How to dispose of bad rice

Clever Name

OK, we don't throw rice at weddings, because the birdies eat it and it swells in their tummies, and they die a painful death.

So what do I do when there are bugs in my rice and I need to dispose of it? I mean, if I throw it in the trash, it goes to a landfill, and don't birdies like to pick at food garbage there?

There is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much rice to cook before disposal...leaving aside the question of cooking any bugs. Or I suppose I could cook one batch a day, but it would take maybe a couple of months before it'd be gone. We bought a giant bag at Smart and Final...

What kind of rice are you buying that has bugs in it?

Why, Dr. Buggington's f-ANT-astic rice, of course! Is there a problem with that?

andgbr suggested burying it...unfortunately, I know and love my four dogs too well to do that. Thank you, though for a creative idea I hadn't even thought of!

I ended up triple-bagging it, throwing it away, and saying a prayer for the birds...well, my husband did, anyhow. It was his rice, dangit! He noted that at the bottom of the storage bin, the rice was moist and totally caked on. I'm not sure how that happened, but I suspected moisture might be an issue because we were storing it above the dishwasher, to the right of the sink, and to the left of the washer-dryer. The bin has now been disinfected and washed with hot, soapy water and is drying. We now have a location for it on the baker's rack, away from water sources. Conversely, we moved the rice cooker and the crock pot from the baker's rack to where the bean and rice bins were before...all the moisture is now in the same place in the kitchen, as are all the bulk dry foods. There were never any bugs in the beans, though...I will make sure my DH is measuring the rice first and THEN the water when he makes his rice.

Please send thoughts and prayers the way of the birds. The bugs were just multiplying more and more every day and I couldn't wait around to figure out a bird-proof solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I had no idea that rice could do that to birds. Duly noted.. thanks for the heads up.

We had a batch of rice from the local farmer's market develop a lot of lovely little bugs in it (we bought it before we realized their storage methods for dry products aren't the best - everything had an off taste to it). The creepy part is that means the eggs for the bugs were already in the rice. Yuck. I wonder how many bug eggs I've eaten in rice

From a vegan perspective, I don't worry about bug eggs...I guess I'm an "as long as they don't bother me or my loved ones" vegan, which is why I'll slap mosquitoes, step on roaches, and treat my doggies for ticks and fleas. But a chicken never intruded on my life. (Unlike Peter in Family Guy.) Of course, from an "ugh, gross!" perspective, I'd rather not eat bug eggs. That's just one of my many discriminating standards!

From a vegan perspective, I don't worry about bug eggs...I guess I'm an "as long as they don't bother me or my loved ones" vegan, which is why I'll slap mosquitoes, step on roaches, and treat my doggies for ticks and fleas. But a chicken never intruded on my life. (Unlike Peter in Family Guy.) Of course, from an "ugh, gross!" perspective, I'd rather not eat bug eggs. That's just one of my many discriminating standards!

I agree with you 100%. Well, except for the stepping on roaches thing. When I see one, I stomp and tell it to go to where it came from. We're cool as long as it stays on the floor. And it doesn't bring back friends.

I'm just perturbed about eating bug eggs because it's nasty. Yuck.