Non-Vegan Beers+White Wines (Isinglass), Guiness, etc...

Lean and Green

GROSS

I am sure that many of you probably already know of this and I believe I may have heard of it sometime long ago but I can't remember. If I didn't know, I am sure that there are others.

Not that I am promoting drinking but if you do, it is important to know what you are consuming, read on..

I found this in a vegetarian times article from march 07' that was laying around in the house.

ISINGLASS - it is a protein from fish air bladders used in stouts and cask-conditioned ales to clear away cloudy residue. Brewers aren't required to list it on labels because only trace amounts remain in the finished product.

Found in: Most British or Irish beers, premium white wines (particularly those from Germany) and some American chardonnays.

Culprits: Guiness Stout, Bass Ale (Foster's Lager), Boddingtons Ale, Some Sam Adams' special cask-conditioned brews.

Veg-friendly alternatives: most keg, canned or bottled beers.

This site has a complete list of wines and beers and tells you if they are vegan or not:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan/Vegetarian_beers.html#Abbey

Hmm, not sure about some of the facts here. German wine cannot legally use Isinglass, so those are always safe bets (and cheap and good too!). Apart from german wines, virtually all wines of any quality have either Isinglass or some egg ingredient. Your best bet for wines is to make your own using Sparkaloid (an agar product) as the clarifying agent.

I've commented on this before in another link but here goes again.

Many websites (for specific vineyards) will describe any fining or filtering process they use for their wines. Fining and filtering is used to get rid of "off" tastes so a good quality vineyard will many times not fine or filter its wines. Relying on internet lists will leave out about 90% of the vegan wines available because there's no market for vineyards listing their wines as vegan.

I have a few favorite vineyards here in Oregon that produce unfined wines. While it's great that I can actually talk to the wine producer here, most of you can too by sending off an email, making a phone call or checking out a wine's website (if they provide the details).