medical need to reduce cortisol

radict

Hey, so I've been diagnosed with this weird eye problem (central serous retinopathy, or CSR) caused by excess cortisol. It's supposed to be going away, but it's getting worse, so the doctor said I need to step up my cortisol reduction efforts.

I took a week off from lifting, and am now researching the best ways to reduce cortisol via diet. I came across a study that said you can actually reduce cortisol production by lifting weights, as long as you consume carbs and essential amino acids before, during and after training. Anyone know if that's true?

Anything else I should be doing? I get plenty of sleep, do meditate, don't smoke, drink, drug, etc., and eat as we active and weightlifting vegans are supposed to.

Any cortisol experts out there? Thanks much!

The tough part of stress is that there are so many things that cause it.

1. Do you have a true hobby? Something you love to do for hours on end is the best form of stress relief.

2. Yoga on top of meditation can be much more effective.

3. Have you tried making any lifestyle changes? I don't mean to pry, but often times the most stress can come from family members and work. If you can avoid stressful people and situations, please do it! If you cannot, at least make an attempt to smooth things out with the people that are stressing you out.

4. Do you live/work in an environment with allergens? This increases stress levels. For instance, I live in a house where my roommates have dogs, which I am allergic to. My remedy is spending most of my free time away from the house or in my room with an air purifier. I also like to be outside and take in the fresh air.

Edited by Think_machine

1. Do you have a true hobby? Something you love to do for hours on end is the best form of stress relief.

I do, actually, have several of these! That's great advice, thanks. I will definitely focus on that.

2. Yoga on top of meditation can be much more effective.

Signed up for yoga on Sunday!

3. Have you tried making any lifestyle changes? I don't mean to pry, but often times the most stress can come from family members and work. If you can avoid stressful people and situations, please do it! If you cannot, at least make an attempt to smooth things out with the people that are stressing you out.

Also great advice. My dad was in the hospital with his second heart attack when this all started, that may have played a role. My work is stressful but not abnormally so, and both my boss and coworkers are wonderful people.

4. Do you live/work in an environment with allergens? This increases stress levels. For instance, I live in a house where my roommates have dogs, which I am allergic to. My remedy is spending most of my free time away from the house or in my room with an air purifier. I also like to be outside and take in the fresh air.

I live with my girlfriend and her dog, but the dog is absolutely a stress reliever. I love the shit out of that thing. One of my big hobbies is hiking, though, which I do frequently, and I can tell a huge difference when that happens. Probably a combination of the fresh air and the love of the activity.

Thanks so much for your help!