Vegan Novice

VeganNovice

Hi my name is Daniel. And i joined this forum for a couple of reasons which I'llget to later. But a little about my history. I was a very unhealthy person until about 4 1/2 years ago when I joined a gym . Until that point the only exercise I took was walking to get from one place to another and I smoked for ten years. The last 4 1/2 years have been a ral learning curve during which I've stopped smoking, started exercising on a a regular basis and become extremely concerned with what I eat. Everyone has commented on the different. My skin used to be a greyish yellow becuase I didn't eat properly and smoked too much. Now I look very healthy. A few months ago I also decided to become a vegetarian and now I've decided to become vegan. I need any advice people can give me about diet, in particular how much fat, protein and carbohydrate I should eat. I'm pretty well informed about the nutritional properties of various foods but have never paid enough attention to the proportions of protein, fat and carbohydrate I eat. Also I need some tips on really maximising my potential when I work out. Even though my body definitely has improved in shape and I have greater muscle mass, I often feel like I really haven't achieved as much I could have done at the gym and I really want to change that now. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Also how much cardio should I do and what kinds?

Edited by VeganNovice

Welcome to the forum What are your ultimate goals strength/stamina wise??? Its hard to know your potential in a specific thing unless you know what you've done before...how fast you progress...how hard your willing to work and how much time you can train for pretty much anything.

Well what I really would like is to bulk up. I found at the beginning that my strength improved pretty rapidly. I move onttobigger weights fairly often but i guess in the last few years I have kind of stopped challenging myself. Only recently have I increased my weights havign stayed on the same ones for a year or so. Yet even though I got stronger I didn't really get that much bigger. I'm not sure whther this is genetics or diet. I kind of feel like I'm starting out again. Like I really need to shake everything up. I can afford to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and spend about an hour lifting weights. With some cardio at the end.