The most vegan-friendly country

robert

What do you think is the most vegan-friendly country and why?

I've always said England because there seems to be more vegans from there than anywhere else and they are so active in community events promoting veganism.

I've heard Austria has the best laws protecting animals.

The United States has some very impressive vegan sections such as the West Coast and parts of the East Coast, but as whole, the US may be one of the most destructive countries and on a large scale not-so-vegan-friendly.

I never thought of Germany as being vegan friendly (I've been there), but I seem to see more vegans from Germany than anywhere else other than the UK and the US.

What are your thoughts on this? I'd be pretty interested to hear.

Thanks,

Big Rob

Word, I thought Germany was full of sausagey-badness, but there's loads more peeps from Germany. But this is a bodybuilding site. Maybe there is just a greater cross-over of veganism and bodybuilding in Germany than in other countries. I think that the number of vegetarian restaurants here in England, and the way the food is labelled, and the amount of substitutes is pretty good, compared to what I've heard about other countries. But non-vegans are generally not friendly towards veganism, so in that respect it's not a 'vegan-friendly country' as such. I don't see many people from England on this site, but again, England is a small country too, so you have to factor that into it.

England is a small country too, so you have to factor that into it.

50 million isn't that small - I'd class England as a medium sized country.

It is very easy to be vegan here in the UK, especially in London.

smaller country compared to USA. I dunno the populations of countries, but I think UK is lower than US, and possibly lower than Germany, but I could be wrong about Germany.

EDIT: apparently 80 million germany, but don't quote me on dat

Concerning shopping it is kind of difficult in Germany. Especially when it comes to shoes, belts etc. I usually order via internet sometimes even from the UK or US.

What is great in Germany is the bio-food. You find stores in every town, often the have meat alternatives as well.

But as in all western countries vegans are concidered some kind if mad and proun to illness in the media and the public opinion (although Daywalker is doing a great job changing that ). When my daughter was born many people asked me if I plan to "make her vegan" and all these "experts" told me that would I risk her health by doing that.

I think it is easier being vegan in the UK and the US and of course in India (Population: 1,112,225,812)

China India USA Indonesia,,..

are big UK, Germany, France, are medium in my opinion in europe the Netherlands could be midium (with small Luxemburg, Monaco, Vatican, Lichetenstein, San Marino ...)

My idea of a small country would be somewhere like Belguim ( 3/4 million I think ). Places like San Marino and Monaco, with populations only in the thousands, I would call tiny countries.