Pitted nails

Hi everyone!

For as long as I can remember I have had lots and lots of pits in my nails. I have some that run horizontally across my nails, and some are totally randomly placed.

I was wondering if this is a nutritional issue or another health issue I should be aware of. My mother also has some on her nails too, but not as much. I have been a vegetarian my whole life, so I'm wondering if I'm not getting some nutrients I should be.

If you all need pictures I can post some....they are on my big toe nails too, but not the little piggies. hehe....thanks! I hope someone can help!

Binks

I had wondered about the same thing, as I have ridges running down mine.

I searched for information on the topic before. Some sites have superficial opinions it is nutritional deficiencies. More in-depth ones state it is normal and happens as people age. Pits and running horizontal might be different.

I think mine have always had ridges running down the nail. I think since being be vegan, their strength has increased (harder to cut and grow faster

I am curious if others have the same thing?

Well, my nails aren't very strong, they never really have been. They are very flexible, and it's something that has always bothered me. According to internet research, I should have terrible sours and rashes all over my body and my hair should be falling out.........obviously this isn't the case...

I would say that the pits are worse on my ring fingers and bad, but not as bad, on my thumb, pinky, and middle finger.

The random pits are on my index finger and middle finger.....and sprinkled here and there on other fingers. The horizontal pits on on my pinky, ring finger, and thumb.......It's very strange...I hope someone has figured it out and could share the results. Thanks for the response 9nines!!!!

Binks