ahead of last year's pace!

One Last Request for Housing

Thanks so much to everyone who has offered to house VO leafleters throughout this Spring semester. We now need to find housing for just a few more regions.

Victor Tsou needs housing in or near Auburn, Mobile, Montgomery, and Troy, AL; Fayetteville, Jonesboro, Little Rock, AR; Manhattan, KS; Lafayette, LA; Hattiesburg, Starkville, University, MS; and Memphis, TN.

Jodi Chemes and Dean Stanford need housing in or near Tallahassee and Jacksonsville, FL as well as Valdosta, GA

If you would be willing to house any of these courteous, dedicated activists, please email tour(at)veganoutreach(dot)org. Thank you!

The Arc Makes a Visible Turn

Grassroots, person-to-person educational efforts to expose the realities of factory farming strikes many people as too slow. Unseen people going vegetarian across the country don't provide a viscerally-satisfying victory.

But occasionally, we are given a glimpse of the future, where we can actually see the arc of history bend toward justice. This happened last week, when Smithfield Foods, the largest supplier of pork in the U.S., announced that it will phase out gestation crates.

Of course, having one supplier gradually reduce the suffering of some animals is not the ultimate goal. We are working for the day when people eat vegetarian meats rather than animal flesh. Nevertheless, Smithfiled's decision -- reached not because of any specific activist campaign or legislative pressure -- is profound because of the future it reveals.

Although Smithfield says they will take 10 years to accomplish this (and longer for their contractors), this is much faster than it would take via state-by-state ballot initiatives (not to mention the expense and efforts required for each ballot initiative). Even more importantly, the nation's largest pork producer has now said that gestation crates are neither necessary, nor desirable, undercutting any arguments against future and further bans.

As pointed out in the Economist's 1995 cover story "Also a Part of Creation," once you admit that animals' interests matter, there is no firm stopping point on the 'slippery' slope: "Unless you are willing to make an arbitrary distinction between one level of cruelty and another, you soon arrive at the conclusion that humans have no business harming animals except on the most urgent necessity." Thus, vegetarianism is, ultimately, the only firm, logical conclusion.

While creating many new vegetarians, our efforts to distribute thousands of booklets every day to new individuals are also helping to create a backlash against factory farming. Modern animal agriculture cannot stand the light of exposure. It is both encouraging and inevitable that, as we reveal the realities of factory farms to the public, our ultimate goal of total abolition will be preceded by the incremental abolition of worst abuses.

Last week, we saw the latest visible step to a compassionate society. Every day, we are taking the next steps.

VO Joins Friendster and VegSpace

In addition to the MySpace page, Jenna Calabrese has put together Vegan Outreach Friendster and VegSpace pages.

Product of the Week

Marty Foster: My favorite soap is Kirk's Original Coco Castile. It's cheaper than most vegan soaps (about $1 for a 4 oz. bar) and is available at many grocery stores (for a list, check out kirksnatural.com). It lathers really well in hard water, lasts a long time and has no discernable fragrance. This product carries the leaping bunny symbol, which confirms no animal testing.

I passed out 450 booklets at two alternative country shows. I really enjoyed it, and got a good response from many people. It's such a satisfying feeling, handing out this information. And I love it when people tell me they're already vegan or vegetarian. -Loren Hart, Raleigh, NC, 1/28/07

Thursday at the University of Georgia was one of my favorite days of outreach ever. Two people from my talk there the night before joined Wendy Moore and me to leaflet. We all came across many vegetarians and vegans. One man came up to Wendy to say how moved he was by the booklet and how he really wanted to help out. He might get involved with the local group, Speak Out For Species. And yet another man came up to tell me that he was a devout Christian and deeply moved by the booklet. He said that he thought receiving this booklet was an act from God. A young woman came up from the UGA TV station and arranged to interview me. She came back a bit later, videotaped me leafleting for about 15 minutes, and then interviewed me.

I received more "thank you for being here" comments than perhaps any other leafleting session. I could honestly go on for a while with such stories. I was absolutely dumbfounded by all this.

From a numbers perspective, this was the best week of college outreach I've ever taken part in. In 5 days, a net 8,081 EI booklets were handed out by us. Eric Griffith and Wendy were absolutely instrumental in the success of this week as they both took off plenty of time from work to leaflet for the animals, and this was in addition to their housing me for 10 nights. They're great friends to VO and the animals and I'm extremely grateful for all they do!

-Jon Camp, 1/26/07

I love your organization and am constantly inspired by your humble, compassionate, and most of all reasonable approach to saving animals from their terrible fate.

-DW, Atlanta, GA, 1/24/07

On my tour last week, I leafleted at four colleges and handed out 5,100 booklets, starting out with 35 hours without sleep, but it was well worth it! Kudos to VO's financial supporters, since I could not afford the booklets for this trip! I'm taking a couple more days off for next week to leaflet prior to Valentine's Day.

-Casey Constable, 1/26/07

I just visited your website for the first time, and was honestly expecting a hysterical, "flatten the tires of every cattle truck you see" sort of approach. I was very pleasantly surprised to find an inclusive, responsible dialog about how best to live in a way that represents an individual's own moral and ethical beliefs.

MT, 1/23/07

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

E-Newsletter, Feb. 7, 2007 Notes from Vegan Outreach

Your Group's Logo on Why Vegan?

We will soon need to do another printing of Why Vegan? If you are interested in sponsoring a batch with your group's logo and contact information printed on the back, please e-mail jack(at)veganoutreach(dot)org by Monday, Feb 12 for pricing and details.

Products & Talk of the Week

Beth Cox: I’d like to nominate Terra Nostra’s Ricemilk Choco Bar. Once I became a vegan I accepted the end of milk chocolate and have now developed a real appreciation of dark chocolate. Still, it is great to be able to have vegan milk chocolate and the taste is amazing.

K Welsh: If anyone in the Bay Area hasn't tasted Maggie Mudd's Freestyle ice creams, you're missing out!

Also for the Bay Area, Jack Norris will be speaking on Sunday, February 11. After the Bay Area Vegetarians' famous Vegan Food Party at 3pm, Jack will be sharing his experiences and plans for saving animals and changing the world. Don't miss this opportunity -- details here.

Notes from All Over

The Reality of Smithfield

Last week's eN mentioned Smithfield Farm's decision to eventually phase out gestation crates. Jeff Tietz, an investigative reporter, has published a behind-the-scenes look at Smithfield's operations. Excerpt:

"Smithfield Foods, the largest and most profitable pork processor in the world, killed 27 million hogs last year. That's a number worth considering. A slaughter-weight hog is fifty percent heavier than a person. The logistical challenge of processing that many pigs each year is roughly equivalent to butchering and boxing the entire human populations of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose, Detroit, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, San Francisco, Columbus, Austin, Memphis, Baltimore, Fort Worth, Charlotte, El Paso, Milwaukee, Seattle, Boston, Denver, Louisville, Washington, D.C., Nashville, Las Vegas, Portland, Oklahoma City and Tucson."

A Few More 'Inconvenient Truths'

Excerpt: "The report released today by the world's leading climate scientists made no bones about it: global warming is happening in a big way and it is very likely man-made. So, if we are indeed the bulk of the problem, we ought to step up and start doing things differently. Now.

"My last post ('Vegetarian Is the New Prius') got a lot of traction, and I think it's because there is a realization that being 'part of the solution' can be a whole lot simpler -- and cheaper -- than going out and buying a new car."

Support Vegan Businesses!

"The Vegan Chamber of Commerce is a new organization dedicated to the commerce of vegan businesses, professionals, and service providers. Our goal is to create a worldwide central directory of vegan commerce, a support network for vegan entrepreneurs, and provide education about the vegan lifestyle."

My road trip to Austin and Texas A&M was great, and we reached over 10,000 people. Got some good help on this fun vacation and leafleting trip from 3 others. Angelo was a riot, passing off the booklets with the behind the back pass, over the shoulder, and all sorts of funny hand offs.

-Casey Constable, 2/2/07

While leafleting at the mall again today, I overheard a young woman telling her friends, "I can't look at those pictures again. I now can't eat meat anymore."

-Eugene Khutoryansky, 2/3/07

After leafleting at St. Joseph's today, Tracy, my host who works at Saint Joseph, told me that many of her students were discussing the brochures. One girl even said, "I should go vegetarian!" Hooray!

At the University of Hartford last week, I had an interesting exchange:

Me: Brochure against animal cruelty?

Male student: Sure. (Takes it and walks away, reading it)

(Another student approaches from the opposite direction)

Male student: Hey, have you seen this? (Holds up his booklet to the other student)

Female student: No, what is it?

Male student: Take one from her. (Points to me; the female student takes a brochure)

I also just found out that two people with whom I interned last summer are both going vegan. I guess all of those vegan brownie nights that I hosted and leaflets I gave to everyone I knew have paid off! Never underestimate the power of good literature, good food, and good conversation.

-Jenna Calabrese, 1/31/07

At the University of Illinois (U-C), I handed out 550 WV. I really thought the wind chill temperature of -10 would hurt my numbers. My proper dressing (6 layers on the top half of my body, 2 layers on the bottom half) allowed me to stay out for 7 hours. Heard from no less than 20 vegetarians and 4 vegans. Talked with one student who stated he really liked my line, "Brochure on nonviolent eating?" and he related that his wife had become vegetarian as a result of getting the booklet with those magical words from me in the past.

-Joe Espinosa, 1/31/07

This was by far the coldest weather I have ever leafleted in. The wind chill was -20 F! We were dressed in many layers. I had 7 other people scheduled to leaflet with me, but 6 of them canceled (understandable!). I was able to scrape together a few other volunteers and we passed out about 1,000 leaflets! If people were hesitant, I just said "These MUST be important if I am willing to be out here in this cold passing these out for free!" Almost no one turned down the leaflets when I said that!

-Ben Acaso, CAA, 1/29/07

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

E-Newsletter, Feb. 14, 2007

Adopt a College Powers On!

Despite cold weather across much of the country, Adopt a College Activists have been reaching thousands of new people every day. Over 85,000 booklets have been distributed so far this term -- nearly 30,000 more than last year at this time!

Thanks to everyone for their dedication to taking the message of the animals' plight right to more individuals.

Product of the Week

Anonymous: Good Karma's Organic Rice Cream Single Serve Sundae Cups are amazing! Kosher, trans-fat-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, and the company claims to "support green farming" and to donate some of their profits to ending world hunger. Well, they just ended my hunger!

Notes from All Over

Meatout 2007!

On or around March 20 -- the first day of spring -- thousands of caring people in all 50 US states and around the world will hold informative and educational events for The Great American Meatout. Events will include colorful 'lifestivals,' street theater, lectures, public dinners, cooking demos, food samplings, leafleting, information tables, and a Congressional Reception in Washington, DC. You can learn more on-line; if you are going to distribute Vegan Outreach booklets for your event, please order them by March 1.

More Companies Announce Confinement Phase-Outs

• Canada’s Largest Pig Producer to End Confinement of Pigs in Gestation Crates

• Marcho Farms to Phase out Veal Crates

Why Vegan was the fly that derailed the train. I am now an extremely proud vegetarian and wanting to spread the word.

-NK, Cleveland, OH, 2/8/07

At my talk at the University of Texas, Pan American, a med student mentioned to me that he had been good friends with a vegetarian woman for a long time. She had given him the case for vegetarianism, showed him graphic images, etc., but none of this convinced him. About eight months ago, she gave him an Even If You Like Meat booklet. For his first time, he came to think that this might not have to be an all-or-nothing endeavor. He tried going a few days a week without meat, got used to this, and came to realize that there was no good reason he couldn't do this on a daily basis. He's now been veg for about 7 months.

-Jon Camp, 2/9/07

My best encounter at Rio Hondo College today was after a guy politely questioned me, obviously searching for a weak spot that he could delve for. Then a second guy came up to him holding an EI which I had given him earlier. "Hey man. I heard you speak about morality the other day, and this stuff (pointing to the EI) is exactly what I was thinking of! Right on, man!"

-Stewart Solomon, 2/6/07

While we were leafleting today at Southern University and A&M (at right; photo by Monica Ferroe), I found the students at this historically African American school are by far the most open-minded individuals vis-a-vis this material that I have ever encountered. Dozens of students came up to us saying how shocked, sickened, and outraged they were by the treatment of animals. I overheard countless conversations about the booklet and heard "vegetarian" and "vegan" from students throughout the day. One student asked for a booklet, and, upon opening it up, said, "I don't want to eat meat again after seeing this!" One student wanted to know who to protest to -- I told him he could eat less meat and also ask his grocery store to carry cage-free eggs. Notably, I did not receive a single rude comment all day.

-Victor Tsou, 2/9/07

Exchange of the day at MIT:

Jenna: Brochure against animal cruelty?

Student: Oh, no, I get those things all the time.

Jenna: Did you read it?

Student: (somewhat embarrassed) Well, no...

Jenna: Then it's your lucky day. It's really good information. Here's one you can actually read.

Student: (takes an EI) I'll give it a shot.

-Jenna Calabrese, 2/9/07

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

--

The following information is a reminder of your current mailing

list subscription:

You are subscribed to the following list:

Vegan Outreach e-Newsletter

Using the following email:

[email protected]

You may automatically unsubscribe from this list at any time by

visiting the following URL:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi?f=u&l=vo&[email protected]&p=12490898>

If the above URL is inoperable, make sure that you have copied the

entire address. Some mail readers will wrap a long URL and thus break

this automatic unsubscribe mechanism.

You may also change your subscription by visiting this list's main screen:

If you're still having trouble, please contact the list owner at:

The following physical address is associated with this mailing list:

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238-8492

E-Newsletter, Feb. 21, 2007 Notes from Vegan Outreach

Record | Thanks

Despite the bone-chilling cold gripping much of the nation, Adopt a College activists have handed booklets directly to over 100,000 students and faculty so far this semester. This is over 50% more than at this time last year!

Overall distribution is also proceeding at a record pace. We've already sent out more than 220,000 booklets in 2007, compared to 147,000 by this date in 2006!

To try to keep up with this great demand, Vegan Outreach recently completed a new printing of Even If You Like Meat, and we are about to go to press with the next batch of Why Vegan and the new Spanish Por que vegetariano.

Last year, Vegan Outreach set a record for distribution because we received a record number of donations. We can't say "thank you" enough to everyone who has contributed to exposing and eventually ending the horrors of modern animal agriculture. Please know that it is only because of your generosity that, each and every day, thousands and thousands of people learn about the animals' plight and the compassionate alternative.

With this rapid growth, Vegan Outreach's printing and shipping expenses have outstripped donations. If you are considering a donation, now would be a great time! You can donate securely on-line, set up automatic recurring donations, or send a check or money order to:

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

With your help, we can continue to reach more and more people every single day.

Thanks so very much!

Super Dan Keeps Running!

Dan Kuzma's training for his 100 mile race in June continues apace, as does his fundraising. He is closing in on $2,000 -- help support vegan power with a pledge today!

Coming Soon

A new Action Alert, as well as One Possible Future, a new essay by Matt Ball.

Product of the Week

Mae: I nominate Organic Sunshine Burgers -- they are delish! They are made with whole grains, veggies and raw sunflower seeds (and gluten free as well) not too dry or bland. I've had a hard time finding them but have been seeing them in more and more places. Very Good!!

While leafleting at the Galleria Mall, a young boy who had gotten a Why Vegan earlier in the day told me that it was very sad. I then told him that I have another pamphlet also, and handed him a GCFE. His mother said their whole family was definitely going to have to change now. Later, an employee from one of the stores thanked me for giving her a pamphlet earlier, and said that it was definitely something to think about. I gave her a GCFE also.

-Eugene Khutoryansky, 2/18/07

At the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, I ran into great responses from the students. Many read the booklet while they waited for the light to change; one woman, engrossed in reading the pamphlet, missed the "walk" signal entirely. Several asked for extra copies for their friends. I overheard one man telling his friend that the pamphlet was very important and that he should read about the severe confinement of the chickens.

The last class change today at the University of Southern Mississippi, tiny though it was, showed me once again that I never know when somebody will be reached by the literature. As I leafleted the tiny trickle of students from the liberal arts building, a man sitting on the steps to whom I had handed an EI earlier came up to me, saying the booklet had motivated him to go veg. And who knows about all the other people during that final class change who stood around reading EI? Even if you only have an hour to leaflet, you can help end this cruelty.

-Victor Tsou, 2/16/07

I did my first day of college campus leafleting yesterday at San Francisco State, with three of us distributing over 800 Why Vegans and Even If You Like Meats in about 90 minutes. Students were unbelievably receptive. There were moments when we could barely keep up with the pace! This is a fulfilling way to spend an hour, directly reaching people one on one. Polite and eager to receive the information. It's really a kick.

-Susan Rattenbury, 2/15/07

On our mini-tour of Florida universities, we had some great conversations. For example:

Me: "Brochure Against Animal Cruelty?"

Him: "Wow, this stuff could really change a person's mind!"

Me: "Yeah, there's lots of widely unknown information in there."

Him: (Looking at a picture in the booklet) "Oh my gosh! This is definitely going to make me change!"

-Jodi Chemes, 2/14/07

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

• 3 weeks later...

(Mailing List Information, including unsubscription instructions,

is located at the end of this message.)

E-Newsletter, Mar. 7 , 2007 Notes from Vegan Outreach

YOWSA!

Already this term, Adopt a College activists have handed out over 141,000 booklets directly to college students on campuses across North America.

Overall distribution for 2007 has smashed through the 300,000 mark already! For reference, this is more than all of 2000 -- in fewer than 65 days! Thanks to everyone who has made this possible!

Jack Norris on Erik's Diner

Erik Marcus interviews Vegan Outreach's President Jack Norris, R.D., on the March 6 episode. See Vegan.com for the interview.

Product, Shop, & Nutrient of the Week

Bruce F: Johnny Rockets Streamliner -- best restaurant veggie burger -- is buy one, get one free for March with this coupon!

Jenna C: We should give a shout-out to the long-time Vegan Outreach supporters at Snooty Jewelry.

Jack Norris: Get your Iron here!

Send your nominees for Product of the Week to product (at) vegan outreach (dot) org; previous products can be found online.

Notes from All Over

VegDining to Expand Support

In December, VegDining will announce support valued at up to $75,000 US to promote the work of up to 50 vegetarian groups around the world, as determined by visitors to VegDining.com. To learn more and make a nomination, visit VegDining!

One Bite at a Time: A Beginner's Guide to Conscious Eating

excerpt: "I hear from a lot of people who wanted help in making the transition to a vegetarian (or mostly vegetarian) diet. Let's face it: If you've been eating meat all your life, this change can be daunting just to think about, let alone act on. Happily, it's easier than ever today to make the transition from meat-eater to vegetarian, and the following suggestions should help even the most die-hard carnivores make the switch."

More Great Victories!

And the hits just keep on coming!

• No more foie gras as Giant Eagle

• Nation's top veal producer: Crates are "inhumane and archaic"

Humans' Beef with Livestock: A Warmer Planet

excerpt: "'Livestock [which includes birds and pigs -ed] are one of the most significant contributors to today's most serious environmental problems,' Henning Steinfeld, senior author of the report, said when the FAO findings were released in November. Livestock are responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse-gas emissions as measured in carbon dioxide equivalent, reports the FAO. This includes 9 percent of all CO2 emissions, 37 percent of methane, and 65 percent of nitrous oxide. Altogether, that's more than the emissions caused by transportation."

Birds Plan

excerpt: "Clever scrub jays can plan on saving tasty treats for the future and do it in a way that shows they are truly planning ahead, British researchers reported on Wednesday."

Brad King and I tabled, showing factory farm footage and leafletting with Vegan Outreach materials on Lincoln Road Mall Sunday night. There were often crowds of people staying to watch Meet Your Meat on the video (at right) and asking questions. Many people seemed absolutely convinced that they wanted to change their diet. Very satisfying.

-Linda Bower, 3/5/07

At the University of Iowa today, one man came up to tell me that he grew up in a farming region of Iowa, and that he has always been against factory farming and such. Furthermore, he used to do construction work and quit the company he was working for on moral grounds once they got contracted out to build a pig farm full of gestation crates. He looked through the booklet and said that it was completely accurate, mentioning that he had seen several pigs with ruptures like the one in the EI booklet.

-Jon Camp, 2/27/07

I thought you might like to know that one of his converted vegans is in your [Anne Green's] class. The Why Vegan pamphlet really impressed me. Though [my vegan friend who gave me the booklet] brought up some very thoughtful points, I wasn't completely sold on why I should seriously entertain being vegan until I read the Why Vegan pamphlet. Thus my vegan days began.

When you said that Vegan Outreach is your husband's non-profit, I thought he might find it neat to know that his pamphlets made it all the way out to Reno, Nevada back in 1998/1999 and made an impression.

-VS, 2/27/07

Our Save the World club is going really well! I'm in charge of the club, and three teachers said it was a great idea. We're having a vegetarian week starting tomorrow at school -- we have hung up posters and we're going to make announcements about it. We're going to also be handing out flyers in front of the school as people go in. My friend and I put one of your brochures in each teacher's mailbox here at school. We have overheard so many teachers saying that this is such an amazing booklet, that they are glad that they got it because now they know what really goes on.

-MC, Elmhurst, NY, 3/3/07

At Pasadena City College, two girls walked past, telling me "No thanks." They walked a little ways and then stopped. I faintly heard one of them say, "But I really need to know." Then one of the girls came back to me and said, "I didn't want one because I know how sad it is. But, I really should read it. It's really something that I should know."

-Stewart Solomon, 2/28/07

I've always been against animal cruelty of any kind. Recently, I received one of your booklets -- I had no idea it was that brutal for them! It hurts me to know how humans could do that to an animal, without any remorse. Please send me booklets to give out to people, because just like I was impacted by a booklet, many people could face the reality of what's happening.

-TC, El Paso, TX, 3/6/07

I was given a copy of your brochure containing photos and descriptions of factory farming. Many of the sadistic practices were news to me. Now I'm trying to become a vegetarian with the help of your brochure.

-LP, Pittsburgh, PA 3/1/07

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

One Possible Future:

A Roadmap to Animal Liberation

-Matt Ball, March, 2007

With cruelty rampant in factory farms, and vegetarians currently a small minority, it is easy to dismiss as naive the hope for a vegetarian world. "My Uncle Dick hunts, and my cousin Jeb is always mocking me for being vegan -- you're crazy if you think they will ever change!"

These are legitimate concerns. However, it is nevertheless possible to achieve our goals -- and much more quickly than we imagine.

If we look at the long arc of history, we see how very much society has advanced in just the last few centuries. It was over 2,000 years ago that the ideals of democracy were first proposed in ancient Greece. But it was only during the eighteenth century that humanity saw the beginnings of a truly democratic system. Not until late in the nineteenth century was slavery abolished in the developed world. In all of human history, only in the last 100 years was child labor abolished in the developed word, child abuse criminalized, women given the vote, and minorities given equal rights.

It is hard to comprehend just how much society has changed in recent history. Prejudices we can hardly fathom today were completely accepted just decades ago. For example, if we read what was written and said about slavery -- fewer than 150 years ago -- the defenders were not just ignorant racists, but admired politicians, civic and religious leaders, and learned intellectuals. What is horrifying to us now was once respected.

However slowly the progress may feel, we are advancing at lightning speed compared to past social justice movements. A century ago, almost no animals received any protection whatsoever from abuse. Now, according to a recent Gallup poll, 96 percent want to see animals protected from abuse, 62% want strict laws regulating the treatment of farmed animals, and fully one-fourth believe that animals deserve "the exact same rights as people to be free from harm and exploitation." Until 1990, there was one ballot initiative to protect animals that had passed at a state level -- just one! Since 1990, animal advocates have passed more than 20, including several directly abolishing some of the worst abuses on factory farms.

Today the vast majority of people are now opposed to cruelty to animals; thus, the discussion now must focus on helping people see that eating meat violates their own principles. This effort is only just beginning. Twenty years ago, most animal advocacy in the U.S. was focused on fur and vivisection, nearly ignoring the ~99% of animals butchered for food. Only recently have more groups and individuals focused on this 99% by exposing the cruelty of factory farms and promoting vegetarianism. The first systematic national effort to reach the best audience – the Adopt a College program -- was launched fewer than four years ago!

In large part because of this shift in advocacy, factory farms -- unknown to most people only a decade or two ago -- are now commonly vilified as ethical (and environmental) abominations.

Twenty years ago, few people had heard the word "vegan." Mock meats and soymilk were rarely found in mainstream grocery stores. According to market research by Mintel, "Until the mid-1990s, change was slow in coming to the world of vegetarian foods, and many average consumers relegated 'vegetarian products' to a counter-cultural movement, not a mainstream trend." Today, even cousin Jeb doesn't need "vegan" explained to him; you can find soymilk, veggie burgers, and various other vegetarian convenience foods in most grocery stores. According to Mintel, "In 2003, the vegetarian foods market in the U.S. topped $1.6 billion in sales. This represents a constant-price growth rate of 111.3% since 1998." They estimate that the market was up to $2.8 billion last year.

Forbes reports: "[M]arket research shows that the number of consumers who lean toward some sort of vegetarianism is increasing across all age groups. The Vegetarian Resource Group estimates that 2.8% of adult Americans consider themselves vegetarian, up from 2.3% in a 2000 survey. Another 6% to 10% of the population said it was 'almost vegetarian' and another 20% to 25% are 'vegetarian inclined,' or intentionally reducing meat in their diet, according to VRG." According to Food Systems Insider: "Ten percent of 25- to 34-year-olds say they never eat meat."

As we continue our efforts, more vegetarian products arrive on the market every month. Having convenient vegetarian options available is vital, as it makes it easier for new people to try and stick with a compassionate diet. As more people sample faux-meats and other vegetarian products, competition will continue to increase the supply and varieties, improving quality and driving down prices. This cycle of increasing numbers of vegetarians and the increasing convenience of vegetarian eating is self-reinforcing. Essentially, the technology of vegetarian meats and other foods is both driven by and a driver of moral progress.

If we continue to expand our advocacy, the growth of vegetarianism will accelerate to a tipping point, where opposition to factory farms and vegetarianism become the "norm" among influential groups. Legislation, as it usually does, will continue to follow these evolving norms, and we’ll see more of animal agriculture's worst practices outlawed and abolished (something that has already begun). Corporate practices will also continue to adjust to the demands from an increasingly aware market.

At the same time, powerful economic forces will kick in because meat is ultimately inefficient. It is more efficient to eat plant foods directly, rather than feeding plant foods to animals and then eating the animals' flesh. Of course, people aren't going to substitute tofu for meat, but that is not the choice they'll be making. Food science has advanced such that the best vegetarian meats are able to satisfy even hard-core carnivores. Deli slices from Tofurky, burgers from Boca, Gimme Lean sausage and ground beef, Morningstar MealStarters, Gardenburger’s Riblets and Chik’n -- all of these dismiss the notion that giving up meat is necessarily a deprivation.

The faster the growth in people eating vegetarian, the faster vegetarian meats will improve in taste, become cheaper, and be found in far more places. (Compare a 2006 Boca Burger to a 1986 Nature Burger, and imagine how good a 2026 veggie burger will be!) In addition, in vitro meats become more viable each year. In meatro can also be more efficient than actual animal corpses, and can be engineered to have the same benefits as vegetarian meats: no cholesterol, good fats (omega-3s), no factory farms, no slaughterhouses, no manure ponds, no greenhouse gas emissions, no food poisoning, no mad cow, no avian flu. These technologies will also be accelerated by the growth of vegetarianism.

Our challenge now is to expand the vegetarian market by explaining to more meat eaters the reasons for choosing vegetarian meals, while exposing them to new -- though similar -- products. The more rapidly we do this, the sooner cruelty-free eating will be widespread.

After his first heart attack, Uncle Dick will shift over to vegetarian meats that have no cholesterol or saturated or trans fats and are high in omega-3s. Cousin Jeb’s second wife -- a vegetarian since getting an Even If You Like Meat booklet from Jon Camp in 2003 -- will use that as an excuse to only cook vegetarian meals -- and Jeb will hardly notice the difference! Their daughter Barbara will grow up as a vegan activist, and will oversee McDonald's shift to non-animal chicken in their sandwiches.

Despite all the current horror and continued suffering, if we take the long view and are willing to commit to the work that needs to be done, we should be deeply optimistic. Animal liberation can be the future; as The Economist concluded, "Historically, man has expanded the reach of his ethical calculations, as ignorance and want have receded, first beyond family and tribe, later beyond religion, race, and nation. To bring other species more fully into the range of these decisions may seem unthinkable to moderate opinion now. One day, decades or centuries hence, it may seem no more than 'civilized' behavior requires."

With our efforts, de facto animal liberation could be achieved with a whimper, not a bang. Change will not come by revolution, but through person-by-person outreach progressing hand-in-hand with advances in technology, leading slowly but inexorably to a new norm that, to most people, hardly seems different. But an unfathomable amount of suffering will be prevented.

It is up to us to make this happen!

Spanish Booklet Now Available!

Thanks to the efforts and support of several translators, Lauren "Design Goddess" Panos, and Ingrid Newkirk, Vegan Outreach now has copies of the new Spanish booklet available.

You can see a pdf online and order copies via the Vegan Outreach catalog.

Morningstar Campaign Continues

If you haven't already, you can still contact Morningstar Farms regarding their use of eggs. You can learn more at http://www.morningstar-egg-facts.com/, or go right to the contact form at http://www.morningstar-egg-facts.com/contact-morningstar/. Please pass this along to every compassionate person you know -- thanks!

Baltimore-Area Alert

Vegan Outreach's polite young man Jon Camp will be tabling at the Animal Aid Concert in Baltimore on Sunday, March 25th. If you'll be attending this, please stop by and say hello to him!

Product of the Week

Joe Espinosa: My suggestion for product of the week is Chilli Man brand vegetarian chili. Flavorful enough that I use a can of chili with an equal amount of my own cooked beans (chick peas, black beans, kidney beans, or pintos) for a hearty meal that allows me to brave the tough Chicago winter. I am able to find it among the other canned chili at Jewel (grocery story chain in Illinois).

Notes from All Over

Put to the Test, Vegan is Best

Excerpt: "Which causes more greenhouse gas emissions, rearing cattle* or driving cars? This question was posed in a recent report published by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, which concluded the livestock sector “generates more greenhouse gas emissions as measured in CO2 equivalent -- 18 percent -- than transport.”

*While many news outlets equated "livestock" in the FAO report only with cattle, livestock includes all animals raised for food.

One Take on the "V" Words

Excerpt: "'The word ‘vegan’ tends to scare people -- and to exclude people,' said Gargiulo, a retired competitive snowboarder and vegan for 16 years. ... 'From a marketing point of view, trying to attract just those people would give you a tiny market, so it makes sense to broaden the appeal by not necessarily proclaiming your veganness,' said Denver restaurant consultant John Imbergamo. ... At least half of American adults strive to eat at least two or three meatless meals per week, according to another poll by the trade group."

The Tofu Way: An Increase in Compassionate Eating

Excerpt: "'For me, the current situation of the food industry -- specifically the animal food industry -- is something I don’t feel that I can support, and this is a concrete way that I can boycott it,' said Blizzard. 'After the Interim class, I am what I would consider a strict vegetarian. I don't eat meat, I don't buy any more leather or animal products, I don't use products that have been tested on animals and I don’t eat eggs or drink milk, unless it’s a rare occasion.'"

Received by Suzanne Haws: I'm curious to know if you were the one passing out Vegan Outreach literature at Contra Costa College last fall. If so, I want to thank you so much for taking the time to do that. It really opened my eyes to the amount of cruelty that exists, and my husband and I have made drastic changes to the way we eat and live...all for the better!

Today I offered EIs to a group of high schools students, and they replied collectively, "We've gotten them already." But then one girl turned toward me as they rushed by and replied, "That leaflet changed my life!"

-Stewart Solomon, 3/14/07

A while ago I got pamphlets from you guys for my Veganism speech in my college class. The speech went over well. After I was done, I had to answer many questions, some nice and some not so nice. All and all it went well and I just wanted to let you guys know that without your help it wouldn't have. The pamphlets really went a long way of backing what I had said. Thank you for your organization and everything you guys do.

-Khris M, 3/8/07

I had a number of uplifting encounters today. For example: A guy and two of his friends stood with me while looking at the brochure and proceeded to ask me questions about the pictures. As I was telling them they were saying things like "That's horrible! What am I supposed to eat now?!" I gave them GCFEs.

-Jodi Chemes, 3/7/07

My favorite exchange today:

Brochure against animal cruelty?

Student: Okay, sure. (after a beat) Hey, wait, I don't want this -- it's going to make me stop eating meat.

Well, that's the idea.

Student: (flipping through the brochure) Eh... okay... I'll be having the veggie burger for lunch.

Last week, in the below-zero wind chill at Springfield Technical Community College, I had another interesting exchange:

Brochure to help animals?

Student A: (apprehensively) Well... I don't think--

Student B: (to student A) I got one of those earlier, you have to take it. It's about animal cruelty.

Student A: Really? Okay. (takes a brochure)

Student B: (to me) Thanks for doing this! Have a good day!

Also last week, right before I knocked off for the day at UMass, Amherst, a young male student came up to me and told me that he had received a brochure last semester. "I went vegetarian after reading it," he confided, "and I wanted you to know that you guys truly do make a difference."

-Jenna Calabrese, 3/14/07

Distribution Maintains Torrid Pace

Despite terrible weather across much of the country, Adopt A College activists have handed more than 200,000 booklets directly to students so far this year! This is already more than the entire Spring '06 semester. Overall, Vegan Outreach has distributed 400,000+ booklets so far in 2007 -- also a record pace!

On March 26, full-time High School teacher Stewart Solomon handed out a total of 3,450 Even If You Like Meat booklets at Cal State Los Angeles and Cal Poly Pomona -- a new individual single-day college leafleting record. For the semester, Stewart has already handed over 20,000 booklets directly to students.

Update from Jon Camp

After being on the road for 68 days, I'm now home. With the help of others, 47 schools were leafleted on this tour, 42,064 booklets were handed out, and a little less than 9,000 miles were put on my car.

As always, I give my most sincere thanks to those who housed me, leafleted with me, and who help fund this work. I'm very much heartened by your generosity and I really strive to make sure it goes as far for the animals as possible.

If you haven't already, you can still contact Morningstar Farms regarding their use of eggs. You can learn more here, or go right to the contact form. Please pass this along to every compassionate person you know -- thanks!

Product of the Week

Susan Kline: The Department store Kohls is now carrying a line of skin care that is vegan. The line is called "Grassroots." Their formulas "do not contain animal ingredients, artificial colors or fragrances and they are not tested on animals."

Notes from All Over

The arc bends...

Another corporation follows the trend toward the abolition of the worst factory farming practices:

"In what animal welfare advocates are describing as a 'historic advance,' Burger King, the world's second-largest hamburger chain, said yesterday that it would begin buying eggs and pork from suppliers that did not confine their animals in cages and crates."

...but there is still much work to do.

Vegan Outreach supports the abolition of crates and cages because we recognize that billions of animals continue to be raised and butchered for food while we continue our advocacy. We want these individuals to suffer as little as possible. But this article -- "Film Shows Neglect of Animals Sold under Ethical Label" -- is an example of why we focus our limited time and resources on promoting a cruelty-free diet:

"Popular ethical food labels which claim to reassure consumers of high standards of animal welfare are criticized tonight in a TV programme which shows shocking scenes of neglect on some farms including ducks being punched, kicked and thrown around by staff. Among the brands singled out is the Freedom Food scheme, launched by Britain's largest animal welfare organization, the RSPCA, and used to certify meat products sold at a premium through Britain's main supermarket chains."

Today, I handed out 600 booklets at a High School Tech & Science Fair. Two teenage boys came up to me and one said: "You're awesome! I saw everyone reading them inside."

-Casey Constable, 3/23/07

I was handed one of your pamphlets today as I was walking out of class. I just want to tell you guys that this is BY FAR the BEST pamphlet I have read on animal cruelty in factory farming. You have a realistic approach and an informative attitude with just the right amount of shock value added in. You guys put the focus on "reducing suffering" rather than forcing people into an extreme, and cursing them if they don't do it. "Years worth of eating less meat and eggs will prevent more suffering than a brief stint as a vegan, so it's important you take an approach you can sustain." This is my favorite quote. Thanks for having brains in your heads and approaching this the right way.

-AD, 3/20/07

Leafleting at MDC today, I had some great exchanges. Twice, a couple of people said "Oh, I can't believe this, we were just talking about this!" Another lady said she had already gone vegetarian after receiving one of these booklets. She wanted more for friends. I met another young girl who went vegan three days ago. At one point, there were conversations between strangers who had received the leaflet, while I continued to leaflet in the vicinity. Leafleting for Vegan Outreach is the most rewarding volunteer work to reduce suffering in the world.

-Linda Bower, 3/21/07

Not an April Fools Joke!

A very generous donor is seeking to expand booklet distribution and has agreed to a matching donation challenge for the month of April. All one-time donations marked "Matching" will be doubled. The initial amount of a new quarterly recurring donation will be tripled, and the initial amount of a new monthly recurring donation will be quadrupled!

At right, Matt Ball leaflets at West Virginia University; photo by Jon Camp.

For those of you who already make recurring donations, the amount of any increase of quarterly donations will be tripled, and the amount of any increase of monthly donations will be quadrupled! (New recurring donations can be set up on-line; to increase a current recurring donation, please send us an e-mail.) Up to $20,000 will be matched.

You can donate securely on-line.

Checks may be mailed to:

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238-8492

All donations must be market "Matching" and dated in April to qualify. Thanks!

Speaking of Distribution...

By the time you read this, Adopt a College distribution will have reached a quarter-million booklets handed directly to students and faculty on college campuses across North America. This is nearly 100,000 more than at this time last year!

For the first three months of 2007, overall distribution passed 425,000 booklets -- an annual pace of 1.7 million!

Attention VA Activists!

Jon Camp will be doing a mini college leafleting tour next week throughout Richmond, Norfolk, and Williamsburg. If you'd like to help leaflet with him, please email jon (at) veganoutreach (dot) org.

If you haven't already, you can still contact Morningstar Farms regarding their use of eggs. You can learn more here, or go right to the contact form. Please pass this along to every compassionate person you know -- thanks!

Product of the Week

Lauren: Wildwood's Organic Unsweetened Plain Soyogurt. I love to add soy yogurt to smoothies!

Notes from All Over

The Industry's Take

Excerpt: "Food producers who produce dairy, meat and poultry are facing a significant threat from animal activists opposed not only to certain production practices but to farm and food animal production.... [P]roducers were challenged by animal activists in the 1980s and '90s but succeeded in putting aside attacks then because animal activism was a fractured, leaderless movement of some 150 groups. Today, it has coalesced into a movement with direction and very well-funded strategies, he said, pointing specifically to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).... Kopperud said the animal rights agenda is clear: 'no animal use for any purpose whatsoever. This must be understood. There is no middle ground.'"

The Onion's Take

"Burger King announced that it would begin buying pork and eggs from farms that do not cage or crate their animals. What do you think?" See our web edition for the link.

I recently received one of your pamphlets on my way to a college class and was highly intrigued. Though an admitted lover of meat, I am now convinced that I will be able to live a meat-free lifestyle. Thank you so much for opening my eyes and reaching out to the community at large.

-Jessica C, San Lorenzo, CA, 3/27/07

After I handed a brochure to a woman, she told the 5 people she was walking with: "I got this last week and showed everyone in my house it, so they could see what the animals go through!"

-Aashish Bhimani, 3/28/07

I joined Brad King again to table at the Lincoln Road Mall. We have a video showing Meet Your Meat and we leaflet. One young lady came up to me in tears with a Why Vegan in her hand. I asked her if she was vegan, she said, "Well, I am now. I am from Southern California and I have a lot of friends who are just vegetarian but not vegan. I plan to go back home and show them all of this."

Brad also had these exchanges:

1. "No, we don't want a Why Vegan -- thanks. We were here a few weeks ago and we're vegan now. We'd just like to pick up some vegetarian starter kits for our friends."

2. "No thanks. I've just brought my son to see your video, so that he understands why we don't eat meat any more."

3. "We don't need a flyer. We're vegan. Well, we were here a few weeks ago and what else could we do?"

-Linda Bower, 4/3/07

Vegan Outreach

P.O. Box 38492

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

• 3 months later...

I haven't been posting these lately but thought I'd include this one:

Still Too Legit to Quit!

Without schools in session, June and July used to be relatively slow months for Vegan Outreach. Not anymore!

With leafleters out every day at the Warped Tour and other concerts, walkathons, summer festivals, and other venues, Vegan Outreach booklets are being directly handed to thousands of new people every day.

So far this summer, more than 100,000 booklets have been handed out at 116 non-school events across North America. Thanks so much to everyone who has made this possible!

Product of the Week

Several people wrote in to nominate Parma Zaan, by Vegetarian Express -- "just delicious on bread for a yummy cheese bread, or on steamed veggies, or pasta and marinara sauce."

Jenna Calabrese: My friend Drew and some of the other fantastic vegans have begun a do-it-yourself wallet-making project called SoyWallets. They are hand-crafting wallets out of empty Silk cartons and donating to Vegan Outreach. They also have instructions to help you make your own.

Notes from All Over

Loudest Voice = Majority Opinion

From PsyBlog: "Familiarity doesn't breed contempt at all, it breeds attraction. Making your voice heard is the only way to let others know what you think. Otherwise they will think you agree with the loudest person.

"Similarly, and more worryingly, when an opinion is repeatedly broadcast at us by the same organization -- think of a particular media conglomerate or an advertiser -- we're likely to come to believe it represents the general opinion. That's despite the fact it is analogous to the same person repeating themselves over and over again.

"So, next time James spouts off, I'll make a point of speaking up. And make sure I repeat myself. Several times." Read on-line.

An Ambivalent Vegetarian

Via DawnWatch.com, from Self magazine: "Of course, I can continue to live a conflicted life, and no one will judge me but me. But though I crave resolution, so far, I am unable (or unwilling) to make the sacrifice. What does this say about me? Am I incapable of exercising empathy when it's inconvenient? Which leaves me to contemplate a particular irony: It is not other people but animals who are forcing me to consider the depth and breadth of my humanity. Every time I pick up a menu." Read more on-line and participate in the forums.

From my friend Ben Doress, who is in the process of going vegan:

"One of my close friends who LOVES eating meat was asking me why I am going vegan. I told him, plus I gave him some literature that Vegan Outreach sent me. He later told me, 'I am thinking of becoming a vegetarian.' I could not believe it."

-Jenna Calabrese, 7/5/07

At the Warped Tour event yesterday in Vancouver, BC, Nick and I handed out 3,000 Vegan Outreach leaflets. Just as we were packing up our luggage carts to go back to the car at the end of the day, I heard one girl say to her friend, "I want to go vegetarian. Hey -- let's go vegetarian together!"

-Suzanne Haws, 7/4/07

Leafleting at the "Last Thursday" event in Portland today, I had a lot of great encounters, including a young couple who said that they had an Even If booklet on their fridge and all of their friends read it when they visit.

Felix, a 10 month old vegan baby, was there looking super cute in a little cow outfit.

I overheard a man stop by and say "She's not vegan, is she?" Felix -- like the other vegan babies I know -- is really happy, healthy, and advanced (she's already walking). It was cool that she was there. I overheard a woman with a toddler talking to Felix's mom for a while. It sounded like the woman was interested in feeding her child a vegan diet, too. She took a handful of literature.

-Jessica Dadds, 6/28/07

40,000+ Booklets Handed Out at Texas Warped Tours!!

Eugene, Liza, and I -- with help from Kate and Jennifer -- handed over 40,000 Why Vegan and Even If You Like Meat booklets at the Warped Tour events in San Antonio (Friday, 12,500), Dallas (Saturday, 15,000), and Houston (Monday, ~13,000). With the help, we covered the area pretty thoroughly this year, so very few escaped without facing reality. The opening lines that seemed to stimulate the most interest with this younger crowd were "Info on animal abuse" and "Animal Rights info." Working the half a mile long lines before the gates opened worked great, because they have nothing better to do but read the booklets. Many were just sitting down with their circle of friends, so it was good to give one or two to each group of kids. They all had to share, making them scarce, thus highly demanded, with only a couple on the ground afterwards.

Many were looking them over while waiting in line and looked ed, sad and upset about factory farming, so I am confident may of them will soon change. A number of people came up and told me there were very interested, and many recalled the booklets from last year. Eugene commented that he overheard the kids talking to each other as I was passing out the pamphlets, and that he heard lots and lots of them mention to their friends that this pamphlet is the reason they are vegetarian.

We were fortunate that rain delayed the Houston event a day, since we were beat after the long days (9am-11pm leafleting in the heat) and driving overnight to the next tour site. The delay also allowed us to hit the American Idol concert, where Eugene and I handed out 800 Why Vegans.

-Casey Constable, 7/17/07

Link of the Week -- Anger, Humor, and Advocacy

excerpt: "We believe that having a sense of humor is in the animals' best interest, because not only does it make our example more appealing, but it aids in avoiding burnout. In the cumulative ~50 years we've been active, Jack, Anne, and I have known literally hundreds of activists who have given up -- many of whom have even gone back to eating meat! On the other hand, the most successful activists we've known almost always have a sustaining sense of humor.

"To have any change occur in the world, we need to convince others to think beyond themselves. We must be willing to do the same. Just as we want others to look beyond the short-term satisfaction of following habits and traditions, we need to move past our anger to effective advocacy (e.g., moving from yelling and chanting to constructive educational outreach). If I claim that I can’t be happy -- that I am a slave to my situation–how can I expect others to be able to act differently?

"As long as there is conscious life on Earth, there will be suffering. The question becomes what to do with the existence each of us is given. We can choose to add our own fury and misery to the rest, or we can set an example by simultaneously working constructively to alleviate suffering while leading joyous, meaningful, fulfilled lives." Read more.

Products & Recipe of the Week

Cheri: Yves bologna slices -- perfect for when you want to just eat a bologna sandwich with lettuce and mustard for the simple lunch from childhood.

Jack Norris, RD, has added a new vegan EPA (essential fatty acid) supplement to his list.

Longtime member and friend Kathryn Bulver sent in her red and green potato salad recipe -- perfect for summer gatherings, or with your bologna sandwich! Also note the other great recipes on that page.

I recently came across one of your booklets at a concert in Texas. Since then, I will not touch animal products -- your efforts have been effective. I would, furthermore, like to help reach out into the community and aid the cause.

-NS, 7/16/07