Where to donate goods in Portland for this season?

robert

Hey everyone,

I want to donate a ton of stuff, books, clothing, toys, etc. this holiday season.

Where is the best place to donate in the Portland area to ensure it gets to the homeless, poor, or people who could really benefit from it?

I don't want to give stuff to Goodwill who will re-sell things or anything like that. I want to give directly to an organization that will give 100% of what I donate to those in need.

andesuma suggested some churches but didn't give me specific names.

What about the Mission downtown?

Please give me some info. I leave town on the 14th and want to make a couple of drop-offs before then.

Thanks!

Robert,

If you pick up a StreetRoots newspaper (the co-op on Alberta has someone selling them) there are places listed in the classified section. The vender gets 70 cents of the proceeds and the paper is typically sold for $1. I haven't read the new edition but the prior edition (focusing of food) was really good.

Thanks again DV, I really appreciate it and will look into it.

I saw a big donation truck in Eugene yesterday. I'd like to find something like that in Portland. It seemed that 100% of what they were receiving was going to those in need, and I was happy about that.

I have a lot to give, and I'm open to even more suggestions, but I will look into DV's suggestions too.

Thanks.

Tis the Season! Changeluya!

Thanks love!

I'm looking for places to donate to year round as well. I'm shifting gears a bit to go out of my way to help humans as well.

Certain issues like sweatshop labor, especially involving children, are becoming more and more of a focus point. I'm adjusting the way I shop, who I choose to support, who I can help, etc.

Thanks for all the info so far.