Bulking with the Thrive Diet?

Endy

So I happen to be reading Brendan Brazier's Thrive Diet, and I'm finding it a profound read!

I have a bunch of questions (and little technical thoughts left and right), but the thing that comes to my mind strongest is this: does anyone here incorporate elements of the Thrive Diet while also bulking? Do you do it comprehensively, or only in parts?

I ask also because I see a lot of times the food people on here use while bulking (say Clif Builder Bars, with tons of saturated fat) aren't exactly the healthiest, nor are they in the Thrive Diet.

It is pretty easy to bulk on the Thrive Diet. Instead of all those Cliff Bars and such, you just need to eat more nuts and seeds. Maybe you can make a lot of the bars from his recipes. (Pseudo)grains such as quinoa are pretty calorie dense.

Also, if you are like me, you find it extremely easy to bulk off of beans, grains and starchy vegetables alone, without even much help from nuts or seeds. So, it all depends on what kind of appetite and metabolism you have. I am going to attempt my first 100% whole food bulk (except for a few supplements such as maca and creatine) this winter.

Cubby2112,

Fantastic! Thanks. Funny thing, I've been bulking off of primarily pastas, tofu, and lentils so far. So I think I'll have luck with the Thrive Diet. Good luck with your bulk too; I'll be keeping an eye on your journal.

from http://www.brendanbrazier.com/book/RQ.html

Q: Hi Brendan,

My question is actually about weight gain. I've been trying to gain weight for years, and I don't know if there is much healthy info. About that out there, as most of the focus is on weight loss. Do you have any suggestions on how to gain weight?

A: The key to healthy lean-muscle gain needs to be centered around a well-planned weight training program. Nutritionally, a good way to complement the program with the goal of building muscle is to have a nutrient-dense blender drink after each workout. Any from the book will work well. You might also want to consider having a serving of Vega Whole Food Meal Replacement after each workout. To build up quicker, soaking raw nuts and seeds over night and blending them in with a serving of Vega, a banana, and berries is a good approach. One of my favorites is:

Vega chocolate almond smoothie

1/2 serving Chocolate Vega

2 cups cold water (or 1½ cups water plus 1 cup of ice)

1 banana

½ pear

¼ cup almonds (soak raw almonds overnight)

The sweet potato oven-backed fries with homemade ketchup in the book are good bulking-up recipes.

Brendan

This is fantastic! Thanks.

from http://www.brendanbrazier.com/book/RQ.html

Q: Hi Brendan,

My question is actually about weight gain. I've been trying to gain weight for years, and I don't know if there is much healthy info. About that out there, as most of the focus is on weight loss. Do you have any suggestions on how to gain weight?

A: The key to healthy lean-muscle gain needs to be centered around a well-planned weight training program. Nutritionally, a good way to complement the program with the goal of building muscle is to have a nutrient-dense blender drink after each workout. Any from the book will work well. You might also want to consider having a serving of Vega Whole Food Meal Replacement after each workout. To build up quicker, soaking raw nuts and seeds over night and blending them in with a serving of Vega, a banana, and berries is a good approach. One of my favorites is:

Vega chocolate almond smoothie

1/2 serving Chocolate Vega

2 cups cold water (or 1½ cups water plus 1 cup of ice)

1 banana

½ pear

¼ cup almonds (soak raw almonds overnight)

The sweet potato oven-backed fries with homemade ketchup in the book are good bulking-up recipes.

Brendan

I need to actually start keeping a journal. Right now I just have progress pics up.

I've already noticed my progress, but I'm thinking I'll keep the pics until I have more time. Right now I've only really been going at it for a short time.

For now I just fill my blog with observations. I keep more detailed records on a spreadsheet.