Pyramid method vs. Reverse Pyramid method

Hey, I just learned about these and incorporated the pyramid method into my workout this week. I'm definitely feeling a difference, but that also could be just because I'm doing an extra set of everything now.

Does anyone have any advice on which is more effective, or do they even make any real difference as opposed to just simply lifting my max for a certain number of reps and sets?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I didnt know this post was written long ago. The thing with pyramid is that by the time you get to the highest weight, most likely, your strength will be diminished. The reason being is because the ATP, ATP/CP, and the Glycotic pathways (which are all responsible for weight training and anaerobic training) takes time to refill so to speak. It really depends on your resting between sets.

I can tell you that if you are going for Muscular Hypertrophy, personally speaking, I dont think its a good idea. Generally to grow muscle, you keep the reps starting at 12 and end within 8 reps. The reason behind this is that you first need to engage lower threshold muscle fibers (which in this case would be when it is light at 12 reps) then progress to high threshold fibers (which is the 8 rep range).

I hope this helped. Feel free to ask questions. Again sorry for the delay.

Hey, thanks for replying!

I think you're thinking of the reverse-pyramid, at least how I understand it.

What I've been doing, and calling the pyramid method, is starting light for 12 reps, ending heavy (fourth set) with six reps.

So, for example, I do:

12 reps at 75#

10 reps at 85#

8 reps at 95#

6 reps at 105#

Like I said before, it may just be the extra set that I'm doing now, but I am definitely feeling the effects.