How to get bigger arms?

I've lately really been wanting to put some muscle on my arms. Looking at them, they seem pretty devoid of it. I don't actually care so much about how they look, but I would like to be able to lift more through the day, mostly for practical reasons (I dropped my motorcycle today and had to wait for someone else to pick it up for me. I'd like to be able to do that myself; that's just one example). Although some muscle definition would be nice.

Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises for building up arms (most preferably easier ones...I don't think I can lift too much with 'em) ? My legs are in fairly good shape from bicycling and walking every day, but having strong legs with toothpick arms just isn't good enough.

You should pick up the bike with legs more than arms anyway. But if you want some stronger arms and don't plan on working much else I suggest getting adjustable dumbbells and simply doing curls. If you want to work on shoulders or anything else you can do that with the dumbells too.

I disagree with potter. Id recommend doing pullups(palms in) and primarily focus on pulling with bi's rather than back(that means no swinging).
Chin-ups are great because you are pulling your own bodyweight. If you do hammer or bicep curls do them to a 2 count lifting and lowering the weight to avoid swinging.

Problem is this can make for bad habits. You may never be able to do a chin up correctly if you get in the habit of using mostly biceps.

Surely picking up a motorcycle is more like a deadlift? So you would need strong back, shoulders, legs and arms to do it.

I would suggest building up your whole body rather than just your arms...the only 'real world' activity I've found that just seems to hit my biceps is carrying boxes in front of me at chest height, and to get it there you have to 'clean' it if it's on the floor (back and legs needed there) or maneuver it off a shelf if it's at chest height (shoulders and back for that one? not sure).

Problem is this can make for bad habits. You may never be able to do a chin up correctly if you get in the habit of using mostly biceps.

True, but he didnt ask about anything else.. haha. Ive found that doing countless reps and sets with curls on bi's really did nothing formy bi's even with the strictest form. Thats why I have converted to pullups and chinups.

when I do a chinup(palms in) I keep my body totally straight so my bis hit most of the load.

My biceps actually grow pretty fast doing anything. I lifted for the first time in over a year around late August with Daywalker last year and my arms grew about 1.5 inches in two weeks. Then I stopped again but I could probably do that again.

My biceps actually grow pretty fast doing anything. I lifted for the first time in over a year around late August with Daywalker last year and my arms grew about 1.5 inches in two weeks. Then I stopped again but I could probably do that again.

All depends on the person. Mine are the opposite! My triceps on the other hand is a little bit different. I can get those suckers to grow quick!