Heart Rate Monitor - Monitoring Heart Rate, HRmax & HRre

After having been on this board for around 1.5 years I finally started doing something about my health.

I had purchased a Polar F60 Watch & Strap HRM last year but never ended up using it.

I am hoping to get more regular with working out. I do hope that some people would help me make a workout plan & diet given their extensive knowledge & experience.

Within the last week I started using the HRM for my Cardio on the Elliptical machine in my apartment complex to go as per Heart Rate.

I used this page as a benchmark to put together an Excel file that allows me to calculate certain things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate#Maximum_heart_rate

Since, my goal at the time is to lose fat I am going with the 60-70% of HRmax for a range.

I will post more details about this as I make some measurements and get a chance. Any experiences from people who have worked out using Heart Rate Monitors would be nice to have.

Thanks.

I started using a heart rate monitor when working out just over a year ago. I absolutely love it, I am so dependent on it I feel like I can't workout without it! It really helps because I tend to push myself too hard and I workout in zones that really don't do me much benefit. But knowing where my heart rate is at has made a huge difference in acheiving my goals. I also highly recommend the book Heart Zone Training by Sally Edwards.

I started using a heart rate monitor when working out just over a year ago. I absolutely love it, I am so dependent on it I feel like I can't workout without it! It really helps because I tend to push myself too hard and I workout in zones that really don't do me much benefit. But knowing where my heart rate is at has made a huge difference in acheiving my goals. I also highly recommend the book Heart Zone Training by Sally Edwards.

A book on heart zone training? ow! I am a knowledge junkie.. especially on these forums. Everytime I read an article posted by Gorilla & BigB I love it.. but it racks my brains.

Its so much information I dont know what to and not to eat anymore.. Overwhelmed. Someone says Tofu / Soy is good.. another one says not.. then theres RAW diet, theres ENZYME diet..

PS: Can you post a summary of your learnings from that book? I am just being lazy . I've got so many things to read on my shelf.. and never get to them.

Heart Zone Training

by Sally Edwards

http://www.rungearrun.com/resources/salzone.php

If you don't know your maximum heart rate, use the 220 minus your age formula.

Cardio Exercise Zones

warm up 50-60% of Max

easy exercise 60-70% of Max

aerobic exercise 70-80% of Max

anerobic threshold 80-90% of Max

max heart rate 90-100% of Max

Edited by Jessifly

Thanks for the post Jessify . I read it and it confirms the Heart Rate related reading i have been doing online.

My goal is to figure out my HRmax, HRrest and hit 60-70% HRmax zone for maximal fat burn. Another thing I remember reading somewhere was that HRmax would change periodically depening on how fit you get.

How often should someone recalibrate their HRmax & HRrest?

UPDATE INFORMATION:

The Wiki link & Polar website talked about measuring Resting Heart Rate HRrest in the mornings when you get up from sleep. Measure on 3 days and take the average as your HRrest.

I tried measuring it today, its funny how it kept fluctuating from 78-79-81-82-85.

Is there any way I could get it to stabilize? Its funny how the minimal / insignificant amount of effort of putting the strap around my chest or holding the wrist monitor in my hand was causing the kind of fluctuation. Or maybe I was simple doing it wrong.

Any ideas?

Well, if you are using the 220 minus your age formula for max HR then of course it won't change with your fitness, only with your birthdays But otherwise you can get this tested at a fitness testing facility or do your own test. (at a testing facility the bring you to your max HR, it is the most accurate method but not recommended unless you are in excellent shape. The less intense self tests are less precise than that but a better bet than the mathematical formula.)

1. the walk test

Go to track and walk your normal comfortable walking style as fast as you can for 4 continuous and evenly paced laps. (don't race-walk or use huge arm swings). The first laps will put your heart rate at a plateau, on the 4th lap determine your average HR with your monitor. Add to that number one of the following:

-if you are in poor shape add 40 bpm.

-if avereage shape add 50 bpm

-if excellent shape add 60 bpm

or 2. The step test

First warm up then go to any normal step about 8 inches. Step up and down in a 4 count sequence of right foot up, left foot up, right down,left down. Each time you move a foot up or down counts as one step. Count "up, up, down,down" for one set with twenty sets to the minute. Do not speed up the pace, keep it regular. The first two minutes bring your HR to a plateau,measure your average during the third minute. Add one of the following numbers to that average:

-poor shape add 55 bpm

-average shape add 65 bpm

-excellent shape add 75 bpm

I don't know if yours does, but my monitor has a built in test that measures your HR and averages is while telling you what range to bring your HR to at varying intervals then it determines max HR from the averages, although I personally don't rely on it because it seems like there is too much room for error.

Testing at a testing facility or self-tests are the best ways to determine HRmax, because according to Sally Edwards the mathematical formula may not be accurate. Max HR is genetically determined and is relatively a fixed number which only declines in age with those who are relatively sedentary. It is also affected by some drugs, it can vary greatly among people of the same age, a higher max doesn't always predict a more fit person and a lower max doesn't always predict a less fit person.

The resting HR definately changes with your fitness level. And yes, to my knowledge it is best to take the reading first thing when you wake up before you even get out of bed and take the average over several days, like you said. I have also had trouble doing this and feeling that my reading is accurate. One idea I have but haven't tried it yet, is to wear the chest strap to bed with the watch on so that when I wake up I can take the reading immediately before putting any effort into putting it on. But one I don't know if it will stay put through the night, and two its kind of a battery waste

As far as how often, Max HR shouldn't change if you have a precise measurement so no need to recheck that. But you should regularly measure your improvement in fitness with a self test:

Do a 1 mile walk, 1 mile run or 3 mile bike ride. After warming up bring your heart rate to a mid-point range (zone 2 or 3 depending on your fitness) and hold it steady at that HR for the duration of the test. As you become fitter the time the test takes will decrease, if you become less fit it will take longer.

Also regularly check your resting heart rate (about once a month). As you become more fit this number will go down. If it ever goes higher by more than 5 beats in a short time frame that means your body is stressed and you should adjust your workout.

• 2 months later...

I love my HRM... It has all I need ! From swim, bike and running.

It's the best piece of computer I've ever had while I'm training. I do mix it up by not brining it with me. So I can work extra harder without being dependent about going over my max HR. I consider doing this while I'm up for a next race.

I know your HR doesn't matter while you're racing. You just giver then in hopes that you'll beat that person in front of you.

Jessifly, what do you like to do?

Jessifly, what do you like to do?

I always use my HR monitor for my cardio workouts (I like elliptical mostly, but sometimes bike or treadmill). I also wear it to yoga classes and while weight training. I never remember but I'd like to wear it on my hikes.. I'd be curious what the readings would be!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone try to use the OwnZone thing? How effective is it figuring out your ZONES?

I did a 15-20 min run at around 185-190+ HR while the damn thing put my own zone to a much lower pace.

What should I be doing to get optimal FAT BURN from the EFFORTs that I put in?

Fat burning hr rate is between 120-130 beats per min... keep that HR from 2-3 hrs...Or longer.