I need help finding articles that approve protein powder!

GbeTech

Hi everyone. For the last 2 years I've been struggling with guilt feelings about eating meat. Yesterday I finally decided it's time to go vegan.

So bodybuilding isn't new for me, I used to train a lot but after a long pause (lost all mass) I resumed 4 months ago and already gained 4kg of pure muscle!

Anyway I'm 19, still live with my parents. Since I'm starting a vegan lifestyle, protein will be harder to aquire naturally. The obvious solution is protein powder (which I haven't used once so far) but the problem - My parents believe it's completely unhealthy and threatened to throw any powder I buy out of the window!

They're rational people just uninformed.

So could you guys refer me to some medical, non BB-biased articles that prove protein powder does not hurt you?

Edited by GbeTech

You don't need the powder to find protein even on a vegan diet you've just gotta learn what to eat. Get Roberts book for a good start. Also check out Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier.

As for powders use them right you'll be fine, I use them to fine tune my diet and balance my Macronutrient levels. Just have to make sure you drink plenty of fluids. I'd recommend Vega Sport and Vegan Proteins Plus and Hemp Proteins I tend to supplement with soy only from time to time (I consume enough in my regular diet).

Just consume the amound of protein you need and in my opinion you'll be fine. Dont rely on getting all your protein from them and they won't damage you.

As for studies I wouldn't know I've just learned from experience.

Talk to your doctor and get regular blood tests if you're worried.

I comsume 200-250 grams of protein a day and that feels right for me. I've done more and found it a bit detrimental. I've done less and found it not enough. What's right for you you'll have to determine yourself regardless of studies.

• 1 month later...

I'm no expert but I think it's perfectly ok/healthy even to incorporate protein powder into your diet. When I am working out/weight-lifting 2-3 times a week, I'll have several protein shakes (Whey Protein).

However, I'm not sure if it's healthy to use Protein powder for ALL your protein needs, i.e. replace "natural" protein-rich foods with (just) powder.

You often read on these things that the powder is not supposed to replace a well-balanced diet. You can probably find out more by checking out sites/stores like Holland and Barrett, who sell protein powder. They're mainstream enough (and sell enough protein powder) to suggest that protein powder is widely accepted as safe/healthy, but I think they'll also say that it's not supposed to completely replace natural protein sources.

Anyway, best of luck in your research!