Senator office writes back on GMO

RAINRA

I am wrote to my state senator to complain on the fact that GMO is unlabeled and in our food hidden. I think this is terrible and it should be changed. I wrote this letter 3 months ago.

Her response.

Dear Mr. Camara:

Thanks for getting in touch with me regarding your concerns about genetically engineered foods. It's good to hear from you.

I share your concerns about food safety. I want to make sure that we don't put anything in our food that will harm us or our children. There are several agencies that ensure the safety of our food, including the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). That's why I'm fighting to make sure they have the authority and resources they need to do a good job.

The FDA does not mandate or encourage the labeling of genetically engineered or "biotech" foods. You'll be interested to know, however, that the Secretary of Agriculture has announced that genetically engineered food would not be permitted to be labeled as "organic" under national standards.

Knowing of your support for a genetically modified organism (GMO) labeling requirement will be helpful to me should such legislation come to a vote before the full Senate. Rest assured that you can count on my continued support of efforts to ensure the safety of our food.

Again, thanks for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of help to you in the future.

Sincerely,

Barbara A. Mikulski

United States Senator